Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Default Kimber .45 ACP ???

OK. I really need some help here. I need someone who owns a Kimber to justify the cost. These pieces really "look" high end but are they really that much better than a Ruger or a Kahr? To be specific, either an Ultra TLE II or an Ultra CDP II, both with laser grips. Any guidance would be appreciated.
    What say you.....

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: Kimber .45 ACP ???

I really dont know as I am buying my first 1911 this weekend. I was looking at the Ruger SR1911's but as others have said are in such demand the supply isnt there. My gunshop has 50 orders for them and cant get them right now. So being impatient as I am, I am probably getting a Kimber or Springfield from them this weekend. So I dont know if the justification is there for the pricetag, I just know the name Kimber is a lightning rod for pro's and con's comments.

(Cumberland County)

And I own a Kahr CM 9....its my concealed carry weapon and I love it.

(Lehigh County)

After trying Para, Springfield, S&W, and Kimber 1911s, I settled on Kimber due to the out-of-the-box trigger, the "feel" in my hand, and the accuracy I experienced. ISTM I got what I paid for--an accurate, utterly reliable (after break-in) 45 Auto. I own 4 Kimbers--5'', 4'' and 3" in 45 Auto and 3" in 9mm. Only the 5" 45 and the 3" 9mm are from the Custom Shop. So. I vote to go the Kimber route! Russ

(Cumberland County)

I think i am going with the 4" but i dont know til i put them in my hand...i wouldnt say no to the full size. I am leaning towards the Pro Carry 2. Did you have any issues with yours during the "break-in" period?

(York County)

First off what do you consider high? I just bought a pro-carry 2 for $749 (no laser grips) and I think that is kind of low for Kimber. Kimber does have a solid reputation which is going to bring in bigger dollars. Example of that would be Wilson, Ed Brown, etc.
    Last edited by Steeltown; January 13th, 2012 at 05:29 PM.
    Rehab is for quitters!!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger9 View Post
    OK. I really need some help here. I need someone who owns a Kimber to justify the cost. These pieces really "look" high end but are they really that much better than a Ruger or a Kahr? To be specific, either an Ultra TLE II or an Ultra CDP II, both with laser grips. Any guidance would be appreciated.
    What say you.....
    I think the most important question is - what's your intended use for it? You can't really compare a Kimber to a Kahr or non-1911 Ruger.

If you would be looking strictly at 1911s, my OPINION is yes, the Kimber is worth the money. I own a Kimber Crimson Carry II (5" barrel) and love it.

I also own 2 Kahrs which are my usual EDC guns... Again, you are comparing apples to oranges but if you are looking for a quality 1911 I think Kimber is worth the price.

(Lehigh County)

The 3" 9mm was more particular with the ammo I fed it. It wasn't as fond of or as accurate with 115gr as it was with 124gr, both JHP and not +P. I had a few stovepipes in the first 100 or so rounds of the 115gr, but zero with the 124gr. I worked up a load for the 124gr, and after several hundred flawless rounds of my loads and factory +P, I deemed it reliable enough to carry. The 5" and 3" 45s fed/ejected everythng I tried, including my handloads and +P. The 4", after a few stovepipes in the first 100 rounds of factory 230gr FMJ, settled down. It now feeds/ejects my handloads and factory ammo equally well, and I've probably put 500 rounds through it without a hitch. So, I declare each Kimber dependable enough to carry! Russ

I've own a Kimber Custom II I've had it for 20+ years it is a reliable and accurate gun. It also has all the features that a shooter would need. This Kimber was there base model and except for the sights not being marked it has everything that I need to be accurate and a fine sollid 1911. I'd rate the Ruger SR1911 a step above it because of marterail (the Ruger is SS and all metal the Kimber is Parkerized and has some polymyer parts) and the Ruger has better sights. The triggers are close around 4lbs the Kimber has more semi custom features that may not be important like front serations and more. In short I like my Kimber it was a bargain at $598.00 back in 1989 or 91. Kimber had a reputation of making good to great 1911s from what I gather there was a lag in QC at one point they are back to making good 1911s now. Mines borders on very good and its a base model.
    Last edited by Neko456; January 13th, 2012 at 05:43 PM.

(Montgomery County)

I have to echo some things already posted. I own an ultra II and love it for everyday carry. Trigger break, accuracy out of th box with a shortened barrel. Have you manhandled one in a show? You said it looks like quality, try to get out shoot one.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast