Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Mercer County)

Default UPS *policy* and shipment of bequest firearms?

I am to receive some firearms from out of state where I was named in a will of a deceased relative, and because of extreme distance and time constraints, need them shipped to me to complete the process. I know legally everything is fine concerning fed and both states law for me to receive them, but my question is can UPS do the shipping, having the executor be the person shipping them to me via UPS?... Usually with UPS, the counter person says (their policy not law) it's OK to ship to an FFL, or manufacturer/gunsmith ONLY (Yet I have read of folks sending a gun to themselves in care of another if not opened by them (Federally legal) via UPS... That would seem to violate their policy, but as it is with may situations, dependent on the person you deal with at that time). I know for certain their policy continues to be handguns regardless of classification must go next day air, again not law, but UPS policy.

I ask because it would seem only UPS policy would not be met in this exact instance, but perhaps I am not interpreting UPS policy correctly from those who may understand it better, and how it applies to an executor fulfilling his legal duties. I have an 03 FFL which makes it great concerning the firearms which are qualified as such; only that the few "modern" ones bequeathed to me pose a UPS policy concern, even though they are my guns going by the letter of the law. Here is the UPS page concerning firearms:

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/res.../firearms.html

Thanks.

Default Re: UPS *policy* and shipment of bequest firearms?

Unfortunately, UPS isn't very good at keeping its web site up to date. Their latest regulations (as of 1/2/2012 -- I think this particular rule actually changed last summer) are at:
    http://www.ups.com/media/en/terms_service_us.pdf. They're pretty much identical to FedEx now.

Page 5:
    3.6 Firearms and Ammunition

UPS accepts packages containing firearms (as defined by Title 18, Chapter 44, and Title 26, Chapter 53 of the United States Code) only (a) between licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, and licensed collectors (as defined in Title 18, Chapter 44 of the United States Code), and government agencies; and (b) where not otherwise prohibited by federal, state, or local law from (i) an individual to a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer or licensed collector; and (ii) from a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to an individual. The shipper shall comply with and shall ensure that each shipment containing firearms complies with all federal, state, and local laws applicable to the shipper, recipient, and package.
    I may be wrong, but I doubt that an FFL at their end will (or can??) ship a handgun to an individual in another state even with paperwork from the executor, so you'll probably have to transfer them through an FFL here. In that case, they may as well have an FFL there ship them -- they can do it way cheaper than next day air.
    Last edited by donm; January 9th, 2012 at 11:08 PM.

(Cumberland County)

you can use the post office.....

(Lehigh County)

USPS

Not sure about Handgun rules but you can find that info on their site. Shipped a rifle from myself to myself for a hunting trip. UPS was useless USPS did the job no problem.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Stampeed Valkyrie View Post
    Not sure about Handgun rules but you can find that info on their site.
    With few exceptions, only FFLs can mail handguns and that is only to other FFLs.

(Mercer County)

Thanks everyone. USPS had been a consideration with me concerning the long arms, because it seems they are more law driven rather than policy as it is with UPS, but the executor for whatever reason had only wanted to use UPS?... Looks like I will try to have this situation changed as needed. USPS is as I have always understood it with regard to handguns FFL dealer-to-FFL dealer, so even my 03 FFL as it concerns 03 FFL qualified handguns, can still not be shipped, or received by me using the USPS because my FFL is explicitly not classified as a "dealer"... So it's UPS or FedEx gouging for me if I want C&R handguns shipped to my door... SUCKS!

I am curious for you folks who have used USPS for long arm shipping, God forbid a weapon comes up missing or damaged, what in your experience can I expect to get things made right and settled? I fully intend to have each long arm fully insured for replacement cost (way more expensive with USPS than UPS), and whatever other services that give me the greatest chance of the guns getting to me, and in the same condition as shipped.

Thanks.

(Allegheny County)

Registered mail works wonders. It gets signed for all along the route and is held in a somewhat secure storage.