Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Lehigh County LTCF question

I was researching LTCF for Lehigh County & I'm a bit confused. On the main page of the website it says "In addition, the Sheriff's Office issues permits to carry a concealed weapon within the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. These permits are issued only after an appropriate background investigation is completed." Researching further I then found "1/1/11 lehigh county sherrifs office will no longer sell firearm permits." So how do I go about applying for LTCF in Lehigh County?? I couldn't any other information regarding how to apply for an LTCF in Lehigh County on either the county website or the Sherrif's Office website. According to the Northampton County website I cannot apply there either because they only accept applications from legal Northampton County residents. Lehigh County residents have to be able to apply/get LTCF somewhere!!

(York County)

Default Re: Lehigh County LTCF question

Quote Originally Posted by Gungirl2007 View Post
    I was researching LTCF for Lehigh County & I'm a bit confused. On the main page of the website it says "In addition, the Sheriff's Office issues permits to carry a concealed weapon within the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. These permits are issued only after an appropriate background investigation is completed."
    ^This is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Gungirl2007 View Post
    Researching further I then found "1/1/11 lehigh county sherrifs office will no longer sell firearm permits." So how do I go about applying for LTCF in Lehigh County?? I couldn't any other information regarding how to apply for an LTCF in Lehigh County on either the county website or the Sherrif's Office website. According to the Northampton County website I cannot apply there either because they only accept applications from legal Northampton County residents. Lehigh County residents have to be able to apply/get LTCF somewhere!!

^This (bold part) is not correct. Where did you see this? Do you have a link to it?
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

^This (bold part) is not correct. Where did you see this? Do you have a link to it?
    I found it:

*NOTICE*

EFFECTIVE 01/01/11

<SNIP>

In addition this office will no longer sell licenses for Sportsman’s Firearms Permits.

Gungirl2007... a Sportsman’s Firearms Permit is much different than a LTCF.
    You DO apply to the sheriff for a LTCF

Welcome to the forum

(Lehigh County)

First, Welcome. Second, as already mentioned the LC Sheriff stopped issuing the Sportsman’s Permits. They are a different thing all together, unless you are hunting and don’t have your LTCF you have no need to worry about this.

If you're going to apply at the office just head over and pick up the application, fill it out and hand it back to the person working the desk. They will snap your picture then and in a couple weeks you should get it in the mail. If you have any other questions feel free to post them! Good luck!
    Criminals LOVE gun control. It gives them a safe work enviroment.

(Lehigh County)

Also, be aware that the paperwork may ask you for two Lehigh County residents as references.

I'm under the impression the state doesn't require it, or other counties, but it's a flaw/quirk Lehigh County *cough*Sheriff Rossi* thing.

Good luck, let us know how it goes. Welcome to the forum, lots of great advice to be had here.

(Lehigh County)

Thanks for the clarification. Lehigh County's website sucks!! I had to search a number of different "keywords" before I was even able to find any information at all regarding LTCF & the information was not very clear at all when I finally did find it. No where on the website does it tell you how to apply for a non-hunting LTCF. It just says they issue them on the landing page of the website for the Sherrif's Office, but doesn't tell you anything else. They could at least tell you that you need to go to the courthouse to apply for the permit in person, it would definitely clear up some confusion!! I am definitely just looking for a non-hunting LTCF.
    Last edited by Gungirl2007; January 8th, 2012 at 12:13 PM.

(Lehigh County)

Smile Re: Lehigh County LTCF question

Hello everyone,
    New member here. It was pretty simple process, filled application at the LC Sherrif's Office, on Jan 10, paid $20 and got picture taken. Lady behind counter was pleasant. Got my laminated card in the mail on Feb 3 . Pretty easy process. :-) Glad to be here! Love the forum.

Sometime this year Sheriff Rossi changed his policy and references no longer need to be Lehigh County residents, only residents of PA.

The Sheriff's Office never issued the Sportsman Permit anyway. That was done up the street at the Government Center fiscal office. The have in fact stopped doing so. While this may be irritating I can assure you the person who used to do it that got laid off is even more upset.

(Lehigh County)

My girlfriend and I both got our permits with little to no hicups invovled. Very pleasent process for the most part. As for the references, we did get ours last year in 2011 and we had to provide 2 Lehigh resident references each. If that changed onlt someone this year could fill you in better.

Also Sheriff Rossi signs for NFA items if anyone is curious...Just speading the good word.

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzywuzzy View Post
    Sometime this year Sheriff Rossi changed his policy and references no longer need to be Lehigh County residents, only residents of PA.
    Actually, the sheriff can't require that the references be PA residents either. On the official LTCF application, the only requirement is that they be "not family members".

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzywuzzy View Post
    The Sheriff's Office never issued the Sportsman Permit anyway. That was done up the street at the Government Center fiscal office. The have in fact stopped doing so. While this may be irritating I can assure you the person who used to do it that got laid off is even more upset.
    The PA Sportsman’s Firearms Permit, is issued by the county treasurer, according to statute.
    Last edited by HiredGoon; April 1st, 2012 at 04:51 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast