Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Clarion County)

Default Reloading without space?

I'm a college student and a parent of a 4 year old. I live is a small townhouse like apartment and literally do not have space to put a reloading setup. My daughter having room to be a kid takes priority, because that's what kids need.

I would like to get into 300 BLK, but really need to reload if I want to shoot it at all. Is it possible to reload without taking up space outside of a medium sized tote box? Something I could put in a closet and only take out when it's time to work.

I have seen the Lee loader hand set, but that's only available in limited calibers, no 300 BLK yet.

I'm open to ideas as well as proven setups.

Thanks for any help.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Reloading without space?

Even though I reload in a dedicated area in my basement I use a method of mounting my presses that could be applied to many tables. Take a piece of 1 inch MDF about a foot wide and from one side of the bench (or table) to the other. I take another 1 inch thick piece about a foot long and use it to double the total thickness on the end with the press. Countersink the screws mounting the press and use C clamps to hold it on the table.

I have a Lee hand press and it's not fun to use for case sizing. I only use it to deprime cases prior to polishing.

The End of Josiah's Railroad, Pennsylvania
    (Luzerne County)

I had a Rockchucker Supreme bolted to a 2x8x18 piece of oak. I used two wood clamps to hold it to my table and it worked out decent.

(Delaware County)

I have a shot shell reloader, I'm guessing it would take more space than your 300 BLk. I mounted the reloading unit to a hunk of plywood and then clamped that to a TV dinner table. It doesn't take much room at all, plus it's portable.

(Luzerne County)

Let us hope for the best, but let us also prepare for the worst.

Midway

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/155...eloading-stand

has a reloading stand from Frankford Arsenal. It holds a press and powder measure. I used one in a small apartment. It's quick to take down and set up and gives you a place for a press. I set mine up next to a table so I had space for other things.

Frankford Arsenal Portable Reloading StandProduct #: 155024 Frankford Arsenal #: 155024

(Delaware County)

this is a great idea csmith, any way we can see your set up?

(Jefferson County)

At home I use a small table from an old telephone office. It's heavy and sturdy despite it's small size.

The top only measures 29" wide x 17.5" deep. Plenty of room to work, and it doesn't take up much space. You could build something like this fairly cheap. I'd use the heaviest woods you could find though for the top.

Here is my station. It's not completely set up from the recent move to my new house.

RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Montgomery County)

I might have to steal SB's setup with the tray table.

The biggest disadvantage I have with my setup is I don't secure it as nicely as I should, so the press will bounce around some.. So I get slower reloading speeds.. But I am not complaining too much since i get 200+/hr.

I have the press perm mounted to a small 2x4 piece of scrap wood I had laying around.. I then just clamp that to the table.

My brass, powder, bullets and primers take up more space than the press, tumbler, scale, and calipers needed for pistol reloading.. And the additional stuff for rifle won't take up very much space.

I have a small end table I pulled out of the trash and a mop bucket that I keep my bullet casting stuff on now. furnace on top, middle has molds, wax and ladle/spoon, and closed bottom has gloves, face mask, goggles and other little items I use. I will have more issues with storing the 600 pounds of lead I just purchased, LoL
    The problem with shooting Chinese bullets is 15 minutes later you wanna shoot again.

(Indiana County)

I cleaned out one side of the bedroom closet and did this with scrap lumber I had lying around.
    Work space is about 2X3'. This is about a 1/4 of the size I had before, but it gets the job done and gives me enough space to tinker with pistols. I use the garage for rifle work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast