Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thumbs up 15min LTCF in Carbon!

A co-worker just got his in Carbon Co. He never owned a pistol or handled one since he got out of the Marine Corps. After working with and talking to me , he bought a pistol , and after taking him to my gun club , he asked about getting his LTC. He heard all sorts of BS. I told him to go to his sheriffs website. He downloaded the form on a Fri , took it in Mon , and walked out with his license in about 15min. No check card.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

Default Re: 15min LTCF in Carbon!

Sounds like Carbon has their act together... exactly the way this should be done.

Montgomery, apparently, is the only county with that stupid police check card thing.

Although Philly does some illegal stuff with their process.

After looking at the Carbon sheriff's website, the only thing I see that needs corrected there is:

"2 REFERENCES THAT RESIDE IN CARBON COUNTY REQUIRED".

There is no legal requirement for the references to live in the same county as the LTCF applicant.
    Last edited by HiredGoon; January 6th, 2012 at 11:29 PM.

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

I had to make a second trip, but that was only because the state computer system was down and I didn't call ahead to check. Needless to say it took me 15 to 20 minutes as well when the computers were working. The only potential hang-up that the Carbon county sheriff has is that they want your references to be residents of Carbon County. Fortunately, one of my daughters has friends with parents who hunt, so they understood the process and helped me out.

My only gripe is that the sheriff deferred fingerprinting me to Fern Ridge State Police (my local police), claiming that it is their responsibility. Fern Ridge then declined to fingerprint me as they claimed that a Virginia carry permit was not valid in Pennsylvania. They were sounding ready to accomidate me until they found out it was for a carry permit.
    ...and they have a plan...

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    Sounds like Carbon has their act together... exactly the way this should be done.

Montgomery, apparently, is the only county with that stupid police check card thing.

Although Philly does some illegal stuff with their process.

After looking at the Carbon sheriff's website, the only thing I see that needs corrected there is:

"2 REFERENCES THAT RESIDE IN CARBON COUNTY REQUIRED".

There is no legal requirement for the references to live in the same county as the LTCF applicant.
    when i did mine a couple of years ago i had references from another county on there. the deputy wouldnt accept it until i put down 2 in county residents. 15 minutes later i walked out with it

(Carbon County)

I have had mine for about 6 or 7 years now. When I went in the first time, it took me 25 mins because they wouldn't accept a reference from Hazleton. We debated for a few minutes about whether the law requires same county references. When my wife got hers, she was in and out in 20 mins. My renewal only took me 15 mins.
    If zombies start chasing us, I'm going to trip you!

(Carbon County)

I renewed my LTCF there in Carbon on Wednesday. I parked up on Broadway a little more than a half a block away. I was back in my vehicle in 12 minutes. I bet the walk and security check took about as long as the actual renewal.

I ended up wasting a quarter in the meter, as it turned out there was plenty of time when I pulled in.

(Bucks County)

Bucks is easy too...took us 30 minutes for both of us to get ours....that included getting a photo taken. References were not specified as to where they had to live.
    "Stupid people are ruining America." --Herman Cain

(Carbon County)

How do they check your 2 references in under 15 minutes? Do I need to make sure my references are available by phone when I go to apply?

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by BrotPXI View Post
    How do they check your 2 references in under 15 minutes? Do I need to make sure my references are available by phone when I go to apply?
    I'm willing to bet they don't even bother doing anything other then looking at the address.

Most counties are known for not calling references, as it should be since they aren't even a requirement by law.