Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Blair County)

Default so when it comes to plastic pistols...

Do you get what you pay for? Not talking the difference between a Hi-Point and an FN Five seveN here, though.

Brand new XD9 can be had for $400 in the essentials package. A gen3 Glock will run a little more. An XDm will run you ~$550. An M&P9 will be around the same as the Glock. Then thr HK USP9 will set you back $750-800. Is it really all worth the price difference? Hell, is the XDm even worth the extra over an XD?

Having never handled an HK, I can't be certain. But I've owned a gen3 G17 and a 3.8 XDm9 and an M&P9, and the Springfield felt the nicest of the bunch, and was worth the extra over the Glock and Smith.

Default Re: so when it comes to plastic pistols...

So you answered your own question..."Having never handled an HK, I can't be certain. But I've owned a gen3 G17 and a 3.8 XDm9 and an M&P9, and the Springfield felt the nicest of the bunch, and was worth the extra over the Glock and Smith".

It's all about opinion and choices the H&K and Sig people feel the same. I like M&P and XDm but I buy Glock all my holsters, mags and gear are geared to that brand and the Berettas and 1911s. I do like the XDm and M&P. I don't hate on many guns I don't like Hi point, I'd have to be in bad shape to buy one of thoughs thats just me.

the glocks, XDs, HKs, etc are all service pistols so they should all give you exactly what you need and be able to take anything thrown at them reliably...imo, it all boils down to preference and which ergos you like the best of you are selecting from those brands.
    yeah, i am not from PA nor have i ever been to PA....still love reading this forum.

(Berks County)

Wink Re: so when it comes to plastic pistols...

Own all three of the guns you mentioned, Glock, SA and HK and they're all reliable. I carry my G27 becuase it fits my body the best.

Yes, I spent a small fortune for an HK and yes it is a great gun but I don't know if it is really that much better? I do know this about it the HK USPT it's one hell of an accurate gun! But then again so is my CZ 75...My point is I buy guns I like and they all have differences to some degree but I would trust them all to protect me and my family.

I think the only plastic gun I wouldn't buy would be a Highpoint, partly becuase they are so ugly and partly becuase my self esteem isn't high enough to been seen carrying one.

(Blair County)

I wasn't really looking for a direct answer, more just to get opinions and start a discussion.

I wasn't aware Springfield was selling an essentials package for the XD, and the price really got me thinking about how much better one polymer pistol is over another. I mean, $400 for a well-known reliable handgun like the XD seems pretty good to me, especially considering I wouldn't mind running it like hell because I know it could take it.

I'll probably pick one up soon, along with a bunch of ammo and make a day of it. I'm assuming the ergos are similar to the XDm, which works for me (unlike the Glock). Probably make it a carry piece for when I'm running or doing work outside or whenever I might bang it around a little. I wouldn't treat an HK like that, though I'd love to get a USP45 someday.

(Bedford County)

InB4ValoriousStartsTrashingGlock

AmIDoingItRight?

The best bet out of all listed above are the Glock and M&P variants. I have two USPs; a Tactical in 40 S&W and Compact in 40 S&W. The tactical keeps the safe company. I sometimes carry the Compact. I can shoot it well, but it's not as comfortable to me as my M&P or a Glock. The Compact is no where near as accurate as my girlfriends M&P 9 Compact. That's not to say that I can't hit anything with it, but it's just not as accurate. I was a die hard H&K guy until I really learned how to shoot, then Glock won me over and I never looked back. I have considered trading it in for another Glock...or two.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

Plastic pistols, for the most part, have a proven track record of reliability and durability. I love my SA XDm and I'm sure I am going to love my Walther PPQ when it gets here next week. I also had a couple of SA XDs along the way and all of them were perfectly reliable.
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

I think all the ones you mentioned are pretty much the same. I had an HK USP compact and it was an awesome gun. I also have a G17 which is also an awesome gun. The USP is not that expensive compared to the newer HK's so the price difference was only about $150 and it had night sights. Was it worth the extra $150 compared to the Glock? It was a little more accurate but that's about it. Was the HK better? Not in my eyes. It was super reliable and accurate, great gun but I wound up selling it and keeping the Glock. Not because the Glock was better, I just liked it more. Now if I was going to rate the guns you listed I would put Glock and HK at the top of the list. M&P would be second and the XD would be last. This is purely based on my experience and also seeing failures at IDPA pistol shoots. I still think any of them would be a good purchase.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by medsteele View Post
    I wasn't really looking for a direct answer, more just to get opinions and start a discussion.

I wasn't aware Springfield was selling an essentials package for the XD, and the price really got me thinking about how much better one polymer pistol is over another. I mean, $400 for a well-known reliable handgun like the XD seems pretty good to me, especially considering I wouldn't mind running it like hell because I know it could take it.

I'll probably pick one up soon, along with a bunch of ammo and make a day of it. I'm assuming the ergos are similar to the XDm, which works for me (unlike the Glock). Probably make it a carry piece for when I'm running or doing work outside or whenever I might bang it around a little. I wouldn't treat an HK like that, though I'd love to get a USP45 someday.
    Please don't let that crappy holster be a decision factor for you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast