Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Westmoreland County)

Default US Congress Candidate Judge Jimmie Moore calls for National Guard in Philly

http://www.jimmiemoore.com/press-releases

Enough is Enough: Call in the Guard

January 31, 2012 The murder rate in this city has reached epidemic proportions. Our local law enforcement agencies are stretched to the limit, and that is why I am calling for the support of the National Guard to support the brave men and women of the Philadelphia Police Department in their efforts to not only respond to but also prevent the record levels of violent crime spreading across the city and leading to a state of emergency.

http://www.jimmiemoore.com/issues

<snip>
    A federal law requiring gun owners to report the loss or theft of a firearm, with harsh penalties for those who fail to report and whose firearms are subsequently used in a crime, will go a long way in stopping illegal transfers to family and friends. Such a law will also allow law enforcement officers to detect and investigate suspicious patterns of lost and/or stolen weapons.
    I Dial 1911

Default Re: US Congress Candidate Judge Jimmie Moore calls for National Guard in Philly

I'm definately against bringing in the NG for routine law enforcement. I understand it for a period of emergency due to severe civil unrest or natural catastrophy but placing military personnel on patrol of the streets to augment normal police juristiction is a dangerous idea.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: US Congress Candidate Judge Jimmie Moore calls for National Guard in Philly

Very bad move if they do it, the duty and responsibility of the PPD is to enforce the laws not the ARNG. You can't fix what is broke by calling in the guard. They should sack the idiots that let it get that bad and hire someone who can actually fix things. Just another politician running his mouth.

(Westmoreland County)

A State of Emergency restricts/suspends gun rights, correct? (Need a citation, don't want to state 'fact' I can't source)

If so, a long term State of Emergency can be used to suspend gun owners' rights and not so far from large scale confiscation? What a way to implement a city wide disarming
    I Dial 1911

(Dauphin County)

They could try actually punishing people convicted of crimes first, to see if it might have some deterrent effect.
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by PreserveandProtect View Post
    A State of Emergency restricts/suspends gun rights, correct? (Need a citation, don't want to state 'fact' I can't source)

If so, a long term State of Emergency can be used to suspend gun owners' rights and not so far from large scale confiscation? What a way to implement a city wide disarming
    Perhaps you're thinking of 18 Pa.C.S. § 6107: Prohibited conduct during emergency
    (a) General rule.--No person shall carry a firearm upon the public streets or upon any public property during an emergency...[unless actively defending or licensed to carry]
    Section (b) of that statute expressly prohibits confiscation of firearms when such confiscation would not already be legal absent the state of emergency.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(Indiana County)

The Dumbocrat may propose anything he wants, but both the Governor and Mayor have the final say, not some Congressman Wannabe.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by twency View Post
    Perhaps you're thinking of 18 Pa.C.S. § 6107: Prohibited conduct during emergency Section (b) of that statute expressly prohibits confiscation of firearms when such confiscation would not already be legal absent the state of emergency.
    Yes, that's it. Thanks for both points!
    I Dial 1911

(Lehigh County)

A federal law requiring gun owners to report the loss or theft of a firearm, with harsh penalties for those who fail to report and whose firearms are subsequently used in a crime, will go a long way in stopping illegal transfers to family and friends. Such a law will also allow law enforcement officers to detect and investigate suspicious patterns of lost and/or stolen weapons.
    I'd love to know how he plans on charging someone who sold/transferred a firearm illegally with the act of losing a firearm, since those two actions are distinctly unique and not the same thing.

I was forward this recently, in regards to lost & stolen.

"Former prosecutor C.D. Michel analyzed this problem at length, and his analysis sheds more light on the reluctance of the Pennsylvania District Attorneys Association to back this legislation:

Ironically, the ordinance cannot be used against the real bad guys. No law can compel lawbreakers to report themselves. So a straw purchaser who legally buys a gun cannot be compelled to report that he resold it illegally. And since it wasn’t actually lost or stolen, he hasn’t violated the ordinance. Similarly, if a felon prohibited from possessing a gun illegally possesses one anyway, and it is lost or stolen, he can be prosecuted for having the gun in the first place, but cannot be prosecuted for failing to incriminate himself by reporting the loss."