Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default Scope for Mosin Nagant 91/30

Just bought a Mosin-Nagant 91/30, did not get it to really collect, but to use at the range. I want to mount a scope so I am going to use one of the mounts available online which replaces the rear sight. Looking at the Leapers UTG tri-mount had good reviews. My question is that by using this mount, thus avoiding altering bolt to clear scope, I have to get one with a long eye relief. What I don't know is approximately how long that relief should be. Hard to measure without the scope. Does anyone have any experience with this. Most LER scopes I have seen are about 5". Does this mean that the max distance my eye can be from the scope is 5" for a clear view? Don't have much experience with this. Thanks

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Scope for Mosin Nagant 91/30

Nutnfancy reviewed this scope mount by brassstacker and spoke very highly of it.

Here is the review.

A better mount even yet is Jmecks scope mount, http://www.jmeckscopemounts.com/

Check out some links below.

Kalinka Optics offers receiver mounts:

http://kalinkaoptics.com/mounts/othe...html?limit=all

MilsurpStuff.com has also receiver mounts as well as rear side based mounts:

http://www.milsurpstuff.com/products...t=Mosin+Nagant

More rear sight replacing mounts at GunAccessories:

http://www.gunaccessories.com/Milita...gant/index.asp

My preference would be rear sight replacing mounts.

(Cumberland County)

I actually bought the UTG tri mount, looked at it and didn't really like it so I returned it and just knocked off the entire rear sight and mounted 3/8 rings with a leapers long eye relief scope. Not the best scope and currently looking for another scope with higher power and a little more eye relief.

I measured my Mosin and I'd say the scope needs to have at least 5 inch of eye relief more like 5.5 to 6.5 inch, with the UTG mount you probably would be looking more at 5 inch eye relief.

My leapers long eye relief was described of 5inch of eye relief but didn't really pan out only have about 3/4 field of view, but again it was a very cheap scope and you get what you pay for.

I've been researching more tactical long distance scopes. These scopes have a pretty decent long eye relief on them, some have over 6 inch. A lot of these scopes are in the tactical or AR section on websites. Hope this helped...

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by RoeRepresent View Post
    I actually bought the UTG tri mount, looked at it and didn't really like it so I returned it and just knocked off the entire rear sight and mounted 3/8 rings with a leapers long eye relief scope. Not the best scope and currently looking for another scope with higher power and a little more eye relief.

I measured my Mosin and I'd say the scope needs to have at least 5 inch of eye relief more like 5.5 to 6.5 inch, with the UTG mount you probably would be looking more at 5 inch eye relief.

My leapers long eye relief was described of 5inch of eye relief but didn't really pan out only have about 3/4 field of view, but again it was a very cheap scope and you get what you pay for.

I've been researching more tactical long distance scopes. These scopes have a pretty decent long eye relief on them, some have over 6 inch. A lot of these scopes are in the tactical or AR section on websites. Hope this helped...
    5 inch eye relief? Try one with a 8-10 inch eye relief.
    I put a pistol scope from NCStar on mine..
    2-7x32 magnification, 8.7-10.7 inch eye relief.
    http://www.amazon.com/2-7X32-Pistol-...ref=pd_ys_iyr1