Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast
    (Dauphin County)

Question If an officer asks to see your weapon?

Just a scenario if you were pulled over on a traffic stop and the officer asked if there are any weapons in the car and you disclose that you are in posseion of a gun with a LTCF. I know that it is a touchy subject regarding the officer taking your firearm from you during a stop which has nothing to do with your gun, but is demanded they want to take possesion of the firearm. My question is I never feel safe handing someone a loaded gun that I dont know! Reason I ask is a few years ago while hunting I had a WCO check my information in the field and asked to see my rifle. I started to unload it an he said it was not necessary to unload it. I said yes it is I dont know you. Can I say/do the same thing if my firearm is requested by an officer? I dont feel safe handing anyone a loaded firearm without me knowing they can properly handle it (loading, unloading, proper operation, etc)

(Bucks County)

Default Re: If an officer asks to see your weapon?

PA doesn't have any disclosure laws....I don't see why you'd have to tell them...and they sure have no right to take it from you if you didn't use it. But most here know more than me about it.
    "Stupid people are ruining America." --Herman Cain

(Delaware County)

You're making it complicated.

I'll pretty much deny any request an officer makes
    As far as a demand, I'll comply under duress but strongly and verbally state no consent.

If he is going to physically force something, nothing you do is going to stop him

No consent, no duty to inform and generally, not answering any questions

Seem harsh? Seem anti cop? Whatever, I have a lot to lose, cops dont

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerJon View Post
    You're making it complicated.

I'll pretty much deny any request an officer makes
    As far as a demand, I'll comply under duress but strongly and verbally state no consent.

If he is going to physically force something, nothing you do is going to stop him

No consent, no duty to inform and generally, not answering any questions

Seem harsh? Seem anti cop? Whatever, I have a lot to lose, cops dont
    ^^^THIS^^^
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Blastem View Post

Just a scenario if you were pulled over on a traffic stop and the officer asked if there are any weapons in the car ...

Tell the officer that until he advises you of your rights, he can
    not ask you any questions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

Sinking Spring/Wernersville, Pennsylvania
    (Berks County)

I have only been pulled over once, and I was not asked if I was armed, but I have no plans to ever disclose to a police officer if I am armed (unless I am OC'ing).

You are not legally obligated (in PA) to inform a LEO that you are carrying, so my suggestion is that you not do so. If he does not know, he will not be tempted to erroneously take it from you, and both of you will be much safer with the gun in the holster throughout the entire encounter.
    "Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." - JOHN ADAMS, 2nd President of the United States of America

(Beaver County)

I will add that typically if you are being illegally disarmed, your hands going anywhere near your firearm will result in you looking at the wrong end of an officer's weapon. Generally speaking they will have you assume some position(for Viper its face in the dirt), then they will attempt to figure out how your holster works(as your praying you dont get shot with your own gun), then they will attempt to figure out how the firearm works so they can unload it(as you hope they dont scratch, etc your gun). Now again results may vary.
    So to answer part of what you asked, No you will not be able to hand them the firearm unloaded. I'm not a LEO nor a Lawyer but in general observation thats how it works.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gun View Post
    Tell the officer that until he advises you of your rights, he can not ask you any questions.
    Better yet, just tell him you choose not to answer any questions. His reading you your rights won't give you any protection if you say something which can be used against you. In fact, it could work against you.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gun View Post
    Tell the officer that until he advises you of your rights, he can
    not ask you any questions.
    Huh?

As to the OP. I would check with the officer before doing anything like that.

"Officer, may I drop the magazine and lock the slide back before I hand it to you?"

If he's a gun guy, he'll know that this is the way to properly do it. If he's a non gun guy, anti 2nd A type, he'll be sure that you are incapable of safe handling because he's the trained professional.

The bottom line is that you should state your lack of consent at being disarmed and then proceed as directed.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by acosenza2 View Post
    I have only been pulled over once, and I was not asked if I was armed, but I have no plans to ever disclose to a police officer if I am armed (unless I am OC'ing).

You are not legally obligated (in PA) to inform a LEO that you are carrying, so my suggestion is that you not do so. If he does not know, he will not be tempted to erroneously take it from you, and both of you will be much safer with the gun in the holster throughout the entire encounter.
    I know we are not obligated to inform a LEO that we are carrying, but once that question is asked, are there issues that could arise if we were to say "no" and they found out otherwise?

Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast