Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
    (Lebanon County)

Default AR pistol questions for PA??!

I'm trying to find out any information possible on an ar pistol, I'd like to know if I could purchase a pistol lower and have it registered as a pistol w/o going through the atf run around..

I understand that I can't have a buttstock or forward grip on it.. But I'm really jonesing for an adams arms 7.5" tactical elite upper, but I personally dont want to wait and atf reg. a lower and go theough all that stuff that i have no idea how to go about..!

So the question is can i go to a local gunstore, have them recieve a pistol lower or even just purchase a pistol lower? fill out the normal paperwork and go about my business with a lower half registered pistol that dosn't work, then have them recieve my adams arms upper and i could slap it together and do work?!?

Please any input would be great

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: AR pistol questions for PA??!

purchase a pistol lower or just a stripped lower and do the pistol paperwork. add your pistol upper and there you go, done. no stock or forward grip, no special paper needed.

(Lebanon County)

So all i gotta do is scoop a lower.. Register it as a pistol like buyin a handgun from shydas, then just buy and install my upper then im not breakin any laws..!?

Quote Originally Posted by M2tactical View Post
    So all i gotta do is scoop a lower.. Register it as a pistol like buyin a handgun from shydas, then just buy and install my upper then im not breakin any laws..!?
    Federal law (as recently magically re-made by ATF) does not allow you to take a rifle lower and strip it down and then assemble a pistol, not without complying with the NFA. It would be a short-barreled rifle, even without a buttstock.

You may, however, use a virgin lower that has never been assembled as anything, and make a pistol out of it, for your personal use. There's no "registering" required, you don't need to have an FFL transfer it "as a pistol", because a virgin lower is not a pistol.

You may also purchase an assembled pistol, make it a rifle, and then put it back into pistol configuration, according to ATF in 2011. Whether you can take a virgin lower, make it a pistol first, then make it a rifle, then make it back into a pistol, is an unaddressed question. But a lower that left the factory as part of a pistol, that is covered under the 2011 ruling.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Lehigh County)

i bought one of the PSA lowers and had it shipped to Boyers. he asked what i was going to build and i said a pistol, he got out another form, filled it out and said i was good to go, didn't charge any more than a regular transfer, just 1 more form.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by tonyfac View Post
    i bought one of the PSA lowers and had it shipped to Boyers. he asked what i was going to build and i said a pistol, he got out another form, filled it out and said i was good to go, didn't charge any more than a regular transfer, just 1 more form.
    Your FFL probably had you fill out the PSP Form SP4-113. HE SHOULD NOT HAVE. The SP4-113 (in the scenerio we are talking about here) would ONLY be filled out if you bought a COMPLETE AR pistol. The virgin lower is neither a pistol nor a rifle. You only fill out the 4473, it does not matter what you are going to build (other than a SBR, then other paperwork comes into play). Even if you were to buy 2 or more lowers at the same time, the FFL DOES NOT fill out the Multiple Handgun sales paperwork (because they are not handguns).
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Lebanon County)

Talking Re: AR pistol questions for PA??!

So im lost as all hell... this is why i didnt wanna do the sbr thing, im too stupid to grasp things quickly! Thanx for all the words, now i need the picture colored in too ya know so i can see it

(Centre County)

M2Tactical, I sent you a PM, I hope it will clear everything up.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Lebanon County)

It did! thank you sir.. Once I learn how to use the rep Your getting some

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    You may also purchase an assembled pistol, make it a rifle, and then put it back into pistol configuration, according to ATF in 2011. Whether you can take a virgin lower, make it a pistol first, then make it a rifle, then make it back into a pistol, is an unaddressed question. But a lower that left the factory as part of a pistol, that is covered under the 2011 ruling.
    Would a pistol-marked assembled lower (http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.c...ategory_id=235) transferred with the PSP Form SP4-113 be sufficient to explicitly qualify?
    Last edited by -JD-; January 7th, 2012 at 11:24 PM.
    Keep perspective, recognize the good in your enemies and the bad in your friends.
    "--you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him." - Robert A. Heinlein, Revolt in 2100

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast