Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Llama Minimax .40 mag

Our Llama did very poorly today....FTL like, one almost every magazine, usually the 3rd, 4th, or 5th bullet.

Think maybe we need a new magazine.....? But how are we supposed to find THAT? haha. I looked it up but looks like its gonna be difficult unless I find somebody who has a spare they're willing to sell? Of course they'll all be just as old as ours is....
    Last edited by cakeshooter; January 9th, 2012 at 01:13 PM.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Llama Minimax .40 mag

Eww... Good luck with finding mags for that. Llama went out of business a few years ago.

Numrich's is out of the MiniMax .40 mags.
    Same with MidwayUSA.
    Cheaperthandirt doesn't have any Llama mags listed at all.
    None at Brownells.
    None at gunclip depot either..

You might be able to find new springs instead of replacing the entire magazine. A .40S&W 1911 magazine spring might be able to be made work too.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Cumberland County)

Yeah, you'll just have to hunt - numerich, gunbroker, gunshows. If I had any xtra i'd offer them up but I don't . Good luck!

(Bucks County)

Thanks! Didn't know about numerich...sent them an email to see if they think they'll get any more in.

Does it sound like we need a new magazine, from what I describe?

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by cakeshooter View Post
    Thanks! Didn't know about numerich...sent them an email to see if they think they'll get any more in.

Does it sound like we need a new magazine, from what I describe?
    Sorry to say, there is a reason why Llama went bankrupt three times, and was only able to reorganize twice. They were not 100 percent 1911 clones, so although some 1911 parts will fit (with some "fitting"), more will not. And the quality control was very haphazard. If you got a Llama that worked, you were fortunate. If you got one that didn't work, it was easy to spend three times the cost of the pistol on parts and gunsmithing, and STILL not have a reliable firearm.

Candidly, I would advise you to not spend another nickel on the Llama. Sell it to someone who wants to because it's a Lama and he knows what he's getting, and buy yourself a newer firearm with a reputation for reliabilty, made by a company that's still in business. If you like the 1911 platform, Rock Island offers a couple of models in 9mm (nothing that I know of in .40 S&W).

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Greywolf View Post
    Sorry to say, there is a reason why Llama went bankrupt three times, and was only able to reorganize twice. They were not 100 percent 1911 clones, so although some 1911 parts will fit (with some "fitting"), more will not. And the quality control was very haphazard. If you got a Llama that worked, you were fortunate. If you got one that didn't work, it was easy to spend three times the cost of the pistol on parts and gunsmithing, and STILL not have a reliable firearm.

Candidly, I would advise you to not spend another nickel on the Llama. Sell it to someone who wants to because it's a Lama and he knows what he's getting, and buy yourself a newer firearm with a reputation for reliabilty, made by a company that's still in business. If you like the 1911 platform, Rock Island offers a couple of models in 9mm (nothing that I know of in .40 S&W).
    Yeah. I was very unhappy with it today. Of course I get very frustrated, VERY fast with any gun failures (which is why I was stomping my foot at the Sig Mosquito today, too....) and I don't have any patience for it. My husband tends to want to work things out more than I do. Thankfully the weapons we will be carrying haven't had any problems.

If it were up to me, I'd go to the gun store right now and trade in the Sig and the Llama (or sell, whatever) and get the new Ruger SR22 and whatever (hub wants a Glock 26 or larger, we'll see) in their places but...gotta take this a step at a time on a budget. haha.

I think somebody sold the Llama to my husband way back when it was much more difficult to just get online and do the research on a handgun...we probably got taken. LOL. It was a FTF sale from someone we knew at the time, but looking back the guy tended to be dishonest anyhow.
    Last edited by cakeshooter; January 9th, 2012 at 04:23 PM.

(Bucks County)

What would be a good suggestion for a good reliable home defense gun in its place? Loved how the Llama felt in my hand and how it shot...well WHEN it shot....ehhh.....

Liked the weight and how it absorbed the recoil...made it easier to aim and shoot.

(Bucks County)

(Jefferson County)

A 1911 Officer or Defender sized .40S&W mag spring can probably be made to work.

You could gamble on getting a whole mag and trying out the spring in the Llama magazine. Here is a whole .40S&W Officer mag for $18+S&H. http://www.cdnninvestments.com/19de407rdstm.html ...might require some customizing of the spring though.

Just remove the spring, then put it in your Llama magazine to see if it works. If it doesn't, you're only out the $18+S&H.

It might be worth a try???
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast