Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Opinions on Home Defense Rounds

So I recently acquired a Mossberg 500 tactical for home defense and im currently using some Olin Mil Grade 00 buckshot. My problem lies that I live in an condo. I was wondering if anyone had a suggestions to good condo defense rounds.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Opinions on Home Defense Rounds

Anything you use that meets the minimum for penetration in people will pass through home walls like they weren't even there.

So you can use smaller lighter pellets that may cause less harm to people passing through a wall, but also increase the amount of said pellets and increase the chances of projectiles that are possible not going to hit the target.

Or you can use heavier larger pellets / or even slugs that will certainly still cause a more significant amount of harm after passing through an obstruction, be more effective on the target, but be less likely to have a portion of stray ought not impacting the target.

Either way, you need to be VERY aware of which direction you are shooting no matter what you use, as even bird shot, which will be very ineffective at stopping an intruder - WILL still penetrate the walls of a home!

I do not have your considerations to make as I live in a home with partial brick exterior and neighbors only off to one side. And a sturdy fence between me and them. It's possible to send a round through to them. But no where near like living in a condo.

So I use Centurion Multi-defense buckshot. It is a .65 caliber ball, followed by 6 #1 buck.

It patterns like a slug with a ring around it at any conceivable HD distance and hits like a ten ton fucking hammer. I own more than a couple toys and given the choice - I'd pick getting shot with that - last. It does an almost surreal amount of damage to whatever it hits.

For you, you are going to NEED to hit your target. The added resistance of the person you are firing at is almost going to be a necessity in your living situation. I would make SURE that shotgun has a light. And that whatever you choose, you pattern it at given ranges so you KNOW where your shots are going to land.

And don't miss.

(Chester County)

If you ask 10 people you will get 11 different opinions. I have mine loaded with #4 buckshot.

00 buck.

This is my brother taking out 5 targets with 10 shots in 5 seconds, on the move, with my Benelli M1.

Take note of the total ownage of the mannequin target. Yes...00 buck for me please.

PS: This video is a strong argument for the rapid fire capability of a semi auto too.
    Last edited by Valorius; January 12th, 2012 at 01:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Valorius View Post
    00 buck.

This is my brother taking out 5 targets with 10 shots in 5 seconds, on the move, with my Benelli M1.

Take note of the total ownage of the mannequin target. Yes...00 buck for me please.

PS: This video is a strong argument for the rapid fire capability of a semi auto too.
    Nice video!

However I would say for the most part a semi auto in a lot of peoples hands is just as bad as a full auto in their hands. They will rip through that ammo like it is their business and the high probability of over spray and or not even touching your intended target is huge. In the right minded right handed person it can be effective as your video suggests, but for the majority of people a pump is a better option IMO.
    Last edited by PA1936MN; January 12th, 2012 at 09:37 AM.

(Bedford County)

Quote Originally Posted by PA1936MN View Post
    Nice video!

However I would say for the most part a semi auto is a lot of peoples hands is just as bad as a full auto in their hands. They will rip through that ammo like it is their business and the high probability of over spray and or not even touching your intended target is huge. In the right minded right hand person it can be effective as your video suggests, but for the majority of people a pump is a better option IMO.
    With a shotgun?

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by jshwak View Post
    With a shotgun?
    Most folks don't realize that at the classic 3 - 7 yard 'encounter' distance you might as well be shooting slugs - there really is not much spread at all.

Take a look at that YouTube video one more time. You will see nice big 1" holes but it is just one hole per shot. A center mass hit will be deadly, but a miss will be, well, just a miss.

The secret to any defensive weapon or ammo is simply being able to hit your target.

Spray and pray is not really a very good strategy.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus6 View Post
    Anything So I use Centurion Multi-defense buckshot. It is a .65 caliber ball, followed by 6 #1 buck.

It patterns like a slug with a ring around it at any conceivable HD distance and hits like a ten ton fucking hammer. I own more than a couple toys and given the choice - I'd pick getting shot with that - last. It does an almost surreal amount of damage to whatever it hits.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This

I have the same ammo and the same philosphy and very similar home circumstances ... for outright stopping power and damage this stuff is wicked...My weapon of choice ...my good old 870 Express w/some HD tweaks ( I retired it from birdhunting when I got my Benelli's)

I will still have a pistol on my hip but my go to gun fro HD is my 12ga.
    Last edited by Zeke2A; January 12th, 2012 at 11:05 AM.
    Fortuna audaces iuvat
    "Who is John Galt?"
    Deus Vult

(Allegheny County)

I also use #4 shot.
    Stay frosty....

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus6 View Post
    Anything you use that meets the minimum for penetration in people will pass through home walls like they weren't even there.

So you can use smaller lighter pellets that may cause less harm to people passing through a wall, but also increase the amount of said pellets and increase the chances of projectiles that are possible not going to hit the target.

Or you can use heavier larger pellets / or even slugs that will certainly still cause a more significant amount of harm after passing through an obstruction, be more effective on the target, but be less likely to have a portion of stray ought not impacting the target.

Either way, you need to be VERY aware of which direction you are shooting no matter what you use, as even bird shot, which will be very ineffective at stopping an intruder - WILL still penetrate the walls of a home!

I do not have your considerations to make as I live in a home with partial brick exterior and neighbors only off to one side. And a sturdy fence between me and them. It's possible to send a round through to them. But no where near like living in a condo.

So I use Centurion Multi-defense buckshot. It is a .65 caliber ball, followed by 6 #1 buck.

For you, you are going to NEED to hit your target. The added resistance of the person you are firing at is almost going to be a necessity in your living situation. I would make SURE that shotgun has a light. And that whatever you choose, you pattern it at given ranges so you KNOW where your shots are going to land.

And don't miss.
    Couldn't have said it better. I run a similar HD load- Winchester PDX1 Defender. 1oz slug precluded by 3 plated 00 Buck shot pellets. Patterns great, at 8 yards you have a perfectly on-target slug with 3 little holes spaced equidistantly around it on a 5" circle.

I live in a apartment with plaster walls and glass windows that would easily be penetrated by this load. That being said, I don't plan on missing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast