Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: January Practical Rilfe Match.... Our AK Match!

or you could always ask your target to advance or retreat to your pre-zeroed range...

(Philadelphia County)

Boomer10 - I did a 21/200 yard zero on my AK. After looking around that made the most sense, plus I found some Arsenal sight in targets that also recommended it. Puts me about 1.5 inches high at 100 and 4 inches low at 200. If there is a better zero for 7.62x39 let me know. Thanks.

Thanks for the vote of confidence there Alex about all my misses. I've always wanted to shoot out past 100 but most clubs dont have that kind of real estate. At least not close to me. Ontelaunee isnt too far from me and they have a 1,2, and300yd rifle ranges. Plus they hold IDPA matches once or twice a month which is a plus.

Heres a couple pretty good threads about zeroing AK Rifles
    http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...-The-AK-Rifles

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...System-Zeroing
    For 5.45x39, a near zero of 50 yards, SHOULD bring the bullet back into zero at 200 yards and drop about 9" at 300 yards.

50yds: Zero
    100yds: +1.5"
    200 yds: zero
    250yds: -3.5"
    300yds: -9.0"

For 7.62x39, a near zero of 25 yards, SHOULD bring the bullet back into zero at 200 yards and drop about 14" at 300 yards.

25 yds Zero
    50 yds +1.5
    100 yds +3.00
    150 yds +2.5
    200 yds Zero
    250 yds -6.0
    300 yds -14.0

If you are running a red dot, I suggest these zeroes. If you are running a scope with a BDC, research the best use of your BDC....for example, my ACOG, gives me good BDC with the #4 being correct for 300 yards.
    If you are running irons, you should get the near zeroes (WITH THE REAR SET AT THE #1), then set it at the BATTLE SIGHT ZERO (the notch with the letter), and then verify at the distances in question if possible using both the Battle Sight Zero (letter) as well as the corresponding number on the ladder.
    and to the dust you shall return

(Philadelphia County)

does the Ontelaunee club hold any rifle events or anything open to non members? it's a pretty big hike but if they have any fun events i'd be interested in checking it out. especially if they let us shoot at their 300 yard range afterwards

Quote Originally Posted by shrewd View Post
    does the Ontelaunee club hold any rifle events or anything open to non members? it's a pretty big hike but if they have any fun events i'd be interested in checking it out. especially if they let us shoot at their 300 yard range afterwards
    I'm not really sure about rifle events there (I'm not a member but really need to join) but, I wouldnt be surprised. Like I said, they have IDPA. They also have Ruger Rimfire matches. They are *on the list* for CMP. Its seems like they are pretty gung ho.

More so than some other clubs where they just have a range and a bar. They seem to hold a lot of events and do what they can to promote the shooting sports and the 2A

Heres theyre site, they seem to keep it pretty well maintained and up to date
    http://www.ontelaunee.org/

(Philadelphia County)

Thanks for the info Ben. Hahah I meant no harm about the misses. I only hit about 25 or so out of 100 the last shoot so lots of practice has done me well. I forgot that the zero I have is in meters and yards but I'll play around a bit with it. I'll also check out Ontelaunee.

Cheers

i had a real good time at the shoot sat.

some observations of my experience

1- i got some exp using a back up rig.

2- i got some practice clearing my chamber after FTF, IE: mag dump,clear,re-insert mag, rack bolt home.

3- shake and repeat #2 x3 ( problematic 20rd P mag)

4- got some quality time using stripper clips, loading the one mag i had with me, while maintaining the course of fire ( thanks shooter #6 for lending me a mag!)

5- went through a learning curve about dealing with mild levels of stress while breaking gun open , removing bolt carrier and removing mud from my muzzle and re installing bolt carrier group while under the proverbial gun on the firing line ( although it was no real pressure, no one wants to be the guy holding up the show)

6-it would go to figure that i was out of service for just about the entire first four sets of progressions and miss out on the easier scoring opportunities!

7- i again realized a bumpy day at the range beats many a good days spent elsewhere.

sorry ill miss the WWll shoot, or at least shooting in it.

thanks, Lastdefender and LRGC and all who were involved and participated for another great time!
    To err is human, to be prepared divine

Whata they say?

A shitty day at the range is better than any good day at work.

Congrats Alex on your high score, I sincerely apologize for not being able to be there to deprive you of it.

But seriously if you are not able to spend a lot of time confirming your zeros at the longer yardage, consider zeroing with the tried and true 100 METER zero (with your sight ladder at 1 ) – this will keep you much closer to well establish trajectory information and keep the other settings of your sight ladder “correct” and usuable…as it was designed to do.

Then learn your hold over/unders for the various settings. For a 0-300 yard match I personally prefer to shoot an ak with the sight on 2 or 3 because holding under is much easier than holding over with open (and aperture) iron sights. – keep in mind in a match you can’t always adjust sights between targets.

My notes won’t help you with 7.62, but for a 5.45 I spent some time with, I noted the following:
    (plus also keep in mind these are actual averages for limited groups out of one rifle on a single day with mid-eighties Russian surplus ammo) If you are at a range measured in yards, be sure to adjust accordingly.

(sight set at 2)
    50m = 1.25 (inches)
    100m = + 2
    200m = 0
    300m = -10

(sight set at 3)
    50m = 2.5 Inches
    100m = +5
    200m = + 6
    300m = +1

Notice how close they are to the original owner's manual (all metric). They come in handy sometimes.

(Philadelphia County)

hahahahaha

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast