Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sig Mosquito

(Bucks County)

Default Sig Mosquito

Hub bought a used Sig Mosquito last night at Tanners for $199. Good shape, looked nice and clean...and we cleaned it again last night.

Took it today and started out with Blazer ammo and it did fairly poorly.... 5-6 FTL or FTF out of 100. Thought about taking it back and getting the new Ruger, but that's $150 more that we could use to buy the boys a .22/shotgun combo. So we got a box of mini-mags which I know is recommended for the Sig.... and we had two misfires (early in the box) on that...one was because I had loaded one crooked somehow...and the second was a jam of some sort. But the rest of the box shot fine.

I am finding this is par for this gun, I guess. For a .22 how many misfires would it take for you to get rid of it? I know that for carry weapons or home defense you want virtually none, but I read that the .22's can be finicky. Other than the misfires, it shoots nice and feels nice, and we like how it is very similar to the higher caliber pistols, in feel and mechanism, for target practice.

I figure, too, there's really no reviews out yet on the new Ruger so there's no way of knowing it would be better enough to be worth the extra $150...although Ruger is awesome....

(Chester County)

Default Re: Sig Mosquito

I had a sig mosquito a couple years ago and mine seemed to run just fine AFTER about 500 rounds through it. Prior to the breakin I would have approx 1 or 2 failures per magazine. It got very annoying. Mine tended to like the mini mags, but I have noticed with all of my 22LR pistols & rifles that they all seem to like something different.

Try as many different types of ammo as you can find and sooner or later you will find one that the Sig likes.
    If you're not outraged & disgusted, you are simply not paying atttention

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Minor Threat View Post
    I had a sig mosquito a couple years ago and mine seemed to run just fine AFTER about 500 rounds through it. Prior to the breakin I would have approx 1 or 2 failures per magazine. It got very annoying. Mine tended to like the mini mags, but I have noticed with all of my 22LR pistols & rifles that they all seem to like something different.

Try as many different types of ammo as you can find and sooner or later you will find one that the Sig likes.
    Thanks! Its a good shooter when its shooting reliably...we were about ready to just give it up but it improved with the mini's, so we'll just keep working with it.

Not sure how much it was shot before we got it, but it looked really nice so I don't think it had heavy use.

(Chester County)

The key is finding what it likes best. I have at least a dozen different boxes of 22LR because (lucky me) all of my 22LR's seem to like something different.

Once you find the one brand/load that mosquito likes, then buy a few bricks

Otherwise, stick to the 50 round boxes and keep experimenting
    If you're not outraged & disgusted, you are simply not paying atttention

(Philadelphia County)

The only thing that 99% of Sig Mosquito will eat reliably is CCI Mini-mag. I've experimented with a bunch of different ones, none that can be close to Mini-mag in term of reliability.

What you should consider to use this for is actually malfunction drill. Randomly load one or a few non-Mini-mag round in the magazine and have fun with tap/rack/bang.

Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by mythaeus View Post
    The only thing that 99% of Sig Mosquito will eat reliably is CCI Mini-mag. I've experimented with a bunch of different ones, none that can be close to Mini-mag in term of reliability.

What you should consider to use this for is actually malfunction drill. Randomly load one or a few non-Mini-mag round in the magazine and have fun with tap/rack/bang.

Al
    True. My husband always clears the jams...I haven't done that yet and need to.

Our Llama occasionally jams....so far our two 9mm have not.

(Montgomery County)

The Rugers typically will shoot anything you put in it. Seems most of the other 22s out there have their likes and dislikes with ammo..

My MP15-22 likes Blazer, cci mini mags and a few others. The walmart cheap stuff it doesn't like. Go figure..

I'll just sometimes suffer through it.. Depends if I am shooting for fun or a match. For fun I don't mind the occasional hiccups.

Let the gun get dirty and see if it improves. You mentioned that you cleaned it before heading to the range. This is another clip vs mag argument to a smaller degree on cleaning your guns, LoL.. I vote, try running more ammo through it and see if it improves.

Some of mine will improve in shooting the "dirtier" it gets. I'm now mixed on how often to clean my guns. I used to clean it after every trip to the range. Then it went to only cleaning before a match. That doesn't mean I don't check the gun and check for worn/broken parts. But instead of the full tear down and patches etc.. I just run a bore snake through the barrel.
    The problem with shooting Chinese bullets is 15 minutes later you wanna shoot again.

(York County)

I had luck with Remington Thunderbolt in my Mosquito, Winchester bulk pack .22 on the other hand was jam-o-matic

(Bucks County)

I've shot probably around 500 rounds out of my Browning Buckmark, including subsonics, cci standard velocity, mini mags, winchester bulk pack, and federal bulk pack without a single malfunction. The Sig looks cool and I almost bought one for that reason, but I'm glad I decided on the Buckmark instead which gave me 100% reliable performance.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by mythaeus View Post

Al
    I guess that I'm one of the 1% (don't tell Occupy SIG). My Mosquito functions best with CCI standard velocity. It will run mini mags with only a few hang ups (mostly FTEs), but when I tried standard velocity CCI, it just kept firing and firing without any problems. I've tried mini mags since then, other standard velocity rounds like Remington, and Thunderbolts and the rest. The only round my Mosquito shoots consistently without problems is CCI standard velocity. Go figure.
    Know your audience. Don't try to sell a Prius at a Monster Truck Rally.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast