Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: PA resident buying ammo in NJ

I sure did. I purchase buckshot without an issue.

What kid of ammo are you talking about?

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Boots_DE View Post
    As a non-resident?

I had a NJ ID when I lived there, but I don't think it's valid now.

Yes. A Non-NJ resident would apply to a State Police Barracks that is not located on a toll road. The ID is only $5 + fingerprint fee, it's good until it's revoked or you change address. When you change addresses you have to reapply.
    Last edited by mrjam2jab; January 11th, 2012 at 11:28 AM.

Interesting thread. Here's a question: As far as I know, as a PA resident, I could move to New Jersey with my .380 pistol (as long as it is not illegal in NJ), and not be required to get any firearms ID card or permit to purchase, or whatever else is needed to get a handgun while a resident of NJ. If this is correct, then how could I legally purchase 380 ammo if I moved from PA to NJ, and never needed a 'license' to purchase?

Just wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by PPS 40 View Post
    can a NJ cc permit holder in NJ even carry hollow points in his gun ??
    I think only on-duty law enforcement can carry hollow points.

Quote Originally Posted by American1776 View Post
    Interesting thread. Here's a question: As far as I know, as a PA resident, I could move to New Jersey with my .380 pistol (as long as it is not illegal in NJ), and not be required to get any firearms ID card or permit to purchase, or whatever else is needed to get a handgun while a resident of NJ. If this is correct, then how could I legally purchase 380 ammo if I moved from PA to NJ, and never needed a 'license' to purchase?

Just wondering.
    You couldn't. The FPID has nothing to do with possession - actually has nothing to do with purchasing a handgun. The FPID is for purchase of longarms, purchase of handgun ammunition and allows you to transport longarms outside the enumerated execptions (to & from a range, etc).

If you move here with NJ legal firearms (handguns or longarms) you need do nothing more. But, if you want to purchase handgun ammo in NJ, you need a FPID.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

(Philadelphia County)

I was going to pick up a case of 7.62x39.

From what you guys are saying this permit really only applies to pistol ammo. So, I guess I'm alright.

I wanted to get some more info before calling. I figured hes had to explain NJ's silly laws 1000 times and wanted to save them the trouble. Thanks.

(Philadelphia County)

Just called to confirm and they said you only need the permit for pistol ammo. Rifle ammo only requires a drivers license.

Quote Originally Posted by LostinGermany View Post
    Just called to confirm and they said you only need the permit for pistol ammo. Rifle ammo only requires a drivers license.
    Thanks! Sometimes it's hard for me to remember all the little details.

Quote Originally Posted by Maryland_Shooter View Post
    I simply refuse to buy from, travel through or do any business with NJ and other states like them. Sad to say I am currently stuck in MD which isn't a lot better, but not as bad as NJ, NY, Il, CA, MA

I refused to take my family to the NJ shore. They are not getting a dime from me.
    I hear ya! ... and, basically I agree. But, it was hard to pass up a real good ammo deal in NJ a few years ago when most shelves were empty around here.

(Chester County)

Statutorily only "handgun ammo" requires one of three licenses to purchase in NJ. This would exclude rifle, shotgun and common dual use ammo (like 22LR):

NJS 2C:58-3.3 "Handgun ammunition" defined; sale, purchase, etc., regulated; violation, fourth degree crime.

1. a. As used in this act, "handgun ammunition" means ammunition specifically designed to be used only in a handgun. "Handgun ammunition" shall not include blank ammunition, air gun pellets, flare gun ammunition, nail gun ammunition, paint ball ammunition, or any non-fixed ammunition.

b.No person shall sell, give, transfer, assign or otherwise dispose of, or receive, purchase, or otherwise acquire handgun ammunition unless the purchaser, assignee, donee, receiver or holder is licensed as a manufacturer, wholesaler, or dealer under this chapter or is the holder of and possesses a valid firearms purchaser identification card, a valid copy of a permit to purchase a handgun, or a valid permit to carry a handgun and first exhibits such card or permit to the seller, donor, transferor or assignor.
    Only NJ LEOs can carry HP (on and off duty); not NJCCWers. Note: this proscription is preempted by Federal LEOSA (18 USC 926B & C)

NJS 2C:39-3. Prohibited weapons and devices
    f. Dum-dum or body armor penetrating bullets. (1) Any person, other than a law enforcement officer or persons engaged in activities pursuant to subsection f. of N.J.S.2C:39-6, who knowingly has in his possession any hollow nose or dum-dum bullet ... is guilty of a crime of the fourth degree.
    Last edited by tl_3237; January 11th, 2012 at 06:52 PM.
    IANAL

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast