Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Perry County)

Default Sell pistols to buy other guns?

I have 2 pistols that I really have no use for and I was thinking about selling them to buy a gun I would use more.

I have a Bersa Thunder .380 and Colt 1908 Vest Pocket .25 ACP.

I bought the Bersa for CC but it was still pretty big and I have a S&W Model 36 I would prefer to use for CC. I shot it a few times after I got it, but haven't shot it in years.

I bought the Colt within the last year mainly because I thought it looked cool and it was an old Colt, but once I got it I was like, what am I going to do with this? I shot it once and it wasn't even fun to shoot. It's way too small for my hands.

Neither gun is really worth a whole lot. Not sure if keeping the Colt will be an investment and it will be worth something later on. I see some going for a decent amount of money but those are in pristine condition or have ivory grips which are probably worth just as much as the gun is by itself.

I've been looking at the Savage 10 FCP or Precision Carbine and AK-47s.

What do you guys think?

(Tioga County)

Default Re: Sell pistols to buy other guns?

Trade them in. They will find a good home. I sold a rifle and shotgun and used the proceeds toward new guns. They were sitting in my gun cabinet for 20 years unused.
    MikeP

(Cumberland County)

Wink Re: Sell pistols to buy other guns?

i,ll take the colt. it all depends on your needs and $. i have sold guns in the past that i no longer had a interest in. as we get older our likes and dislikes change, it is a ever evolving process. getting rid of unused items to get something you will use is not wrong in my eyes. again i,ll take the colt for fair market $. i,m just over the mtn.

(Philadelphia County)

Agreed. Some say "never sell a gun". I say "Never sell a gun unless you're going to use the money towards another gun". Unless they are bought for (and have) specific financial value as an investment and you are hoping that will increase, go ahead and trade a shooter for another shooter. If you're lucky, you will get what you paid for a gun or a few dollars more. If you're forced to take less than what you paid, consider it a rental fee. I really never saw the sense in keeping one "just to have" if its not likely to increase in value significantly and you are not really shooting it that much (or at all!).
    Be Safe,
    Jim

(Philadelphia County)

I also want to add a caution: Your Bersa is easily replaced if you decide after the fact that you liked it more than you thought and you miss it, you can always buy another one. I know nothing about your Colt, and it sounds like you're not that into it, anyway, but I caution people about selling or trading something that would be hard to replace.

When people post that they are thinking of trading or selling one of two guns, my advice is always to sell the one that is easier to replace.
    Be Safe,
    Jim

(Warren County)

If the gun isn't for you then by all means put it up for sale. Use the $ for something you like, I've done that several times.
    Tim , USAF Ret.

(Jefferson County)

I'd sell the Bersa because it can easily be replaced later should you want another. I'd keep the Colt for a collectors piece.

If you have time, sell the Bersa outright. You WILL get hosed on a trade-in compared to selling to another private individual. ...the dealer has to make money, so you will get a low-ball offer.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Indiana County)

Odd I'm in about the same shoes, I bought the bersa for CC and just didn't like it so I've been trying to decide what to do with it.

(Cumberland County)

Keep the colt... definitely.
    The Beauty of the 2nd Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.

(Bucks County)

old colts are always worth keeping around regardless if you shoot them or not. so far as the bersa is concerned they have little trade in or resale value so you might as well hold on to that one too. if you can find a private buyer you'll get a little more for the bersa but you're best bet is to save some money and then buy the gun you want that you'll get more use out of. i've sold firearms to buy other firearms on several occasions and while there are some i hope to never sell none have any sentimental value except the dryse my father gave me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast