Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Pike County)

Default Night sights for my M&P 9.

I lost one of the white dots on my M&P 9 last time I went shooting so I have decided it's the best time to upgrade to night sights. So what brand would you guys recommend? Price? Also if you could recommend a gunsmith to install them in the area that would be helpful. I am going to check out the place where I got the pistol FFL'ed and see if they can do the work. My last question would be what's a fair price for the installation? Thanks.
    Sanity, yours if you can keep it.....

(Chester County)

Default Re: Night sights for my M&P 9.

I think TruGlo Tritium F/O are the best around. The fiber optics make them glow bright green during the day and the tritium makes them glow bright green at night. Also, no white circle rim, so your dots are the same size during the day as at night. They also come with a green rear/yellow front configuration if you think that would be useful.

(Lehigh County)

I have a pair of met pros on my kimber that I like that being said I just ordered a pair of the tfo sights mentioned above, for my glock 22. I ordered the green front yellow back. I would think 20-25 for install would be fine I'll let your know next week.

I have a set of Trijicon Hard Duty night sights on my Sig P226 and they are the easiest to see and acquire of any that I've used so far. Pricey, but definitely worth it. $140 per set.
    The M1. Smackin' the bastards since 1932.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by TheWolff View Post
    I think TruGlo Tritium F/O are the best around. The fiber optics make them glow bright green during the day and the tritium makes them glow bright green at night. Also, no white circle rim, so your dots are the same size during the day as at night. They also come with a green rear/yellow front configuration if you think that would be useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by CartBone69 View Post
    I have a pair of met pros on my kimber that I like that being said I just ordered a pair of the tfo sights mentioned above, for my glock 22. I ordered the green front yellow back. I would think 20-25 for install would be fine I'll let your know next week.
    Gentlemen, thanks for the suggestion. I looked online and assume this is the model you're talking about: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/470...er-optic-green. Cart also let me know about the install. If you're in the area would you mind sharing the gunsmith with me?

Quote Originally Posted by SCBaldr View Post
    I have a set of Trijicon Hard Duty night sights on my Sig P226 and they are the easiest to see and acquire of any that I've used so far. Pricey, but definitely worth it. $140 per set.
    I was looking to Trijicon since they have a great reputation for optics, I saw a set online for the M&P for $123. It's pricey but in this case I would spend the money.

(Chester County)

Yes, those are the sights. I tried to get my front sight off but failed miserably. I took the gun and sights to Kings Shooter's Supply and they put them on for $30. Since they have fiber optics and tritium vials, you don't want to be beating them with a hammer+punch. You really should use a sight pusher (check youtube for videos of them in action). If you have one (or can find a member around you who does), you could try it yourself. If you think you'll be doing 6 or 7 sets of sites eventually, it would be worth buying one yourself. If you don't think you'll do many, it'd be best to find someone with one, or have a smith do it.

(Pike County)

Yes, those are the sights. I tried to get my front sight off but failed miserably. I took the gun and sights to Kings Shooter's Supply and they put them on for $30. Since they have fiber optics and tritium vials, you don't want to be beating them with a hammer+punch. You really should use a sight pusher (check youtube for videos of them in action). If you have one (or can find a member around you who does), you could try it yourself. If you think you'll be doing 6 or 7 sets of sites eventually, it would be worth buying one yourself. If you don't think you'll do many, it'd be best to find someone with one, or have a smith do it.
    I know I talk a big game here but I am still a newb and fear pounding on my pistol, I am also worried about losing zero on the pistol when I do this. So a professional will do the work. King Shooter Supply seems to be down by Philly so I have to find someone a bit closer. Also I have to ask how do these sights glow? I assume it's some sort of chemical reaction that requires light to get started. If my pistol spends most of it's time in a draw, only coming out once a month on average will the sights work when I need them the most?

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by LifeInPa View Post
    Also I have to ask how do these sights glow? I assume it's some sort of chemical reaction that requires light to get started. If my pistol spends most of it's time in a draw, only coming out once a month on average will the sights work when I need them the most?
    These are tritium sights that will glow for 10-12 years. Tritium is a radioactive element that releases light as it decomposes (as I understand it). It does not need to be "activated" by light to start to glow. It just does.

(Pike County)

These are tritium sights that will glow for 10-12 years. Tritium is a radioactive element that releases light as it decomposes (as I understand it). It does not need to be "activated" by light to start to glow. It just does.
    I missed that, thanks.

(Lehigh County)

Here is the back story. In October i went to the Handgunner in topton, pa and asked Randy (the owner) about ordering the TFO night sights he said sure but it may take a while they have been pretty slow about getting them to him. He said the price would be about $100. So i kept calling every couple of weeks and they weren't coming in. So i called sometime in mid December and he told me they still haven't come in that if i can get them somewhere else buy them and bring them in and he can install them for me. So i went in on the Friday before new years (i had the day off of work) to see if they came in and also see what else they had. They still didn't get them in. So i ordered them from Amazon.com on Monday and they just came in the mail today. So i took them down to Randy to have them put in. It took maybe 10 minutes or so and the guy brought the gun out and said here you go didn't even tell me how much i owed. So i said to him "how much do i owe" he looked at me tilted his head from side to side and said $5 bucks! So the install cost me $5 bucks.

First impression on the TFO sights are they are pretty nice sights. They are easier to see in the day time then my Metpros that are on my Kimber and in a dark room with no lights or windows they seem to glow about the same maybe a little brighter then the metpros and those metpros are from 2004 so they are 8 years old. The only thing that i am worried about with the TFO front sight is pretty long and the clearance of the holster rubbing on the front sight. But we will see how it works out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast