Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: CB Radio

Default Re: CB Radio

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Probably going to get a discone. Just haven't picked one up yet.
    Cool. You probably know this already, but if not... diskcones have really low gain numbers. Like, almost unity. An RF amp will help offset line loss if it's a long run back to your radio (details).

Radio Shack sells a generic diskcone (product link), but like most it runs out of gas below 6M (50 MHz) and is a tad fragile. The upshot: easy to assemble, can pack into a tubular container and cheap. I'd have a look at more professional models (Diamond Discone D-130J comes to mind) since Rat Shack's has a SO-239 connector, which is a dead-giveaway they haven't a clue (or care about) return loss. The D-130 (product link) comes factory fitted with an N connector, which is *much* better suited to shorter wavelengths. The irony: there's $40 difference in price.

Post results, perspiring minds want to know.
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

(Luzerne County)

Mounted the antenna last nite. Still need to route the wire into the cab. And mount the radio.

troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by normanvin View Post
    Mounted the antenna last nite. Still need to route the wire into the cab. And mount the radio.
    When I had a pickemup truck a few years ago with a whip on the rollbar, I had routed the wire through one of the drain holes in the bed, along the frame rails and up through the firewall into the cab.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Luzerne County)

When I had a pickemup truck a few years ago with a whip on the rollbar, I had routed the wire through one of the drain holes in the bed, along the frame rails and up through the firewall into the cab.
    I was thinking along those lines. Or get a bulkhead fitting and go through the cab. Not crazy about drill holes in the truck.

(Lancaster County)

I was thinking along those lines. Or get a bulkhead fitting and go through the cab. Not crazy about drill holes in the truck.
    If you look around on your firewall, you'll probably find a couple of rubber plugs that are already filling in holes. They're there for options that your truck doesn't have. You can normally just drill a hole just a little smaller than your coax and feed it through. That's what I've done on several occasions in cars and never once had a leak. But if you're concerned about leaks you can always seal around it with silicone.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Luzerne County)

If you look around on your firewall, you'll probably find a couple of rubber plugs that are already filling in holes. They're there for options that your truck doesn't have. You can normally just drill a hole just a little smaller than your coax and feed it through. That's what I've done on several occasions in cars and never once had a leak. But if you're concerned about leaks you can always seal around it with silicone.
    I think there also may be a plug at the back of the cab. I just have to crawl around a bit to look.

Warmer days are coming for that.

(York County)

Did you mount the antenna to the box or to the truck body? Your antenna is going to require a good and proper RF ground to function efficiently and not risk damage to the output of your radio.

Just another thing to consider. If it is mounted to the box you can ground the box, you just need to make sure you are using a braided ground strap instead of a simple wire. Your antenna needs a radio frequency (RF) ground, not a DC ground.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    Did you mount the antenna to the box or to the truck body? Your antenna is going to require a good and proper RF ground to function efficiently and not risk damage to the output of your radio.

Just another thing to consider. If it is mounted to the box you can ground the box, you just need to make sure you are using a braided ground strap instead of a simple wire. Your antenna needs a radio frequency (RF) ground, not a DC ground.
    Have not done that yet. Putting it on the list. thanks.

(York County)

Have not done that yet. Putting it on the list. thanks.
    If the antenna is mounted to the box, and the box is directly and metal-to-metal bolted to the truck body, you will likely not need to add an RF ground, but, given the vinyl runners the box appears to be sitting on I am assuming you will need it.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    If the antenna is mounted to the box, and the box is directly and metal-to-metal bolted to the truck body, you will likely not need to add an RF ground, but, given the vinyl runners the box appears to be sitting on I am assuming you will need it.
    It is mounted to the tool box. The tool box is clamped to the bed. Th 2010s have a rubber guard around the edge of the bed. And the metal is painted. Best to just run a ground and be done with it.

I think I may even have some braided ground strap in the basement.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast