Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Reloading for USPSA / IDPA

Over the past couple of months I have been slowly moving towards reloading my own ammunition. I have began reading the ABC's of Reloading, while window shopping for a press. I haven't been able to make a decision on what route I want to go, but I think I've narrowed it down to the RCBS Rock Chucker Kit or the Hornady Lock n Load Classic Kit.

The purpose of reloading is to ease the cost of shooting USPSA. As it stands, I hope to shoot 1 match per month with store bought ammo. If I can get into reloading, I would like to increase that to 2 matches per month.

I generally pick up a Mega Pack of Remington UMC for each match (250 Rounds). I'm wondering now, thought, if a single stage press is my best option for 500 rounds per month? Would I be better served with something like a Lee Turret or possibly even a Lee Progressive?

For the most part, I'll be reloading 9mm. I'd like to have the option to reload rifle cartridges in the future, but I would consider that a perk and not a necessity (I very rarely shoot rifle).

If you were in my position, no reloading experience, shooting roughly 500 rounds of pistol ammo every month, how would you set yourself up?

The USPSA season doesn't start for a couple of months. I have a $300 budget at the moment (which is why I was looking at a Kit). I figure that I can spend that much now and then buy a tumbler, dies, bullets, primer, power, etc. as the season gets closer.

(Mifflin County)

Default Re: Reloading for USPSA / IDPA

Speaking as someone who has reloaded for 2+ matches a month on a single stage press, I have to say, get a progressive. I wish I would have, and if not for the fact that I'm liking going back to just 1 (centerfire) match a month this season, I most likely would have gotten one this winter.

Granted, it might be nicer to learn on a single stage, and probably a little easier to "work up loads" using one, doing any high volume on one is very time consuming. If your money allows, get both. It was always my plan to keep the single stage, if I got a progressive. Learn to load on the single stage, and use it to work up loads, and for small runs of other calibers, then use the progressive for your volume loading.

(Monroe County)

One word: Dillon

I know its more than you want to spend but in the long run you will be very happy. If you are looking to stay with one calliber and no rifle cartriges I suggest the Square deal B.

It gets delivered to your front door ready to load. I try to shoot every weekend almost completely IDPA. On a year that I get to shoot as much as I want I shoot through about 10K of 9mm. At that rate my SDB paid its way very quickly. I am currently considering a second SDB in 45.

I was tempted by the Lee pro 1000 since I do not shoot that much 45 I figured for $180 I could get by. I looked at a pro 1000 at Cabellas the other day and said no instantaneously. Way too many adjustments and chincy looking parts. Try to find someone near you or a friend to show you their dillon press. Once you see and feel the quality you will want nothing else.

(Lehigh County)

i use a lee classic turret. you can also use this as a single stage press if you like.
    if you get into reloading other pistol cals, you can have it setup to just change the turret.
    i also have a rcbs single, had it for 25 years, great for doing small loads to test, you can pick up a used one for $50 or less.

(Dauphin County)

For your price range I recommend the LEE classic Turret press. It can index to speed things up for pistol rounds or you can take out the indexing rod and use it as a single stage. Plus the removable turrets allow you to have entire calibers set up and ready to go. I cant imagine trying to use a single stage set up for more than 250 rounds at a time.

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by wwhite72082 View Post
    snipped

If you were in my position, no reloading experience, shooting roughly 500 rounds of pistol ammo every month, how would you set yourself up?

The USPSA season doesn't start for a couple of months. I have a $300 budget at the moment (which is why I was looking at a Kit). I figure that I can spend that much now and then buy a tumbler, dies, bullets, primer, power, etc. as the season gets closer.
    You will be hard pressed (that's intentional) to feed your 500 round per month habit with a single stage press. To do so you'll find yourself spending most of your "free" time reloading.

Save your money a little longer and get a progressive. My personal choice is the Dillon RL550B mine is now 20 years old.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Erie County)

I used to load on a single stage press (Lee Challenger), and still have the press for rifle rounds, or low volume runs of pistol rounds. I moved up to a Dillon RL 550B progressive, and it is just a joy to load ammunition with.

For your situation, I'd make one of two suggestions. First, as reichebrown suggested, a Dillon Square Deal 'B' press, set up for 9mm ($370.95). Second, I'd recommend a Dillon BL 550 press, which can later be upgraded to a RL 550B as you feel like upping your production ($259.95).

The advantage of a Dillon, time and energy involved while loading. On a single stage press, you have to pull the lever once for each and every function (deprime/size, expand, seat, crimp), on a Dillon, every pull of the handle results in a loaded round. Or, put it this way, pull the handle 2000 times to load 500 rounds, or pull the handle 500 times to load 500 rounds.
    "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."
    United States Constitution - 2nd Amendment

I load for USPSA and started with 1 lee pro 1000 in 45 acp. I curenntly have two on in 45acp and one in 40S&W. If you go on the lee website you can buy refurbised ones a little cheaper than cabella's. I didnt want to get $600 deep into reloading in the beginning with a dillion. I have had little to no problem loading 3k + in the last 6 months would of loaded more just need more cash for loading supplies...
    Tantric Shooting Team

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kiski Cowboy View Post
    Or, put it this way, pull the handle 2000 times to load 500 rounds, or pull the handle 500 times to load 500 rounds.

This says it all! Wow!

(Montgomery County)

I would get this kit, and a good scale and go to town

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/428...-kit-9mm-luger

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast