Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Default Re: Getting thru Maryland???

I would just stick to I-95. I've driven through MD into VA more times than I can count over the past couple of years. I have more fingers on both hands than the number of times I've seen the MDSP either clocking cars or have people pulled over. Granted, I-95 can be a pain in the ass, but you have car volume on your side; you're just a needle in a huge stack of out-of-state needles. You're not going to stand out unless your car is falling apart or you're driving like a nut.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Seph View Post
    I would just stick to I-95. I've driven through MD into VA more times than I can count over the past couple of years. I have more fingers on both hands than the number of times I've seen the MDSP either clocking cars or have people pulled over. Granted, I-95 can be a pain in the ass, but you have car volume on your side; you're just a needle in a huge stack of out-of-state needles. You're not going to stand out unless your car is falling apart or you're driving like a nut.
    I am sorry to see you are into self flagellation. I-95 is such a mess in the Baltimore-Washington-Nothern Virgina I avoid it at all costs. Double that if anything is falling from the sky!
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by gghbi View Post
    I am sorry to see you are into self flagellation. I-95 is such a mess in the Baltimore-Washington-Nothern Virgina I avoid it at all costs. Double that if anything is falling from the sky!
    Tell me about it! They should offer a ferry around that whole area.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Quote Originally Posted by gghbi View Post
    Granted, it can be a nightmare. However, on a number of occasions I've been lucky and made the trip from Delco to Bristow, VA in around 2.5 hours including a pit-stop and that's at a late morning-early afternoon drive.

(Montgomery County)

I used to take the Turnpike then US 15 twice a week for 24 years when my NIH home base was at Fort Detrick. US 15 has two areas in PA that are 50-55 mph from the Tpke exit 236 to about 10 miles South of Dillsburg and then a mile before the MD line all the way to Frederick. The regional police from the Tpke to the end of the 55 limit in PA will clock you using something akin to LIDAR particularly in the early morning, and love to sit just South of the rte 30 intersection. MD does not like PA cars above 59 mph and all police forces use Radar. However there is so much PA traffic going to Frederick that they are only after the real speed maniacs. One ticket South of Dillsburg in 24 years was not a bad record. Dave_n

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Seph View Post
    Granted, it can be a nightmare. However, on a number of occasions I've been lucky and made the trip from Delco to Bristow, VA in around 2.5 hours including a pit-stop and that's at a late morning-early afternoon drive.
    Small world. I lived a couple miles away from Bristow. The golf course we played was Bristow Manor. When I moved back to PA in 2003, it was mostly farms, and a few homes. Now it's like you are in Fairfax, all the way past Gainesville! I lived in Manassas. My kids both moved back there, and both live about a mile from where they grew up. My son and I made many trips up 95 to see the O's, the only baseball team in the area for many years.

(Lehigh County)

Thanks everyone for the replies and input !

Again; sorry for opening an old thread and basically high-jacking from the original OP.
    But I thought everyone would be interested in which route I decided to take and if I had any issues.

I took the I-81 route.
    As I expected; I traveled that section through Maryland in the dark of night heading South (4am ?) and during dusk while heading back North (5pm ?)

I drove my '08 Ford Ranger regular cab.
    With a "Choose Wisely: A) Gun Owner B) Victim" novelty front license plate, NRA Gadsden yard sign in back window, and Yinzer flag flying at back of truck.
    For various reasons; I did not take any long guns as originally intended. I only took my everyday carry pistol and double-mag holder.

Storage was:
    For unloaded pistol: 5-Star portable gun "safe" that is always in the front of my Ranger on the passenger side floor. And locked to floor mount of passenger seat.
    Image heavy duty lock box that has an integrated Kryptonite chain and lock. This outfit weighs about 30-lbs.
    For ammo: a plastic, lockable ammo can. Which I also kept on the passenger floor by the gun safe.
    Both gun safe and ammo can I kept covered with my coat and a couple other items.

I did not remove my holster and magholder from my belt when disarming.
    Disarming and rearming required me to get out of truck and walk around to passenger side.

During South bound.
    I got off I-81 at the last exit in PA; Exit 3. And disarmed while in the parking lot of the Sheetz at that exit.
    Since it was around 4am. Between store and gas pumps; there were less than six people total.
    So completely uneventful.

Once out of Marland. I rearmed at the first possible, off-highway location. The rest area at mile marker 25.
    Again since around 4am. Completely uneventful.

During North bound.
    I got off I-81 at last exit in West Virginia; Exit 23. And disarmed in the parking lot of grocery store at that exit (Giant ?).
    Since it was still somewhat light, and parking lot was rather busy. A few people noticed me disarming. But all they did was watch as if they were not certain what I was doing.
    But once they saw me walking back around pickup to driver's side with an empty holster. I think I saw one guy nod his head in approval.

Once out of Maryland and back in PA. I rearmed at the same Sheetz at Exit 3.
    It was dark by then. And although it was crowded; I don't think anyone noticed me.
    --ET

(Franklin County)

For a few years I owned a rental property in WV. I've done the same routine many many times. I've even seen others doing that routine. It would be interesting to set up an OP at the WV welcome center and count the number of people a day that unlock and reload firearms in that rest area.
    There's a pulloff on highway 11 just inside WV before crossing into MD. I was taking that route home one day because the construction on 81 had the traffic backed up. At the pulloff I saw a guy with a Harley Davidson pulled off (I was on my motorcycle as well). I pulled over, walked over to ask him if he was alright, broken down (you know, HD ), whatever. Yes, he had pulled over to unload for the trip through MD as well. We both found it amusing.
    The Hostler

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678