Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ruger SR1911

(Mercer County)

Default Re: Ruger SR1911

Quote Originally Posted by Nigil75 View Post
    Good for them. I'll take a forged frame over a cast one everyday. I'm sure they are fine pistols but given the choice, I'll spend (have spent) a little more and get a Colt.
    Personally, I won't carry a 1911 below a 2010+ Dan Wesson, quality wise. I am very fortunate and blessed to be able to buy guns of that caliber, but not everyone is. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a good investment casting.

You mentioned Kimber earlier, that they have forged frames. That's all well and good, if you can get past the plastic mainspring housing and MIM small parts, which they are full of. In my opinion, Kimber offers the lowest value to dollar ratio of all production 1911s.

I'm a big Colt fan as far as lower cost production guns go. However, most of their series 80 guns have a nylon msh, along with mag catches/locks, sears and discos made of MIM.

A true, quality 1911 is far more than just the frame.
    Last edited by sprrdhawk44; January 20th, 2012 at 12:01 AM.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by sprrdhawk44 View Post
    Personally, I won't carry a 1911 below a 2010+ Dan Wesson, quality wise. I am very fortunate and blessed to be able to buy guns of that caliber, but not everyone is. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a good investment casting.

You mentioned Kimber earlier, that they have forged frames. That's all well and good, if you can get past the plastic mainspring housing and MIM small parts, which they are full of. In my opinion, Kimber offers the lowest value to dollar ratio of all production 1911s.

I'm a big Colt fan as far as lower cost production guns go. However, most of their series 80 guns have a nylon msh, along with mag catches/locks, sears and discos made of MIM.

I totally agree with EVERYTHING in your post! I have never even shot a DW but I would love to try one. Everything I hear about them is that they are UNDER priced as opposed to their quality.

My EDC gun is my Colt Series 70 and I can't find a thing that isn't top notch on it. It's the only 1911 I own that is 100% bone stock and it shoots just as good or better than my customized ones. (SA milspec and Colt 1991)

The kimber thing is obvious, the only reason that company can offer a production gun with all of those features and keep the price between $1000-$1600 is by using sub par MIM parts. My first 1911 was a pro carry II jam-o-matic that I sold to my stepfather to use the money on my SA milspec project gun. I'm also not a fan of aluminum alloy framed 1911s.

Like I said in my original post, I'm sure the SR1911 is quite a good shooter. Everything I hear about them (except for one) has been great. And I know from expierience that ruger's revolvers are top notch and investment cast. I just never heard of a 1911 frame being cast till I read up on the SR1911 from Handguns and American Rifleman.
    Last edited by Nigil75; January 20th, 2012 at 12:23 AM.

Granted the SR1911 for $525-$600 will not compare with a $1400-$2000 Ed Brown, Wilson or even $1400 Dan Wesson 2010+ but what $600 gun could.

For the money the Ruger SR1911 is a fine 1911, I own a Kimber and Colt 70 series and S&W E series of these Gun the Ruger IMO is 3rd Behind the Series E and the Colt of the 5 1911s I have it slightly above my custom classic Kimber and a Customized Sam, both fine pistols.

For the money its probably the best bargain available in the US made with all steel 1911s. And if you are lucky enough to get it for $500 something. I wasn't mines cost $625 and I'm still happy with it.
    Last edited by Neko456; January 25th, 2012 at 09:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Neko456 View Post
    Granted the SR1911 for $525-$600 will not compare with a $1400-$2000 Ed Brown, Wilson or even $1400 Dan Wesson 2010+ but what $600 gun could.
    Unless you need that last inch of accuracy, they all compare. They feel the same, some models look the same as far as quality, and fit and finish is very comparable. Not many mans. build a crappy 1911, nowadays, and there are quite a few under $1000 that are very comparable to a custom shop 1911. I wouldn't stay hung up on Wilson, Ed Brown, or DW. 1 in 10,000 people who shoot can only hope to approach what these custom shop guns will do, anyway. JMHO.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

300WiM wrote - They feel the same, some models look the same as far as quality, and fit and finish is very comparable. Not many mans. build a crappy 1911, nowadays, and there are quite a few under $1000 that are very comparable to a custom shop 1911. I wouldn't stay hung up on Wilson, Ed Brown, or DW. 1 in 10,000 people who shoot can only hope to approach what these custom shop guns will do, anyway. JMHO.

