Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Pa handgun being sold to md resident

Quote Originally Posted by bolski View Post
    I plan on selling a handgun to md resident. Do I need to go to a ffl and if so which state should it be done in?

The buyer needs to take possession at a MD FFL, you could either drive it or mail it to the MD FFL.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."- The Papers of Ben Franklin

(York County)

Default Pa handgun being sold to md resident

I plan on selling a handgun to md resident. Do I need to go to a ffl and if so which state should it be done in?

(Bucks County)

Is it me or did my reply wind up on TOP of the original post???

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."- The Papers of Ben Franklin

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by crffl View Post

Is it me or did my reply wind up on TOP of the original post???

Yes, and others have reported issues with time and post reordering as well; I've informed Dan (the site owner) so he can hopefully take a look at it.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(York County)

I'm not sure but I thought that it would have to be shipped to the ffl as driving it there would violate gun transportation laws.

Sid

ETA
    Maryland also has a waiting period so the gun would have to stay with the ffl until the waiting period was over.

You can ship or travel to the FFL. It can also be done at a MD State Police Barrack. There is a waiting period. So if you were to Ship to a FFL, the FFL would have possesion of the firearm until the buyer was cleared by MD. If you take it to the FFL or the MDSP they will normally advise you to keep possesion of the firearm until it has clear and the buyer has waited the 7 day wait. I had to do this when I sold my AR to another MD resident.

But you can travel to the FFL or MDSP fine. You are transporting to a destination in which you are to take it to a gun shop, MDSP, Hunting, Range or just moving. Just make sure its not loaded and all ammo is seperate. I.E. ammo in the glove box and firearm in the trunk.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Slick17 View Post
    You can ship or travel to the FFL. It can also be done at a MD State Police Barrack. There is a waiting period. So if you were to Ship to a FFL, the FFL would have possesion of the firearm until the buyer was cleared by MD. If you take it to the FFL or the MDSP they will normally advise you to keep possesion of the firearm until it has clear and the buyer has waited the 7 day wait. I had to do this when I sold my AR to another MD resident.

But you can travel to the FFL or MDSP fine. You are transporting to a destination in which you are to take it to a gun shop, MDSP, Hunting, Range or just moving. Just make sure its not loaded and all ammo is seperate. I.E. ammo in the glove box and firearm in the trunk.
    Federal law says it has to go to a FFL - there is no getting around it. One must abide by Federal law first. Since it doesn't allow for LEO middleman transfers, it must go through a FFL. ...which for handguns, it must be a FFL in the receiving party's home state.

The MDSP thing is for MD intrastate transfers.
    Last edited by knight0334; August 21st, 2012 at 05:15 PM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

I currently live in Virginia, Sold a pistol to my Brother in Maryland a few months back - I had to show up at the FFL w/gun and show my VA Drivers License and I think that was it, He had to wait something stupid like 30 days before he could P/U the gun.

TJB
    Recoil Happens

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by TJB63 View Post
    I currently live in Virginia, Sold a pistol to my Brother in Maryland a few months back - I had to show up at the FFL w/gun and show my VA Drivers License and I think that was it, He had to wait something stupid like 30 days before he could P/U the gun.

TJB
    It's seven business days. I just sold my brother-in-law one of my pistols and we did the transfer in Emmitsburg at the gun store there.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix01 View Post
    It's seven business days. I just sold my brother-in-law one of my pistols and we did the transfer in Emmitsburg at the gun store there.
    You are right Phoenix ~ I think he had purchased a firearm a few weeks before and Maryland does have the "One Firearm a Month" deal...So He had to wait the extra time before He could pick it up.

Interestingly enough, Virginia just did away with that same law this past July. We had it in effect since the VA tech shootings, of course if you have a CC Permit, It didn't matter.

TJB
    Recoil Happens

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast