Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: If an officer asks to see your weapon?

This is the reason I try to avoid confrontation with any cops. I simply cannot afford to defend myself against any government. While I am a firm believer in my rights, I am not foolish enough to take on any cop, anywhere. Just see no way of really winning in the long run. I work way too hard for my money to spend it defending a freedom that may have been defended by just being polite. At the end of the day if the cop is going to violate you with intent, its going to happen no matter what you do. I just hope I am never in that position.

Awesome feedback on here! Great reads!

Quote Originally Posted by longcall911 View Post
    I believe your statement is quite accurate and is one that deserves a great deal of thought and consideration in preparation of an eventual police stop. Each person, must of course, make that decision for himself.

For me, and I suspect for many others here, I will use non-physical resistance until my mental strength and money have run dry. I simply refuse to be controlled. I'm not saying that to puff my chest. I'm too old for puffing. I say that because individual freedom from control by others is worth the fight and whatever money I may have.

My kids are all grown and I am responsible only for myself these days. A man or woman with kids to feed, would need to give thought to the consequences. Not everyone in a society is required to fight, but some must. IMO, the person who is able to fight but who surrenders simply because it is cheaper to do so, is most often the one who will have the more difficult road ahead.

(Montgomery County)

Question, if stopped for a traffic stop and the officer asks if you have any weapons in the car, don't you have to tell them that you have a gun at that point? I was under the impression that if asked, you actually did have to at that point.

While it would be nearly impossible to prove that you did have one without violating illegal search and siezure laws you would never be found out, but I thought you had to tell them if asked directly.

Quote Originally Posted by longcall911 View Post
    You don't have to inform, and you don't have to answer his question if he asks it, yet you would tell him you had a gun and if he takes it you would run away to a safe place and write some emails?

Wow, way to stand up for yourself. I guess some people are fine with being victimized. No thanks. I'll go toe-to-toe with the bully. If I lose, I know I stood up and fought. Fuck email.

Quote Originally Posted by Glock9mm View Post
    Question, if stopped for a traffic stop and the officer asks if you have any weapons in the car, don't you have to tell them that you have a gun at that point? I was under the impression that if asked, you actually did have to at that point.

While it would be nearly impossible to prove that you did have one without violating illegal search and siezure laws you would never be found out, but I thought you had to tell them if asked directly.
    You have the right to remain silent...
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

(Northampton County)

Like you said. It's too expensive to defend our rights. The cop will violate them anyway if he wants to. Submit and waive all your rights up front. Do whatever he asks, tell him whatever he wants to know. Confess to anything he accuses you of.

(Montgomery County)

Probably best
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinHEMI View Post
    You have the right to remain silent...

Probably best
    I personally don't answer any questions not related to the stop..., and because I can't keep my right foot off the floor, I get stopped frequently.

If I say anything, it is usually in the form of a question in return.

ALWAYS polite. I never get smart or huffy about my rights, but I remain assertive in that I will NOT go on a fishing trip with them.

I have never yet had a cop get "hostile" and start making demands, but if they did, I would "comply under duress." I too, do not want to get shot or go to jail, but I will make damn well sure that they know that they have crossed a line at that point.

Justin

PS I am often let off with warnings, even when "remaining silent." Contrary to what some here think, remaining silent or not answering every question the cop asks is NOT being disrespectful or hassling the cop.
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

Question, if stopped for a traffic stop and the officer asks if you have any weapons in the car, don't you have to tell them that you have a gun at that point?
    I was a bit emotional in that post, and wish I hadn't said part of it, but so be it.

To answer your question, no you don't have to tell the LEO that you have a gun. You can say nothing as JustinHEMI explains, or you can answer with a question. If stopped for a speeding for example, if he asks "do you have any weapons?" you can ask "what does any of that have to do pulling me over for speeding?"

If he demands that you step out of the car and by doing so you are sure that he will see your lawful weapon, then you have another decision to make. You can still say nothing, but most suggest telling him something like "I will comply with your demand to exit the vehicle but want you to know that I am licensed to carry and that it is holstered on my right hip" is the safest way to proceed without giving up your rights.

This now opens a whole new can of worms and the situation can go in any number of directions, but the bottom line is that in PA no, you do not have to tell him you have a gun.
    Last edited by longcall911; January 23rd, 2012 at 07:24 PM. Reason: sp
    Help us restore election integrity in PA. Join PA Voters United

(Franklin County)

I guess you havent bothered to actually read this thread that you have been commenting in. Its already been covered a few pages ago.
    I'll help you out though, you have no legal obligation to answer that question and you have no legal obligation to tell the truth if you do choose to answer it.

(Montgomery County)

Thanks for confirming it again. I just wanted to make sure as it wasn't actually answered exactly how I had asked the question. Its a pretty big one. All of the feedback was great.

Quote Originally Posted by ray h View Post
    I guess you havent bothered to actually read this thread that you have been commenting in. Its already been covered a few pages ago.
    I'll help you out though, you have no legal obligation to answer that question and you have no legal obligation to tell the truth if you do choose to answer it.

(Montgomery County)

I would guess unless they are complete asses they would not interpret silence for disrespect. And if it works for you with a heavy foot, I may as well give it a try if I get stopped.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHEMI View Post
    I personally don't answer any questions not related to the stop..., and because I can't keep my right foot off the floor, I get stopped frequently.

If I say anything, it is usually in the form of a question in return.

ALWAYS polite. I never get smart or huffy about my rights, but I remain assertive in that I will NOT go on a fishing trip with them.

I have never yet had a cop get "hostile" and start making demands, but if they did, I would "comply under duress." I too, do not want to get shot or go to jail, but I will make damn well sure that they know that they have crossed a line at that point.

Justin

PS I am often let off with warnings, even when "remaining silent." Contrary to what some here think, remaining silent or not answering every question the cop asks is NOT being disrespectful or hassling the cop.

Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920 LastLast