Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Cumberland County)

Default Trying new Loads

I am trying some new loads for 30-06 Spr., 22-250, and 7mm-08. I have been looking for some loads that have worked well for other people and powders that yall recommend. I want to know what you guys think of H-VARGET powder, BL-C(2), and H4350. If you could give me suggestions of accurate loads and what you suggest as far as powder. Thanks
    " If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger gun"

(Berks County)

Default Re: Trying new Loads

Varget is one of the best all around powders. I use it in my 7mm-08 with 120 Nosler Ballistic tip and it will give me 1/2 groups at 100 yards. I found my rifle likes Nosler bullets and Hornady bullets. For Hornady bullets I use the 139 grain sst and for the Nosler bullets I use the 120 ballistic tip and the 140 grain Combined Tech Silver tip and the 150 grain CT silver tip. I tried the Barnes bullets but my rifle did not like them. For loads I recommend getting the Nosler manual and the Hornady manual. You should go look at the Nosler Forum site, a lot of good info there. Every rifle is different what works in my rifle may not work in yours. With the 7mm-08 ,I recommend firing your cases and only neck size them. My groups dropped a 1/2inch when using a neck sized case.
    The truth shall set you free.

They can have my guns when they pry them from my cold dead hands

I can not wait until NJ sinks in the ocean and PA has ocean front property

(Cumberland County)

I have used BL-C(2) in some 308 WIN. It's a ball, so it meters like silk through a powder measure. Velocity is as consistent as the charge.

I haven't use the other 2 powders, so I have no input to offer on them.

However, if you're running a semi-auto rifle, be careful of the burn rate. Search the internet boards for reloading for the the M1A or M1 Garand. Burn rate is critical for these rifles. If you're loading for a bolt gun, whatever suitable powder you choose is fine.
    Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

(Franklin County)

Agree Varget is an excellent powdre for a variety of calibers. Its one of the Hogdon Extreme powders, so is less temperature sensitive than most. I've been told it doesn't meter well, but I have had no problem. I use it in a 223 and 22-250, and get .3 to .6 MOA with each of them.

In my 22-250 (1/12" twist), my load is 34.7g Varget with a 53g Hornady Match ball.