Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Question: Is a workmate (125 or 425) strong enough to clamp an ar15 vise block?

Hello,

Is the workmate's clamping mechanism strong enough to hold an ar-15 vise block without the need for a vise? I would like to use a workmate and clamp down an ar-15 block for two purposes only:

rifle cleaning

holding a stripped lower for building

I understand I cannot build uppers and torque barrels with this limited setup. I know what i would like in an ideal situation but I only have these two needs right now. I also realize I could bolt down a small vise to have a sturdier set up. Whenever I read about this online people start arguing about building uppers and heavy duty tasks. I just want that "third pair of hands" type situation.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Question: Is a workmate (125 or 425) strong enough to clamp an ar15 vise block?

You can assemble an AR stripped lower on your kitchen table without any clamps at all. So to answer your question - yes I think you can do what you're asking.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Question: Is a workmate (125 or 425) strong enough to clamp an ar15 vise block?

True, I have used the kitchen table before. Worked out just fine but i really like the block for holding the structure upright.

To clarify I a not talking about using clamps or what not.I am specifically referring to the clamping mechanism of the workmate table. Is that strong enough to clamp the block hard enough to be a sturdy base for lower building and cleaning.

(Lancaster County)

I sawed brick with a diamond blade in a workmate for 20 years. Had several hundred kickbacks over that time and only a few ever got ripped out of the table.

I think you'll be fine...........