Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default What 1911 NOT to consider?

I would like to pick up a 1911 in the next few months to use as an open carry weapon. I have a concealed carry handgun but if concealment is not a concern I'd like to move beyond the 9mm I have. With that said, are there any specific manufacturers that you would suggest avoiding? I don't have experience with many manufacturers, so I'm unsure if there are any to avoid.

For example, what about Rock Island, Taurus, or Ruger? Are all these viable options or should I be sticking to Springfield, Kimber and Colt?

(York County)

Default Re: What 1911 NOT to consider?

You will more than likely get a lot of responses from your post. My suggestion would be to take the advice from those who have actually owned or now of someone who owns the brand they tell you is junk. Do your research smart and you will not go wrong.

I have owned a PT1911 and it was awesome and I have a Kimber and it's awesome. Narrow down what you like based on your budget and do your research and you will more than likely not go wrong.
    Rehab is for quitters!!

(Lawrence County)

Llama.

Star.

Lycannotalwaysstandard1911partsthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    Llama.

Star.
    Both of those are really only 1911-ish although I would really like to have a Star PD.

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by NRA Recruiter View Post
    Both of those are really only 1911-ish although I would really like to have a Star PD.
    Yes, but those are often sold as "1911's".

If you don't have experience...then you need to know.

Lycannotabigcoltfaneitherthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Philadelphia County)

My first choice in a 1911 would be a Springfield, after that Rock Island or Colt. Kimber hasn't ever really impressed me with their reputation.
    Warning: I may not read responses to OP before posting

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    Yes, but those are often sold as "1911's".
    Never noticed that but then again I've always known that they were just 1911-ish.

(Bucks County)

I've honestly heard nothing bad from RIA, Ruger..

But from my personally expeirence when I was in the market I was originally looking at those brands/models you might be thinking of, but live by more of a buy once cry once and saved up for something I truly wanted and got a springfield armory loaded 1911

Its what you want out of it I guess, it was my first 1911 so I kind of wanted to get what I want could maybe hold on to for awhile, carry for self defense

But really most of the entry level 1911s as some would say are pretty darn reliable and have yet to really hear a bad word from someone, like I said its what do you want to use and get out of it
    Last edited by Svickstc; January 15th, 2012 at 01:27 AM.

(Centre County)

I own a Taurus PT1911 and it has not given me any problems at all. It was a good price and has a lot of the "bells and whistles" already on it.

Next, I also own 2 Rock Islands, one was a goverment model that I modified (gussied up) and the other was the tactical version. Again, I have not had any problems with either and they can shoot better than I can hold.

On the Ruger, I am a Ruger fan and will be getting a SR1911 as soon as I can. Again a 1911 with a lot of extras already on it.

I don't have any experience with some of the other models (Citadel, etc.) so I'm not the one to say anything about them.

Kimber had some problems in the past, but it looks like they have gotten past that period and seem to be making a quality gun.

Springfield has been a good gun in the past and I have no doubt that they will continue to to make a quality product.

But, for a first 1911, I don't think you can beat the RIA, especially the tactical model (for one it has better sights than the gov't model). For the money it is a really good buy.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Legion_Prime View Post
    My first choice in a 1911 would be a Springfield, after that Rock Island or Colt. Kimber hasn't ever really impressed me with their reputation.
    That is not first hand experience. I can tell you I have owned 3 of the 4 guns you mentioned and the Springfield was by far the worst. As far as fit and finish the Kimber is far superior. Once again this is based on the ones I own(ed).

Would I ever own another Springfield? Yes I probably would. I would think that SA, RIA, Colt or Kimber would be a brand to stay away from.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast