Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is this normal

(Lehigh County)

Default Is this normal

I'm new to reloading very new. I started out only reloading 6 9mm to test at the range. Berry's 115 gr plated RN .556",Winchester 231 at 4.3 grs.AOL at 1.1450 to 1.1500,cci#500 primer,mixed brass. I used my SA 9mm SC 3" the thing is the recoil was twice that of factory rounds is this normal.

(Susquehanna County)

Default Re: Is this normal

I don't see anything wrong with your powder charge weight. But the reference I'm looking at right now shows you're loading a little long. COAL is shown as 1.100" for a 115 gr. Lead Round Nose.

Plated bullets should use about the same load data as cast lead so your 4.3 grs of W231 is about right for a starting load.

Double check by going to Hodgdon powder's website and check into their reloading data.

Can't account for your perceived increase in recoil. I suggest you double check your powder weights at your next loading session.

If you are using a "balance beam" scale, recheck your scale setting and be sure the poises are set properly, check to make sure it is set level also. Set the scale in place and with only the pan in place and the poises set at zero make sure the scale reads zero. Use the adjusting foot to make corrections.

If you're using a digital scale, follow the directions and go through the calibration routine, double check to make sure you are reading grains not grams. Make sure your scale zeros when the pan is in place.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Lehigh County)

Well i found out my digital scale was a POS and way off so i picked up a RCBS 502 and what a difference. I'll never try to cut corners buying cheap again. By the way don't ever buy a smartreloader scale from cabelas.

(Susquehanna County)

Perhaps you should spell out some of the details.

For example if you try weighing one of your 115 gr bullets on both scales (after being certain of calibration and leveling for both) what are the measurements?

Then try something light, throw a powder charge and weigh on both scales. What are the measurements?

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

My point, exactly. There just is no substitute for a good balance. Electronic scales are subject to a series of difficulties that are just non-issues for balance-types. But they can be quicker.

Having a super-reliable balance to use, at least for reference and cross-check is almost a necessity.

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

(Lehigh County)

After calibration on both scales, 115 gr bullet smartreloader scale 86.5gr,RCBS 115gr, powder RCBS 4.3gr smartreloader 1.5gr. lucky i still have a gun and fingers.

(Clarion County)

Quote Originally Posted by spentshells2 View Post
    After calibration on both scales, 115 gr bullet SMARTRELOADER SCALE 86.5GR,RCBS 115GR, POWDER RCBS 4.3GR SMARTRELOADER 1.5GR. lucky i still have a gun and fingers.
    Excuse me but are you concluding the original scale (smartloader) was throwing a heavy charge, or just off the wall charge that it's hard to tell what it was? How did those primers look from the fired cases? Whenever in doubt I stop and investigate until certain what's going on. Hang one of those cases somewhere where you can see it when you reload as a reminder. Here's mine:

EDIT: walked away and it hit me that a 4.3gr on the original scale would of been very high. Which begs the question of how full were the cases with powder? Throw a 4.3 gr on the smartloader and check it with the RCBS. Inquiring minds want to know.
    Last edited by cephas; January 8th, 2012 at 02:58 PM. Reason: brain fart
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Lehigh County)

With the smartreloader scale the case was very full. I just reloaded 10 and the charge was 1/2 with the RCBS scale. As for finding the case after shooting it there was so much brass at the range it was hard to locate even with my son watching. I did pick up all the 9mm brass i could and looked at all the primers and didn't see anything out of the norm.

(Somerset County)

Cabela's has good customer service, contact them about your scale's performance.

For handguns, I try use a powder that if I accidentally throw a double charge, it will overflow or nearly overflow the case. Then it is obvious that something ain't right when I visually check the cases in the block before seating the bullets. I also check my balance (a Lyman) against a several bullets once in a while. It's not the same as a check weight but close enough.

Glad you are OK. It could have been a nasty experience.

Dale

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by spentshells2 View Post
    After calibration on both scales, 115 gr bullet smartreloader scale 86.5gr,RCBS 115gr, powder RCBS 4.3gr smartreloader 1.5gr. lucky i still have a gun and fingers.
    So a powder charge weighing 4.3 grs. on your beam scale registers 1.5 gr. on your digital scale. So you would have been throwing roughly 7.1 grains or damn near a 100% overcharge!

Personally, I think I would be on the phone with Cabela's asap! If for no other reason than to warn them and their other customers that something is seriously wrong!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast