Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Denied!

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Denied!

15round, Was your file placed in research or were you denied. In research they must respoind within 15 days!

If you were denied and you don't have the bucks for an attorney, you should file a challange within 30 days of the denial. You can obtain a form from your Sheriff's Office or Print the one listed on this State Police Site. You should also attach a letter of explaination and list the letter on the challange form.
    The response should list in detail the reason you were denied.
    Click Here!
    Last edited by Rich-D; January 7th, 2012 at 03:01 PM.
    NRA Certified Instructor Pistol & Shotgun

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by bac0nfat View Post
    I would delete your above post and contact a lawyer. You might be prohibited, and you just admitted to owning guns on a public forum.
    How do I do that?

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by 15round View Post
    At this point I am not worried about buying a gun. I am worried about being charged with a crime. Would the authorites be lenient considering I was given misinformation and did not knowingly lie? Also, I have no prior record of anything, not even a speeding ticket.Thanks for the posts. Are any of you attornies?

May not like to hear this but...#1 I am glad that you were denied, and if you have any future medication changes that in your own words would lead you to become "suicidal" you will not be able to use a legal gun to do so. I don't mean to sound harsh.

#2 It CLEARLY asks you on the form? A response of "I didn't realize what it asked"won't fly.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by ACRblaze View Post
    May not like to hear this but...#1 I am glad that you were denied, and if you have any future medication changes that in your own words would lead you to become "suicidal" you will not be able to use a legal gun to do so. I don't mean to sound harsh.

#2 It CLEARLY asks you on the form? A response of "I didn't realize what it asked"won't fly.
    I did realize what it asked. I was told it would not be on my record. My publc defender told me this and I thought it was true coming from an attorney. I answered the question based on the knowledge I had. I did not knowingly provide a false answer.

(Centre County)

15round, I'm not the first nor will I be the last to say this:

You REALLY NEED A LAWYER to get all of this sorted out, you just don't know the workings of the system like a lawyer does. You will probably also have to interact with the public defender that advised you, especially if you need copies of previous paperwork. That is where the lawyer helps the most, to get everything sorted out.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Quote Originally Posted by bac0nfat View Post
    ... you just admitted to owning guns on a public forum.
    I re-read his posts and still didn't see where he admitted to owning guns. What am I missing?

15Round... I don't believe the dealer is told why a person is denied, so at this point you're only guessing. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think in the next step PICS will send you a letter stating what the problem is. At that point you can evaluate your legal position and decide whether or not you need to consult an attorney.

Right now I think your greatest need is to gather any paperwork regarding your hospitalization (in case that is what the issue is), but that is something you should have anyway. I really don't understand the 302s and 303s (and, IANAL), but right now you don't really know exactly what is on your record, or exactly how it's stated, so it's too early to panic. Just wait for the PICS letter.

I hope you can work this out, but if indeed you are are and remain a person prohibited, perhaps that's for your own good. I hope you can understand that.

Best Wishes to you in working through this!

(Centre County)

If he marked YES for anything other than #11.a, the dealer would have stopped the sale himself and never called the PICS. PICS NEVER sees the 4473. I have NEVER had a PICS operator ask me how someone answered questions 11.a through 11.l. If a PICS operator askes for anything, they normally ask for the answer in 3 and 14 plus ht, wt, hair, eyes.

A dealer WILL NOT be told why someone is denied, nor will the PSP or PICS ever send anything saying why he was denied UNLESS he does the challenge form. The challenge form MUST be done within 30 days of the date of the denial from PICS.

Once the PSP has the challenge form they will do the investigation and within 60 days issue a determination. If it is approved, the prospective gun owner will get a unique number from the PSP that he will use from now on when he buys a gun. If denied, they will then tell him why he was denied. If this happens, he can then go other routes (lawyer, getting whatever caused the denial thrown out, etc.) to try to clear his name and record so that he won't be denied again.
    Last edited by Xringshooter; January 7th, 2012 at 08:24 PM.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Montgomery County)

15 Round you've been given good advice. Too soon to panic. Find your paperwork and a well qualified lawyer with expertise in firarm related issues and get things sorted out. At least then you'll know what you are actually dealing with and how to proceed.

For the rest of my .02, 15 Round came here for information, trying to comply with the laws and to do the right thing. How 'bout instead of standing in judgement of him, over something no one really knows anything about, we give the benefit of the doubt and try to help him find the answers he needs.

None of us, including those of us with medical degrees (of which I am not one) are in any position to know what happened in the past or assess the present from behind a keyboard. IOTW if you haven't got anything constructive to offer, why not just spare us all the unfounded rants.

(Washington County)

I think coble thinks I should not own guns. I am 40 and have never had a problem with the law, not even a speeding ticket. I do have depression that is controlled with medication( me and millions of other people ) The medication worked for 10 years then started to become less effective. Different meds were tried and I went thru a really bad time. I did have thoughts of suicide during these times but always got help. I have been fine for almost a year now and feeling great. I dont think my episode should stop me from having guns to protect my family. My wife and 2 girls are my main priority.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by capitolcop View Post
    Your original commitment was a 302 and that will prevent you unless you can rectify it.
    Agree, OP stated it was a involuntary commitment. Sound like the public defender didn't follow up on the deal offered and the original commitment record is coming into play.

OP as other's advised get an attorney involved.
    Last edited by DonM55; January 7th, 2012 at 09:33 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast