Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Best Sportmen/Gun Range for Guest Policy

I am looking for a range with the best guest policy. I dont have many friends who are into shooting or own guns, so one of my favorite parts of the shooting sport is introducing new people because they always enjoy it. Unfortunately I am having trouble finding a decent range that has a good guest policy.

I just moved back her from Butler Pa where my range pretty much let you bring anyone with you as long as the member was present. The ranges I have seen either say no guests, or one guest one time only, or $5 dollar guest passes.

So anyone know of any ranges with a more relaxed set or guest rules/rules in general I am kind of sick of the gun range rule nazis. I would like to have fun rather than worry about a list of 150 rules and regs, we have enough of that with our oversized federal and state gov't.

**disclaimer: I am in no way shape or form saying that rules are a bad thing. I fully back the enforcement of safety on a gun range and handling guns in general.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Best Sportmen/Gun Range for Guest Policy

I forgot to specify, but seeing as it is in the lancaster county thread, I am looking for the range to be in Lancaster.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

What club was that in Butler? That sounds like a nice policy.

(Chester County)

Regards Robert
    Smile... it increases your face value!
    Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not. ~Thomas Jefferson

(Beaver County)

I know you want to take your buddies shooting, just like we all do. But why should a club let one person pay and then let them jam up the ranges with their non-paying friends? That $5 covers wear and tear on the range, both backstops and benches. It covers someone to clean up after more non-member dbags that leave their targets, brass, trash, etc on the range. It also discourages you from showing up with a truck full of non-members and shooting in front of the paying members that might want to shoot.

I thought the fees and rules were shitty until I spent some time thinking about why they are there. And for the record, I'm not saying that only non-members are trash leaving dbags. Sadly that just isn't true.

For the remarkably low membership fees at my club ($50 a year) you really have no reason not to join. Which is what I tell my buddies who like to shoot.

Good luck finding a nice club out there in Lancaster.
    It has to start someplace... It has to start sometime...
    What better place than here? What better time than now! - RAtM

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Python73 View Post
    I know you want to take your buddies shooting, just like we all do. But why should a club let one person pay and then let them jam up the ranges with their non-paying friends? That $5 covers wear and tear on the range, both backstops and benches. It covers someone to clean up after more non-member dbags that leave their targets, brass, trash, etc on the range. It also discourages you from showing up with a truck full of non-members and shooting in front of the paying members that might want to shoot.

I thought the fees and rules were shitty until I spent some time thinking about why they are there. And for the record, I'm not saying that only non-members are trash leaving dbags. Sadly that just isn't true.

For the remarkably low membership fees at my club ($50 a year) you really have no reason not to join. Which is what I tell my buddies who like to shoot.

Good luck finding a nice club out there in Lancaster.
    Like I said I dont have many friends who own guns or have ever been shooting. I enjoy introducing people to the sport. When ranges have overly strict rules regarding guests it makes it impossible for me to introduce to people who would most likely find the sport enjoyable.

(Berks County)

My range doesn't have overly strict rules, but they do charge $5 per guest. And to me that is a deal.

(Allegheny County)

mine charges $7 per guest, they are allowed to visit 3 times, then they should join. the annual dues for our club after the first year are $60. which isnt a bad deal at all.
    I dislike the diamond commercials, give me something useful like guns, ammo or cookware.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lazydog View Post
    I've shot at this club as a guest last year, it's a nice range. I don't know what their actual rules are as I was invited by a member there, but that member said it was ok for me to shoot.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Bucks County)

I belong to a range that charges $5, and two ranges that charge $10 for each guest per visit. I feel as though that is fair, for reasons stated above (range wear and tear, club members waiting for lanes to open etc...)

I also enjoy bringing friends, family and as many new comers to the shooting sports as i can get my hands on. For years I was paying the guest fees because the club would just add it to your yearly renewal. You can imagine how fast that adds up, and the sticker shock when you get your renewal. What i do now is let all my guests know up front what it will cost, and that they will be paying that fee at the club up front. I think its more than fair.

Keep bringing friends and family to the range our numbers are growing by leaps and bounds.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast