Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Custom Ear Plugs

Well, I am tired of using junk/disposable ear plugs. I actually prefer using a good pair of electronic muffs, but they are not always an option based on what I am doing. For example, shooting clays or wearing particular head wear. I broke down today and went to an audiologist. He cast an impression of my ear. The impression has been sent to a lab. I should have my new plugs in less than two weeks. I am excited to get them back. I paid $65 for them. I know that Radians sells a "do it yourself" kit that is commercially available. Let me tell you, I would have NEVER gotten the mixture as deep into my ear canal as the doctor did today. My plugs will be covered with a protective coating, shaved for perfect fit and then refit by the doctor. I know I spent a little more money than visiting the booth at the National Matches at Camp Perry, but I have the piece of mind of knowing that I had a doctor shoot the shit into my ear. I watched the lady at Camp Perry yell at a guy last year for squirming. They have a noise reduction rating of 26, which is better than what I am using now. They will also fit flush to my ear, so I should be able to comfortably wear an outer pair of muffs while shooting indoors or when I have the rare chance to shoot my buddy's .338 Lapua. A full report to follow once I have them back. Anyone else choose to go this route?
    Jules

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Custom Ear Plugs

I've had my custom plugs for over 5 years now. Love em.
    An armed society is a polite society. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by reflection View Post
    I've had my custom plugs for over 5 years now. Love em.
    Great. I will be glad to get two years out of them!
    Jules

(Franklin County)

My next step is a custom set. Right now I use the do-it-yourself kit I got at Cabela's for $20. I fit the mix myself and they work pretty well, much better than the disposable or plastic crap ones. The noise reduction on the ones I have now are good enough to comfortably shoot my PT145 without any ringing afterwards.

What doctor did you go to? The ones I contacted around the Harrisburg area all wanted in the range of $100-$150 for a set.

i have a pair, and while they are no longer the tightest fit I would get another pair.
    I got mine when I was 13-14 and starting to shoot trap competively. They worked great with a nice snug fit but the last few years they have started to get loose. I figure this is due to my ear changing over the past 8 years.