Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: XDm 3.8 45ACP

(York County)

Question XDm 3.8 45ACP

Finally got to go to the range with this gun. Other then 4 light primer strikes. Which were form the primers in my reloads, not being seated properly. I didnt have any other failures. I did come across a little problem with the gun though.

When loading a loaded mag into the gun. When the slide was front. I was getting alot of resistance. Only with loaded mags, and not when the slide was locked back. Is this normal for XDs? Is it some thing that will breakin after time?
    I AM A PROFESSIONAL. DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME

(Mercer County)

Default Re: XDm 3.8 45ACP

Perfectly normal for all semiautos. The top round contacts the bottom of the slide when the slide is forward, creating the resistance you're feeling.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by sprrdhawk44 View Post
    Perfectly normal for all semiautos. The top round contacts the bottom of the slide when the slide is forward, creating the resistance you're feeling.
    I have other polymers and 1911s. It doesn't feel normal to me. Of coarse this is my first xd. Maybe I'm just being a wimp.

Probably should have added. That once I force the mag in. The mag release button is a real bitch, to push in to release the mag.

It is perfectly normal to feel some resistance when there are cartridges in the magazines. There is a ton of stuff on the net about the mag release being hard to push on the XD when it has cartridges in the mag. I read somewhere that SA will correct this issue if you send it in to them. They realize it is a problem.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Mercer County)

Right. Like I said, when a fully loaded magazine is inserted into a pistol that's in battery, the slide will force the top round back down into the magazine, pushing against the upward pressure that the mag spring is exerting on the round. Once the magazine is seated, there is a greater amount of pressure being exerted on the magazine release. This is more common in double stack magazines than in single stack, as the top round is under a lot more pressure. This is why double stack magazines are "harder" to load than single stacks.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

You can put a dab of grease on the mag release shelf on the inside of the magwell and then pop the mag in and out a bunch of times (do with the mag loaded and no round in the chamber) to wear it in, some. It is not bad that it is stiff, especially if you are going to fight with it, but too hard to push will definitely be a pain in the a...
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(York County)

It is normal, I have a XDM 40 4.5" it is like that too.

Just as stated above... and to add to that... They have some stiff mag springs and the mag release actually turns and slides when you push it instead of just sliding straight across like most others.
    To help you can push up on the full mag and it will lessen the pressure required to push the mag button

But really, most of the time if you are shooting the gun, it will have a empty mag that you are dropping, and the slide will be locked back so the full reload will slide right in.

Nice gun BTW. I was just checking out the specs of the XDM 45c this AM, I want to compare one side by side to a G30 sometime.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Beardog View Post
    It is normal, I have a XDM 40 4.5" it is like that too.

Just as stated above... and to add to that... They have some stiff mag springs and the mag release actually turns and slides when you push it instead of just sliding straight across like most others.
    To help you can push up on the full mag and it will lessen the pressure required to push the mag button

But really, most of the time if you are shooting the gun, it will have a empty mag that you are dropping, and the slide will be locked back so the full reload will slide right in.

Nice gun BTW. I was just checking out the specs of the XDM 45c this AM, I want to compare one side by side to a G30 sometime.
    Thanks. The gun is great. This is just something that bugged me. When I empty my magazines. I have a habit of releasing the slide, dry fire and holster. So when I reloaded the gun (in battery). I would really notice. Oh well this is just one of those things that "build character" I guess.
    Last edited by coble; January 8th, 2012 at 10:58 PM.