Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default How did I do on these AR's?

My AR is a kit from del-ton. It came as a standard flat top upper with the standard hand guards, FSB, etc. Well I got some extra cash over christmas so I bought a YHM diamond series free float rail and a YHM flip up front sight/gas block.

The AR on the top is my step dads. Its an S&W M&P 15 sport. He saw mine and decided he likes the "monolithic" look so he ordered a specter length hand guard, a low pro gas block, and an end cap (all yhm). It covers up the carbine gas system pretty nicely. The S&W was a real pain in the ass. S&W puts the FSB taper pins in from "right to left" instead of "left to right". After that the barrel nut was a real stubborn bitch. I had it in an upper receiver block from brownells which was clamped into my shop vise. The damn barrel nut just would not come off and I was starting to wear down the "teeth" (correct term?) on the barrel nut. So I stuck it in the freezer and 4 hours later it came off real nice and smooth with minimum torque.

YHM makes some pretty good parts (for the price). There were a lot of burs that were phosphated over around all the little heat vents. And on my 12 inch rail there was a little ding on where the rail met the receiver (see pic). I didn't send it back because I didn't think it was that big a deal, but YHM should exercise some better quality control. All in all, I think it went well. Im 18 and by no means a gunsmith, but it was fun. So how does everyone think I did?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "All we have is a temporary bill of privileges" - George Carlin

(Cumberland County)

Thumbs up Re: How did I do on these AR's?

looks like a job well done to me. the true test is in the shooting, let us know how they work. congrats it feels good when you do something yourself don,t it.

(Beaver County)

Default Re: How did I do on these AR's?

They both look good.Of course we'll expect a range report with pictures.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

(Allegheny County)

I still need to figure out how to put one of these things together..

this calls for a mandatory RANGE REPORT.

Dont Forget To Give Me Some Good Rep! Thanks!

(Chester County)

Range report expected by this staurday

(Philadelphia County)

Great job! Sticking the thing in the freezer is a good idea. I've never thought of that. I wonder if it can hurt the receiver. S&W likes their stuff tightened for sure. I had an M&P 15T and could never get the castle nut to come loose.

The only thing I would recommend is an winter trigger guard (Magpul aluminum is a good one). Besides allowing for easier gloved shooting, it makes the grip more comfortable by taking away the gap between the trigger guard and the grip. This gap is uncomfortable for people with smaller and/or boney hand.

Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama

(Allegheny County)

I really like my YHM Diamond rail. I had an issue getting it to align / be flush with the receiver at first. But after a few go's around I got it. I didn't have any burrs or dings in mine. Though I've "added" a few through use...

Good job! And make sure to check those gas block screws after a few trips to the range. (Heating /cooling cycles.)

(Chester County)

Forgot to post a range report!

Everything held up very nice. No one died. The clamp on gas block did no move one micron and the flip up sight was very sturdy so it made zeroing easy. I put 50 or so round down the pipe so we'll see how she handles with about 4 or 500 more in the future. I would definitely recommend the flip up front gas block from YHM if you guys want the FSB out of your sight picture, but would still like good old iron sights as a back up. The rail preformed as expected. Boosted accuracy around 1/2 MOA so that a good thing. Il see how tight the groups really get once I put on the Nikon Prostaff I'm waiting for