Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: LCP

(Bucks County)

Default LCP

So for my first pistol (self defense) I was going between the LCP and LC9. I have longer hands for a girl (I'm 5'11") so my pinkie didn't even fit around the LCP and it just didn't feel comfy to hold like the LC9 (as you know, I have and LOVE it). So got the LC9 plus the guy said the LCP is just difficult to shoot...said you run a few hundred rounds through it and that's it, you just carry it after that because its a pain to shoot.

However I want to start carrying in church eventually, and even with the smartcarry holster I just bought, I know that I would not be able to conceal my 9 very well in the outfit I'm wearing today (an extra holiday pound or two on my belly isn't helping.) I think the LCP would conceal better on church days.

After I finish paying off all the junk I just bought this week, hahaha.....and once I'm pretty good at handling my LC9 (I feel like I'm improving already, and I have red marks all in my right hand from all the practice last night)....do you think the LCP would be a good purchase just to use for times it would be more difficult to conceal the 9?

I got a handbag too (coming tomorrow) so the 9 can easily conceal there, but I don't really carry that to church especially as I do kids programs as well and can't just lug a handbag with me everywhere....and I sure don't want any little kids making me haha..."Mommy, my teacher today had a GUN!!!"

LCP as bad as the gun shop guy said? I want my 9 to be my primary carry but I was thinking it would be good to have something smaller....
    Last edited by cakeshooter; January 8th, 2012 at 10:37 AM.

Default Re: LCP

Quote Originally Posted by cakeshooter View Post
    LCP as bad as the gun shop guy said? I want my 9 to be my primary carry but I was thinking it would be good to have something smaller....
    I think most pocket guns have the reputation of not being much fun to shoot. (This it where the Sig P238 owners jump in and disagree.) I have a Bodyguard 380 and it's great to throw in the pocket, but I wouldn't trust myself with it past 7 yards or so. It's the only gun I own that I can't get rid of all my ammo for simply because it can be unpleasant (less accurary, more recoil, heavy trigger pull).

However, I will warn you that once I started getting used to the ease of carrying a little pocket gun I was much less likely to carry my bigger guns, even the compacts.

(Philadelphia County)

I carry an LCP as a back-up to my .45 Auto's. The little gun is easy to conceal, but is not much fun to shoot, due to it's recoil. Ruger sells mags with an extended base which the pinky finger rests on, which provides some improvement. However, the .380 is not very effective in self defense, if I were only carrying one gun I would opt for the LC9. In fact, I am considering replacing the LCP with the not much larger LC9 as my back up gun.

The trick to concealing a gun, is to choose clothing that makes the task possible.

Best of Luck!
    Rich
    NRA Certified Instructor Pistol & Shotgun

(Cumberland County)

The lcp is an awesome bug or pocket gun, one of the best IMO. I have several 380's and the lcp is by far the most concealable, easy to carry of them all. Sure, it's a bit rough on the hand after several rounds, but once you put a couple hundred through it to be sure it's good to go, it won't be a range gun. My sig 238 is a much more comfortable shooter, bet doesnt totally disappear in pocket like the lcp - and being s/a - not instantly ready to go like the d/a lcp. IMO, can't go wrong with lcp !

(Bucks County)

Dont forget the Keltec P32. Holds one more round than rugers stolen design of the Keltec P3AT, but much more manageable to shoot. The P3AT is a stout gun, lots of people do not like the recoil. YMMV!
    Gotta stay awake, gotta try and shake off this creeping malaise

@OP:

The LC9 is really much bigger, so the LCP is obviously far more concealable.

With a finger extension mag baseplate installed, the LCP is much easier to grip and hold than with the factory flush fit magazine base. Make sure the LCP you're trying out has a finger extension installed so you can feel it before you dismiss it's grip as inadequate.

The LCP is really not unpleasant to shoot with typical low powered range ammo. Mine has 1000rds through it so far. However with HOT defensive +P ammo, it does have some sting to it. Of course, in a real defensive situation....who cares!

To me, the LC9 would be a solid home defense, OC, or cold weather carry pistol, whereas the LCP is just flat out superior when it comes to true concealment.

I would say the gun store clerk did what he is paid to do. He upsold you to a more expensive gun. The LC9 is a good pistol, it will serve you well, but the LCP is clearly a much better "church gun" for you.
    Last edited by Valorius; January 8th, 2012 at 12:49 PM.

(Indiana County)

Modern .380 rounds are right up there with .38Spec.

http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php...duct_list&c=29
    http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php...duct_list&c=57
    http://www.hornady.com/store/380-Aut...itical-Defense

I carry this in my LCP for the first 3 rounds:
    http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php...t_detail&p=127
    Followed by 4 Critical Defense.

Do not make it a habit of running +P round through the LCP, try a few and then load them for carry.

Not everyone wants to lug around a .45 and IMO a few well placed .380 rounds of high quality will do just fine in a close encounter.

As for shoot-ability of the LCP, I have bigger than average hands and I don't find it unpleasant to shoot, but I sure don't call it pleasant either.
    I'm used to shooting a variety of handguns since I still work with my gunsmith buddy once in a while and get to shoot many different calibers in many different guns.

The LCP has some flip for me but it is not like it's painful or anything. Not a target pistol and after about 25 rounds I lose interest.

That said, I carry my LCP everyday, all day. I use a Blackhawk pocket holster and am thinking about getting a leather one. The Blackhawk has been fine for over a year, but with certain pants it can get tilted at a funny angle and I find myself "fixing" it in my pocket more than I'd like.

(Cumberland County)

They are spot on about the LCP being no fun to shoot. I have one and it has one role, self defense. It is ridiculously easy to conceal and if you have to use it, you won't be worried about the "fun" factor. Just practice with it and deal with the recoil. I bought a Kahr CM9 for my carry weapon now and it too is easy to conceal and is smaller than the LC9. I wanted a 9mm carry gun and since I own a Glock-19 i can buy one caliber round for both guns. The Kahr is more expensive than the Ruger, but it is pretty sweet. Good Luck.

(Montgomery County)

I'll recommend the Sig p238. Great pocket gun that's very easy to conceal, light weight, and is easy on the hands in terms of recoil.

I would advise storing a gun in a purse.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by RXM View Post
    I'll recommend the Sig p238. Great pocket gun that's very easy to conceal, light weight, and is easy on the hands in terms of recoil.

I would advise storing a gun in a purse.
    Thanks for all the great advice!

I did order a conceal purse and I do plan on using that a lot..I want to switch out between purse and hip carry depending on the situation and what I'm wearing.

I want my LC9 to be my primary carry (purse, baggier clothes) but I am thinking about getting the LCP to wear for church or light summer clothes.... I guess if I get another laserlyte for .380 I can work with it at home without so much range time too....

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast