Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Reduced Recoil loads that bring a 12 gauge down to 20?

Hi. Does anybody know of any 12 gauge reduced recoil shotgun ammo, appropriate for home defense, that brings the recoil down to level of a 20 gauge home defense load?

I already have two home defense shotguns in 12 gauge but the typical 12 gauge home defense load has a too much recoil for the liking of my significant other who, at 5' and 100lbs, finds the 20 gauge far more manageable. However, rather than investing in another shotgun, I'd like to see if there are any reduced recoil 12 gauge loads that I might load up my 12 gauge with instead that bring the recoil down to 20 gauge levels.

If anyone has any suggestions, please share.

Thanks.

(Centre County)

Default Re: Reduced Recoil loads that bring a 12 gauge down to 20?

Pump or Semi? Some semi's don't like light loads.

(Lawrence County)

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by SNAFUG36 View Post
    Pump or Semi? Some semi's don't like light loads.
    Pump shotguns.

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    Do you have any personal experience with these loads that would allow you to attest to just how "reduced" the recoil of these loads feel compared to a normal 12 gauge load? How about compared to a 20 gauge load that is commonly used for self-defense?

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by stud40111 View Post
    Pump shotguns.

Do you have any personal experience with these loads that would allow you to attest to just how "reduced" the recoil of these loads feel compared to a normal 12 gauge load? How about compared to a 20 gauge load that is commonly used for self-defense?
    Actually yes. I've shot reduced recoil slugs and buckshot in competition. They equate to a duck and pheasant load in my 1100. Personally, I think the 20 kicks just as hard with magnums as does the 12....often due to reduced weight.

Lycansecondpassthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Philadelphia County)

I've been thinking about this as well. I think the gauge alone is not a very good indicator of recoil.

The actual backwards momentum of the shotgun you're holding, is equal and opposite to the momentum of the shell flying out the other end. So what matters most is the weight of the shot and how fast it's going. The gauge only tells you the size of the tube through which the shell passes.

The federal reduced recoil load is 9 pellets at 1140 fps, the regular load is the 9 pellets at 1325 fps. So the reduction in recoil should be about 15%. Hard to translate this to perceived recoil though.

A lot of the 20 gauge buckshot on offer is smaller pellets, but similar weight and velocity to the reduced recoil 12 gauge stuff. Therefore recoil would be similar - but it might feel worse because a lighter 20 gauge gun will move faster (momentum being mass * velocity).

Are you looking for Buck and slug light loads or just a HD light load? Remington makes a light game load of #4 shot and some others are at 1000ft/s.

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    Actually yes. I've shot reduced recoil slugs and buckshot in competition. They equate to a duck and pheasant load in my 1100. Personally, I think the 20 kicks just as hard with magnums as does the 12....often due to reduced weight.

Lycansecondpassthrope
    That was my though when I read the heading. That being said we used "Featherlight" loads for cowboy action shooting. Think they were Winchester.

(Allegheny County)

You're kind of limited when it comes to 20 guage buckshot. The largest pellet I've been able to find in 20 is a 3" #2 - 18 pellets @ 1200 fps. Seems to me you'd be giving up a lot of knockdown potential without gaining much in reduced recoil by going to a 20.

Why not have her practice with the lightest 12 guage bird shot you can find. If she can get comfortable with shooting those, you'll be good to go. If it ever comes to her using the 12 for self defense she will never perceive the recoil due to the stress level.
    Last edited by Hawk; January 18th, 2012 at 01:39 PM.
    Toujours prêt

(Cambria County)

Another way to reduce recoil is to increase the weight of the gun. The rear stock of most shotguns has about a 3/4" tunnel where the bolt attaches it to the receiver. Six or seven inches of 1/2" copper pipe will fit in there. Fill the pipe with lead or solder. It will be around pound. Trim the pipe about 1/4" shorter that the tunnel. Cap the ends with silicon and let it dry to keep it snug. This is a great way to reduce recoil if the gun stays in the house. If you later use the shotgun to go chasing rabbits the weight increases to ten pounds.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast