Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Beaver County)

Default 45 cal jhp help!!!

So I bought some notched Winchester 230gr jhp's from a reloadin shop mainly cuz they looked mean I been reloadin for bout 6-7 months or so and loaded bout 3k rounds from 9mm 40s&w 45acp 7mm-08 308 and 30-06 no problems at all o have a Lee reloadin manual and the latest hornady one turns out I dont got data for that specific bullet I'm usin w231 powder and I was gonna load em pretty hot but I'm thinkin bout 5.3 grains and a fairly long oal like 1.240 if anyone has any experience wet that recipe this young gun would appreciate any input or feed back thank you in advance

Default Re: 45 cal jhp help!!!

I have a Winchester reloading booklet that recommends 5.6gr of 231 as the "best load" for a 230 gr "full metal case" bullet. They don't specify C.O.L. My Hornady book doesn't show any loads for 231 powder and a 230gr bullet. I use Unique for my 45 loads.

(Beaver County)

That sounds kinda hot lol but thanks its a ballpark I got a aluminum framed 1911 so maybe 5.3 5.4 might be my best bet

Quote Originally Posted by col.klink View Post
    That sounds kinda hot lol but thanks its a ballpark I got a aluminum framed 1911 so maybe 5.3 5.4 might be my best bet
    Start low and work up, everybodys load and pistols are diffrent OAL, crimp, chamber size . Are you loading these to carry ? I have heard clays is best for 45acp. I use titegroup for 40 and 45. From what i read most people don't like titegroup for 45 they say its to fast burning but I like the fact there is ton of info on titegroup and i can use it in both calibiers.
    Last edited by Pagoda240; January 13th, 2012 at 12:55 AM.
    Tantric Shooting Team

(Westmoreland County)

As said above different steps in the reloading process or different lots of powder, primers, and cases, all increase pressure. Gun to gun may have an increase in pressure. OAL as well as amount of crimp will increase pressure, The deeper you seat the bullet the higher the pressure. If you can not find published data for a specific bullet, powder, primer, and case. Always side with caution. I have played around with powders, and bullets not normally associated with a particular round. But I load a new load in lots of 10, starting near the absolute minimum. Checking each lot for signs of excessive pressure. Just because one guy gets away with a hot load in a specific gun or round doesn’t mean it is safe in all guns. I have found my most accurate loads in rifle and pistol are not max loads. So why waste powder.

(Susquehanna County)

Hey just for grins and giggles go to Hodgdon Powders' website and look up the data using their online loading service! Just in case you didn't know Hodgdon now makes the Winchester powders.

Start here and follow the instructions to get to the data:

http://hodgdon.com/basic-manual-inquiry.html

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".