Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Getting ready to make the move from NJ

Hey guys!

Im new here,my name is Joe. I have lived in NJ all of my life.

Within the past few years i have gotten into competition shooting (Steel,uspsa) and became part of the fight for NJ's 2nd amendment. Starting my own 2A rights group, The New Jersey Concealed Carry Association. Long story short, its time to make the move. Not just for gun rights, but for the cost of living and peace of mind.

I've chosen Bucks county because its only 35 minutes from my family and work. Bristol precisely due to its location near a Hospital, food stores,shopping, shooting range's, fishing,Golf,ETC.

Ive been looking at 2 apartments

1.stone bridge run apartments
    2.bristol gardens apartments

I have let to see them in person, but hopefully they're decent for now.

----------

So thats the background...

My questions are

1. How is the area im looking at? Bristol area?

2. How long do i have to be a resident to get my PA drivers license?

3. I am also a FL CCW holder.How long do i have to be a resident to get my PA ccw license? I know there's an office right in town to apply.

Levittown Government Services Center, 7321 New Falls Road, Levittown.
    Monday – Friday, 8: 30 am to 4 pm

Would i still have to go all the way to the courthouse 45 mins away to pick up or interview for my permits? or can i get it right in town where i applied?

(I know i have reciprocity, so maybe i dont even need to do this)

3.Is there a local club that does comp shooting? Steel, uspsa,idpa,3 gun? Ive been looking at the Langhorne Rod and Gun Club.

-----

Im very excited for this. Especially to live in a free state. It's going to be so weird buying 30 round mags and not worrying about having them pinned at 15 lol

Thanks guys
    Last edited by Zorro732; January 15th, 2012 at 10:35 PM.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Getting ready to make the move from NJ

Hey congrats! We'll be sort of neighbors! I don't live too far from where you are looking at.

We went to Doylestown to get our LTCF. You can get in and out in a half hour WITH your license if you don't have to wait in line. If you do it here, I think you have to wait for it to come in the mail in a few weeks. Its worth the 45 minute drive to Doylestown. Although if you have reciprocity I wouldn't see why you'd need to apply until yours expires, but then I'm more of a newbie so somebody else might have a better answer.

Bristol is okay....I don't know what you are comparing to as far as having lived in New Jersey.... Langhorne is probably nicer than Bristol but it depends on your budget, too. Did you check Middletown Trace Apartments?

I think you can get a PA drivers license right away as long as you have proof of residence....but that might have changed since we moved here like 10 years ago.

The other guys will know more about gun clubs...we recently joined a regular range, Classic Pistol, in Southampton..but its not a club.

Welcome to America! haha
    "Stupid people are ruining America." --Herman Cain

(Bucks County)

Welcome to Bucks County.

I went to the court house in Doylestown for my ltcf. Filled out paper work, paid, pic taken, walked out with license in hand. Even recieved a reminder in the mail from the sherrif's office before mine expired reminding me to renew.

The government bldg in Levittown is going to just mail it to Doylestown, then back to you.

If you can get in, Falls Twp Rifle and Pistol Assoc is the place to join in my opinion.

Welcome again, glad you escaped

Thanks for the warm welcome guys! i cant wait

Ill have to check out the middletown trace when i come apartment hunting next week or so.

Also are there any car dealerships around the area? Thats where i would end up working. I been all over google maps for a couple weeks checking out the area

(Bucks County)

There's a bunch....for instance on Lincoln Hwy.... Reedman-Toll is huge, and McCafferty's is another huge one, both on the same road. They would be considered "Langhorne" or maybe "Fairless Hills"....around here, I'm always confused where the town lines end. As a matter of fact, our zip code is one city but our actual address is a different city. And I do my business consults at a local coffee shop and when I give out the address, it comes up in a Google search as any one of three different towns! Weird.
    "Stupid people are ruining America." --Herman Cain

Very nice! Thanks for the info guys.

No more

-Pistol permits
    -fid cards for ammo
    -15 rd mags
    -Fixed/pinned stocks
    -Pinned and welded muzzle breaks
    -deviation clause while driving to the range

-Super high car insurance
    -$1500 rent for a 1 room apartment

(Mifflin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro732 View Post
    3. I am also a FL CCW holder.How long do i have to be a resident to get my PA ccw license? I know there's an office right in town to apply.

Levittown Government Services Center, 7321 New Falls Road, Levittown.
    Monday – Friday, 8: 30 am to 4 pm

Would i still have to go all the way to the courthouse 45 mins away to pick up or interview for my permits? or can i get it right in town where i applied?

(I know i have reciprocity, so maybe i dont even need to do this)
    Can't help with the rest, but the federal gun free school zone law effectively renders reciprocity useless. Get your PA LTCF once you move and have your PA driver's license.

Quote Originally Posted by IV_Warrior View Post
    Can't help with the rest, but the federal gun free school zone law effectively renders reciprocity useless. Get your PA LTCF once you move and have your PA driver's license.
    So in the mean time, your saying i cant carry in PA with my FL non resident CCW license?
    New Jersey Concealed Carry Association- http://www.facebook.com/groups/NJCCW/

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro732 View Post
    So in the mean time, your saying i cant carry in PA with my FL non resident CCW license?
    Not within 1000ft of a school. It's not a PA law, but a federal law. To carry in a school zone you need a permit/license to carry in the state that you are in.

The apartments your looking at have their fair share of miscreants to watch out for. You need to reconsider these places. Your going to make a target out of yourself when the local hoodlums take note of what your carrying in and out of your apartment. Firearms, gold clubs, etc attract their criminal attention. Take a closer look at rental houses in the bourgh. The costs will be close to the same though the water utility will be yours to pay. Slightly further down Rt 13 is Croyden with a lot of single homes, and Tullytown is a quiet town.

I'm going to call a friend of mine, he has a rental property in Bristol. I'll PM you when I find out if that is available.

Edit: I was able to reach him quickly. The property was rented just before Christmas. What a shame. It sits on a decent size piece of land, has 3 bedrooms and an unfinished basement. It's on a quiet road that isn't on the beaten path. $1200+utilities. And he's a good guy who takes care of issues fast. I'm usually the one who handles his repairs.
    Last edited by ErSwnn; January 16th, 2012 at 02:14 PM.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast