Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Cumberland County)

Default West Shore Sportsman's Association

Does anybody here belong to West Shore Sportsman's Association in Lewisberry? I live in Mechanicsburg and there arent alot of ranges around here, especially indoor pistol ranges. I looked on their site and membership fees are reasonable and its relatively close. They also have IDPA matches there. I am a newbie when it comes to that, so I would love to get into that. Maybe I am making my own mind up here, but anybody with experience there would be greatly appreciated.

(York County)

Default Re: West Shore Sportsman's Association

I am a member along with quite a few others on here.

They have a nice selection of pistol ranges and just the one rifle range. I like it and find it to be very laid back and have yet to meet any idiots there.

There is the monthly meeting on the last tuesday of the month at 7:30pm and anyone is welcome to come. That is also the best time to join. If you can get there early, then check out the ranges or, if you want to go and check it out some other time, post up and someone should be willing to show you around.

(Cumberland County)

Fantastic. I will definitely stop by. I appreciate the help. See ya at the range.

(Cumberland County)

Are the ranges at this club usually pretty full? I am debating whether to join this club or the Carlisle Fish and Game (it is only 5 minutes from my house).

I would really like to be able to shoot indoors during the freezing weather though. I am also looking to get into 3-gun. Is this something that the WSSA does or has the ranges appropriate to train on?
    The Beauty of the 2nd Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.

(Cumberland County)

Hey Ja, I am looking into joining this club too as I want an indoor range to shoot as well. My membership ended at Carlisle Fish and Game. I liked it, but no indoor facilities. Plus I wanna get into IDPA and they have practices there for that. I am probably going to join. I may go there this weekend to see it. I was looking for info on the club too.

(Perry County)

To both Poker guy and JAChrist; I think you are on the right track. When I wanted to get into IDPA I joined West Shore (Sights is their Action Pistol club), they meet on Thursdays, and it is a great bunch to learn the skills with.

Unfortuanatly they don't do 3-gun at West Shore. However, Lewistown Pistol has three 3-gun matches scheduled this year and there is a monthly, sort of 3-gun at Heidelburg. From Carlisle you are probably about as close to Inwood WVa, they have matches at Summit Point Raceway (Summit Point Action Shooters) although they may be moving to Peacemaker Range. Either way you get off at the Inwood exit and proceed East or West depending on which range.

Whatever you do though join West Shore and take advantage of the practice Hersh is a great guy (for a left hander), and an excellent teacher.

(Cumberland County)

I was actually at their montly meeting last night and am officially a member now. I may go shoot tonight. How do you like the indoor range there?

(Perry County)

There indoor range is adequate. The ventilation is not state of the art, but adequate when it isn't really cold. For learning IDPA or other action shooting techniques the Sights practice Thurs night is the place to be. They have a regular group of competent shooters who are always ready to welcome newcomers.

(Cumberland County)

I went there tonight. The indoor range is quite adequate as you stated. I hope to go there this weekend and shoot some steel.

(Philadelphia County)

I took a training class at this range from a pretty popular instructor a few years back.

Great range, nice facilities and the few members that were there seemed pleasant.

As stated, they seemed very active in "Action type shooting".

I wouldn't hesitate to join if I lived within a reasonable distance.