Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Threaded View

(Franklin County)

Default Re: If an officer asks to see your weapon?

Quote Originally Posted by mosseater View Post
    What about politely acknowledging it's an affront to your rights, but in the interest of both your safety you will divulge the info. Something like:
    I know I have no legal obligation to answer the question, but in the interest of both our continued safetly during this stop, I will tell you I do have a LTCF and am currently carrying a sidearm in "X" location. How would you like to proceed?

I was under the assumption that if you did something illegal incipient to a stop, they then had a right to ask certain questions, related or not. On the other hand, if you are stopped for no apparent reason (ie, casual contact or dui checkpoint, for example), you are under no obligation to cooperate. Am I wrong that your being stopped for a violation gives them more leeway in asking questions? I know you don't have to incriminate yourself, but is asking about a legal activity really incrimination, or is it all about being none of their damn business? Not being smart, just want clarification.
    The problem with admitting that you are armed is the fear of it leading to violations of your rights such as searches and extended detention.
    The police are legally allowed to ask you anything they want to, any time they want to. Simply asking a question is not a violation of your rights or the law. Hell, its not even illegal for them to lie and tell you that you must answer their questions. Its up to you to not answer the questions. You have to draw the line, not them.
    Last edited by ray h; January 15th, 2012 at 01:10 AM.