Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Berks County)

Default Re: Night sights for my M&P 9.

I have the AmeriGlo PRO iDot sights on my M&P, love the two dot design.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by keystoneman 85 View Post
    I have the AmeriGlo PRO iDot sights on my M&P, love the two dot design.

My suggestion as well. Great set of sights.

The TFO's have a record of breaking a good bit. I heard they changed their design within the last year but I am not sure I would be willing to test them out.
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

(Allegheny County)

I tried AmeriGlo night sights on my M&P, and it didn't work out at all. The rear sight was so loose in the dovetail that I could push it in and out with my fingers. They sent me a replacement, and it was exactly the same.

They claimed the problem is that there is too much variance in the dovetail dimensions from S&W, but I kind of have trouble buying that given that I have Trijicon sights on both of my M&Ps that are just right.
    "There are four boxes to use in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo. Use in that order."

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by eXceLon View Post
    I tried AmeriGlo night sights on my M&P, and it didn't work out at all. The rear sight was so loose in the dovetail that I could push it in and out with my fingers. They sent me a replacement, and it was exactly the same.

They claimed the problem is that there is too much variance in the dovetail dimensions from S&W, but I kind of have trouble buying that given that I have Trijicon sights on both of my M&Ps that are just right.
    FWIW my oversized Ameriglo front self ejected from one of my M&P's. There was apparently a dovetail size issue a while back. There is an armorers bulletin for a "unit armorer level fix" but S&W is replacing mine.
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    FWIW my oversized Ameriglo front self ejected from one of my M&P's. There was apparently a dovetail size issue a while back. There is an armorers bulletin for a "unit armorer level fix" but S&W is replacing mine.
    You mean replacing the slide?

The front sights were actually fine (both Trijicon and AmeriGlo) but every rear-sight they sent would fall right out.
    "There are four boxes to use in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo. Use in that order."

(Allegheny County)

Yes, the slide.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Yes, the slide.
    If I can convince them to send me a new slide because of that, it might be worth a shot. Can you PM and/or email me with the details of the process you went through?

I really liked the AmeriGlo sights in theory, but obviously I can't deal with sights that fall off.

(Pike County)

Some great information here, thanks for posting everyone. My M&P isn't just a plinking pistol but a pistol that might someday be called upon to protect myself and my family. So I demand the best in quality, durability and reliability. I have a TruGlo red dot for my .22LR and it doesn't inspire confidence, in fact I plan on replacing it soon. So it seems like if I want the best I need to pony up for the Trijicon sights. Unless anyone has found issues with these sights?

Also I am still researching a quality gunsmith in my area to do the work, any suggestions? The place where I FFL'ed the pistol sends their firearms out and I don't think it's worth my time/money for a relatively simple modification.
    Sanity, yours if you can keep it.....

(Allegheny County)

My Warren sights on all 4 of my M&P's actually needed fitting in order to install the rear sights. Two of them required only a few strokes with my diamond hone on the bottom of the sight and two of them required a significant amount of fitting. I suspect Warren makes their sights on the larger side of the spec to prevent loose sights.

Also if it hasn't been mentioned yet, you absolutely want to use a sight pusher to move the front sight on these. While M&P's sometimes have a looser fitting factory rear sight, all of mine have had a very tight fitting front sight. You need the tight fit for the front sight as friction is the only thing holding it in. Removing/installing the front sight with a punch will not be a fun experience.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by afultz075 View Post
    My Warren sights on all 4 of my M&P's actually needed fitting in order to install the rear sights. Two of them required only a few strokes with my diamond hone on the bottom of the sight and two of them required a significant amount of fitting. I suspect Warren makes their sights on the larger side of the spec to prevent loose sights.

Also if it hasn't been mentioned yet, you absolutely want to use a sight pusher to move the front sight on these. While M&P's sometimes have a looser fitting factory rear sight, all of mine have had a very tight fitting front sight. You need the tight fit for the front sight as friction is the only thing holding it in. Removing/installing the front sight with a punch will not be a fun experience.
    That's why I need a gunsmith, I don't want to go through all that and worry that my pistol lost zero.
    Sanity, yours if you can keep it.....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123