Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default Finger strengthening

I bought one of those finger strengthening thingies at the checkout at Classic Pistol and have been working with it whenever I'm sitting here just reading or whatever.

Will that help reduce some of the unsteadiness I have when shooting? Especially going off with my aim during trigger pull? (Especially my long trigger on my LC9, although its easier if I pull it most of the way, then steady my aim, and then shoot...)

I have a good eye but I have to work on keeping my hands steady, as they shake a little bit sometimes, especially with the longer trigger pulls.

(York County)

Default Re: Finger strengthening

It can't hurt, however we don't know your starting point. You may already have ample strength/dexterity. It's all subjective, isn't it?

The next time you have a range day planned, cut out simple carbohydrates (sugars) and caffeine the day of your trip, maybe even the night before as well. You might be surprised at the difference it could make if these items are already a regular part of your diet.

I noticed how much easier it was for me to take jitter-free pictures with my camera if I skipped coffee and cereal in the morning when I knew I would be using the camera that day.

The other thing you can do is just practice. If you're new to shooting (and I believe you are), then you really need to get out and just shoot. Shoot until you find a weakness or issue, find a correction for it, and put the correction in place and shoot some more. There are many folks who have been shooting for decades, and they are well up into the 10's of thousands of rounds sent downrange. Some of these folks make it look easy, like they've got it all figured out. Well... they do!

Lastly, although this really needs to be at the top of all your priorities, is training. Training in safety, training in proficiency/target, and training in self-defense. Then practicing what you've been trained. This will add much to your confidence. Trial and error is no way to learn firearms safety and proficiency! As the saying goes, "If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you!"
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Montgomery County)

They sold you a ballpoint pen but called it a trigger finger exerciser? LoL

Pretty much the same thing.. Prob better to just use the gun though and dry fire.

Your trigger finger isn't holding it steady though.. The rest of your hand, and your support hand should be. I dunno what the trigger is like on your gun. I know it took me close to a thousand rounds to get used to mine.. Then I went and changed it.. And I'm actually having work done to lighten it up a lot right now.. So more rounds to get used to it again.

Dry fire helps with the trigger pull.. Live fire helps with the nerves (or as my friend suggests, drink a short of alcohol before you shoot), and recoil anticipation. I still will jump a little when someone fires. Just hanging out at the range and getting used to the noise helps. Especially indoors, outside it isn't nearly as bad.
    The problem with shooting Chinese bullets is 15 minutes later you wanna shoot again.

(Bucks County)

Thanks. I'll definitely be practicing a lot.... going to book a class too although they are booked up for several months at this point.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pkspawn View Post
    They sold you a ballpoint pen but called it a trigger finger exerciser? LoL

Pretty much the same thing.. Prob better to just use the gun though and dry fire.

Your trigger finger isn't holding it steady though.. The rest of your hand, and your support hand should be. I dunno what the trigger is like on your gun. I know it took me close to a thousand rounds to get used to mine.. Then I went and changed it.. And I'm actually having work done to lighten it up a lot right now.. So more rounds to get used to it again.

Dry fire helps with the trigger pull.. Live fire helps with the nerves (or as my friend suggests, drink a short of alcohol before you shoot), and recoil anticipation. I still will jump a little when someone fires. Just hanging out at the range and getting used to the noise helps. Especially indoors, outside it isn't nearly as bad.
    Oh this makes me feel a lot better! I was getting mad at myself for closing my eyes briefly at the time of recoil....haha. I do jump a tad with the recoil. I especially need LOTS of practice with my carry gun since its smaller so more challenging to shoot. But I WANT to do it and I tend to be a perfectionist in something I WANT to do...so I get frustrated easily but I also want to make it work.

I ordered a laserlyte (its like a snap cap but it makes a quick laser dot on the wall where you "hit") for dry practice at home. (Sorry, only explained that because somebody the other day thought I meant a laser sight...)

My range is indoor....and somebody had a shotgun next to us today....good grief! LOL

I'll remember the caffeine/sugar thing. I was trying to keep the gun steady with the two hands but even that wasn't holding steady like I would want it to. And I'm the type that thinks I should be able to hit the bullseye after maybe 20 rounds (got close a couple times) but I will be practicing until I CAN.

I play guitar but since I play the frets of the guitar with my left hand ( I am a right handed guitarist) might not help. I actualy used one of those as well. Nothing that can make you better can hurt. I have also heard of people using those steel balls that you hold in your hand and rotate around.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by bluedog46 View Post
    I play guitar but since I play the frets of the guitar with my left hand ( I am a right handed guitarist) might not help. I actualy used one of those as well. Nothing that can make you better can hurt. I have also heard of people using those steel balls that you hold in your hand and rotate around.
    I have a guitar too! But I end up not having time to play it very much so...I guess it doesn't really matter too much.....haha.

(Luzerne County)

I picked up a few off of ebay. They are put out by a company called gripmaster. You can exercise all of the fingers or one at a time. This brand comes in a variety of strengths.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.