456 - I agree that not many shooters can wring that type accurcay out of the Custom pistols but if you know what you are looking for you can see the look an feel difference in a better made gun and a normal gun. Of my five 1911s there very little difference in them me shooting them and the target. But I can look at each and rate them by quailty of workmanship, smoothness, parts, material and easy to shoot.

The Ruger is No. 3 behind the E series smith and built Colt commander. That's a compliment for a Factory 1911.
    Last edited by Neko456; January 24th, 2012 at 12:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sprrdhawk44 View Post
    Personally, I won't carry a 1911 below a 2010+ Dan Wesson, quality wise.
    I used to have this mindset until I really started to learn about this gun instead of just seeing how many X's I can bust out of a target with one.

I do not think that MIM parts makes a 1911 a quality that is not worthy of carry. It is merely another way of making parts that is less expensive and time consuming. None of the MIM parts have ever failed on any of my 1911's. Knowing what I know now, there is no way I'd ever pay $800, or more, for a 1911 when I can get a Taurus PT 1911 AL with all the cool stuff done to it right at the factory for around $600. To say this pistol or others like it that are in that price range is not a true quality pistol is a bit narrow minded (this is more of a general statement). As I have just completed my eighth trigger job and third hand ground mag well, I say this with confidence. My analogy is this: cars are built, today, using the same methods as some of these guns. These cars are every bit as good, if not better, than the '57 Chevys built back in the day. I am from "back in the day" but I also have an open mind that is willing to learn and change. I am fortunate enough to purchase the $$$ guns, but I don't see the point. They do not give enough extra to merit the extra $$$. JMHO
    Last edited by harold63; January 24th, 2012 at 10:57 PM. Reason: spelling error, added ( )
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Carbon County)

for 99% of the general public, you dont need a 2000.00 dan wesson. hell i be the 1st to admit i cant shoot well enough to even deserve to spend 2000 on a gun. if i was a millionare i wouldnt buy one. i wouldnt mind a ruger just to go to the range and shoot a few hundred rounds a day. why else are you buying it? im not going to sit home with a 2000.00 gun and stroke it, and kiss it and shine it all day...i want to shoot the shit out of it. so go bu the ruger, put 20,000 rounds through it and save the 1400 and buy your 16 yo her 1st car.

The reason the average joe buys the $1400 -$3200 dollar gun is because its pretty and not many can or will do it, the same reason people buy Austin Martins sure there are cars just as fast or faster but they ain't AMs or Ed Browns if you see what I mean.

Now there are some Pro shooters, aspiring Semi Pros, average joes that can really shoot and collectors that can really find a purpose in these Elite pistols and put them to work wring out all the accuracy they can product. But for the average shooter/joe like myself I decided on the the $800+ E series after buying a SR1911 because it was PRETTY and loaded. And I wanted something that was a noticeable step above the pistols that I owned the Ruger fits in but its not The step above the Built 20+ year old Colt, but its just as good almost. I mean the Colt and I have been through so much. Ruger made a very good 1911 my Colt got a lot of work done to it. To get it to load almost anything and spit it out accurately.

My ex mother in law use to say "It takes a poor Duck not to priase his own pond/Colt".
    Last edited by Neko456; January 25th, 2012 at 10:09 AM.

There's a picture here with Ruger wearing alloyed laser sight grips! Man thats a sharp looking gun. I was thinking about leaving the Ruger as is until I saw those grips and how that simple change gave that gun a different look.

Man I like this pistol.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Neko456 View Post
    There's a picture here with Ruger wearing alloyed laser sight grips! Man thats a sharp looking gun. I was thinking about leaving the Ruger as is until I saw those grips and how that simple change gave that gun a different look.

Man I like this pistol.
    Is this the one you are referring to?

If so they are Crimson Trace Chainmail Grips. I love the setup. This is my everyday carry gun along with the LCP.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast