Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Default Pistol sights regulated to WHAT???

This question has come up a number of times lately, and some of the opinions are all over the planet.

"What ammo are the FIXED sights of pistols regulated for?" Including where POA equals POI at what distance?

38 SPL seems to generally be accepted to be 158 gr/ 850 fps.

SOME 9mm's are (supposedly) regulated for 120(124) gr/1200 fps.

And so forth.

Does anybody have any definitive information from gun manufacturers covering EXACTLY what their guns are factory tuned for?

Barrel length is a significant factor in this, but it would seem that the manufacturers have a means to adapt to this, too.

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

Default Re: Pistol sights regulated to WHAT???

i have often wondered the same thing.
    what ammo does glock primarily test with? how about sig, HK or ruger?
    they all have to have the "go to round" within the factory, or one would think at least.
    yeah, i am not from PA nor have i ever been to PA....still love reading this forum.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by t00sl0w View Post
    i have often wondered the same thing.
    what ammo does glock primarily test with? how about sig, HK or ruger?
    they all have to have the "go to round" within the factory, or one would think at least.
    My Glock came with an aluminum fired case. Which is typically Blazer. Isn't that all 115gr? (9mm) I changed the sights on this gun though, and shoot mostly 124gr.

I don't think my FNP45 came with anything. Maybe it did and I never looked. But I'll put money on that being fired with 230gr. Because when I fire 230gr it's DEAD on. Like effing laser beams.

I have no idea with the LCP's or Kimber UC II. Although again, I'd bet the Kimber is 230gr. (.45) The .380's though, I have no idea. They don't have freakin' sights anyway. So I'd never be able to tell you one way or another with those. It shoots on a 6" pasty. Ammo doesn't seem to make a difference. It's too hard for me to shoot to make a difference.

(Jefferson County)

Each manufacturer has their own regulations. Some center on "6"(6 o'clock). Some center on center. Then each has it's own choice on bullet weight/velocity for figuring that out. Then there are others that only proof their guns without regulating.

You will need to contact each manufacturer for each of your guns to find out if it isn't in the manual.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Each manufacturer has their own regulations. Some center on "6"(6 o'clock). Some center on center. Then each has it's own choice on bullet weight/velocity for figuring that out. Then there are others that only proof their guns without regulating.

You will need to contact each manufacturer for each of your guns to find out if it isn't in the manual.

You mean - - (Gasp!) . . . there is no STANDARD?

Well, whoda'thunkit?

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    You mean - - (Gasp!) . . . there is no STANDARD?

Well, whoda'thunkit?

Flash
    None at all.

I don't even think US manufacturers are required to "proof" their guns like they are in Italy. Most today who offer guns for sale in NY, MD, CA, and maybe a couple other states do fire a live cartridge or two and provide the cases for the respective states' ballistics databases when you buy the gun.

Then, the manufacturers that do "proof" and/or provide ballistics samples rarely sight the guns in any further than a simple alignment buy either hands-on or machinery.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

I think sight height is done based on what should work, but it doesn't always work. I've had to adjust the sights on several revolvers and old military rifles by carefully filing some steel off the top to get the elevation right. I've been fortunate with windage mostly but I did have to send a revolver back to Ruger to get the barrel turned in a bit further to get the sights zeroed.

(Cumberland County)

don,t forget shooting technique plays a large part in handgun shooting. even if certain manufacturers regulate i bet it is not as precise as you may think.

Quote Originally Posted by red dog View Post
    don,t forget shooting technique plays a large part in handgun shooting. even if certain manufacturers regulate i bet it is not as precise as you may think.
    Yep, and even if it was, the chances that buyers are going to duplicate what they do is nearly, no, it is, impossible. Tune or sight your gun (general statement) to you.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

All of what has been said is why you have to sight in your gun and find out where it is going to hit with the ammo you want to use. I have a friend with a Glock 17 that is an X-ring shooter when he uses Federal ammo. When he uses UMC he's all over. But, his Sig loves the UMC and does OK with Federal. Point of Aim is what you as the shooter make.