Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Installed scope rings without LocTite: big deal or no?

I installed my scope (SWFA SS HD 1-4x w/ Bobro mount) a few months ago, and I recently came across the suggestion to LocTite the ring screws. Problem is, since the scope's already installed, I don't want to take the screws out, LocTite them, and then reinstall because I don't want to offset the scope, torque it, or lose zero. Just don't feel like putting the time in again on these stupid downward-facing screws.

Is there any solution for already-installed screws? I know many suggest using acetone on the threads before installation. Would simply pouring some on the holes, allowing it to seep down the screw into the threads, and tightening be fine?

Or is it no big deal at all?
    Slaves don't own arms; free men do.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Installed scope rings without LocTite: big deal or no?

I had to use loctite on the rings of my Mini-14. No matter how tight I made them, after about 5 rounds, they'd be loose. If you're going to do it, use Blue Loctite, not Red. Blue can be broken loose by a screw driver, read you'd need to use heat.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Hmph. Do you think taking out one screw, LTing it, putting it back in, and repeating would work without shifting the reticle? 8 screws total, 4 per ring, 2 per ring side. Trying to do whatever I can to keep this bad boy locked in without having to redo it all.

If they're not loosening up on you, I wouldn't worry about it too much. I have lots of rifles with have thousands of rounds through them that were never installed with loctite. They don't loosen up and work perfectly. So if they're ok now, I'd just leave them alone. If you notice that they're loosening up, then it's something that you probably want to remedy. In that case, it's just a matter of time before they back out all the way, and you'll have to put the time in to get everything right on your optic. So if you notice them loosening up, back them out, BLUE loctite, and no more worries. As streaker said, I'd go with blue instead of red. There's actually TONS of colors of loctite for different uses and strength to break it loose. Blue is easy to find, and works great, so you don't have to go to the trouble to find any other colors.

Yeah, didn't come loose over the course of 110 rounds. Knowing that it's not mandatory and has to be judged on empirical performance, I'm probably just going to drip some Eezox on the screws, let it soak down, and give 'em a little bit more tightening for some added insurance. I'll probably skip on the Loctite.

Thanks guys.

Also, have you guys ever used loctite on already-assembled screws? Thinking of possibly dripping some purple down them instead of Eezox.

(Somerset County)

I wouldn't worry about it. I've got a 358, the scope has been on since the mid 80's and no problems.

If you want a bit of added insurance anyhow, put some clear finger nail polish on the screwhead as it sits. No need to remove the screws, just put a dab on it.

Dale

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

I wouldn't put Eezox on it; even if it did penetrate, it wouldn't help, might hurt. LocTite won't work at all unless you apply it directly to the threads. You've got a great chance of holding zero if you remove one screw at a time and LocTite them, and that's the only way you'll be sure they'll stay tight.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by dk99358 View Post
    I wouldn't worry about it. I've got a 358, the scope has been on since the mid 80's and no problems.

If you want a bit of added insurance anyhow, put some clear finger nail polish on the screwhead as it sits. No need to remove the screws, just put a dab on it.

Dale
    +1 for the nail polish. You might be able to get black nail polish if you can find out where the goth girls shop.

Remember, all you are doing is trying to keep the screws from vibrating loose, so it doesn't take much.

If you do decide to use locktite, I would suggest you pull all the screws in one ring out at once and then retorque them in a star pattern a little at a time. I think (don't know for a fact) you will get more consistent torque values. The amount of zero shift should still be negligible and one trip to the range will allow you to re-zero quickly (probably no more than a few clicks).

That's my opinion.

If it's not broken, don't fix it, but if you need to fix it, do it the right way the first time or you will be doing it again and again.

(Philadelphia County)

I use clear nail polish. I wipe off the excess and the polish remains around the head of the screw securing it.
    NRA Certified Instructor Pistol & Shotgun

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast