Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default best quality colt

Within the next year I will likely purchase my first 1911 (was supposed to be my first gun and 7 guns later here we are) I am interested in a pro or ultra kimber however since I think the carry gun corner is covered for now I think i want a plain Jane colt full size. I have a '49 detective special and though it is worn it is a sweet little gun, so I ask what era of colt 1911 will be in a reasonable price range but have that legendary "quality of a colt" I ask because i would just buy a new one bet everyone has something to say about the quality not being what it used to. So when was it?

(Northampton County)

Default Re: best quality colt

You will pay dearly for any older colt especially 70 series pistols in excellent shape. If It was me I would get a Dan Wesson -number one reason no mim parts and they don't come with any crap you don't need. That would be my chioce-Kimbers are nice and so are springfield armory pistols ,god there are many others as well but for the quality of the build and cost I would go Dan Wesson period. Brian / EFR
    www.EastonFirearmsRefinishing.com Owner/Operator, NRA Pistol Instructor

Any of the modern USA or SF built 1911s are good guns. The Dan Wesson is a good one but so is the S&W E series. But here is what the one tmers will tell you niether is a "Colt 1911" there is just something about owning a Colt.

Usually the others will go down in price as they get older but the Colt after years of owning usually goes up in value. I bought my Colt Commander 70 series in 1980s I paid $389 for it I put about $400 worth of work in it and its probbably worth about $900 or more.

I will say out of the box the DWA 1911 $1400 or S&W $800-$1300 will be cheaper and a better shooter because they are alreAdy setup, a old Colt series 70 or 80 will need some comfort features IMHO. Unless you just want to rarely shoot it and collect it, then you can leave it like it is. You can buy a new Colt already setup around the sam money as the Smith.
    Last edited by Neko456; January 11th, 2012 at 11:44 AM.

(York County)

I have to agree with the one poster above on Dan Wessons. If you can find a stainless Dan Wesson CBOB in .45 or 10mm, by all means get it. It truly is top of the pile when it comes to 1911's. I like the CBOB out over a NightHawk even.

As for Colt, I wasn't a true believer until I got my own. I found this 1990 Colt Gold Cup MKIV National Match 1911 online. It looked like sh*t and like it had never been cleaned and stored in some hick's glove box for 20 years. Had broken target sight and cracked wood grips. I gave it a chance at the range, and it fired bullseye even with the broke sight. That was enough for me! I decided to resurrect this Colt from obscurity and neglect. I ordered every part I ever wanted on a 1911, and had a good 1911 gunsmith assemble it and polish it back to new. Now, it's better than ever. A "Keeper". There is no trading this in......this one goes to my son when I DIE.

- The Delta Force
    Last edited by TheDeltaForce; January 11th, 2012 at 11:26 AM.

(Northampton County)

By no means let my post dissuade you form getting a colt if your getting one to collect it for value do so but if your intention is for carry and range use get the Dan Wesson . The Smith E series are well made and I get one of those before a kimber or springfield ,but the Dan Wesson would be my choice of factory made pistols.
    www.EastonFirearmsRefinishing.com Owner/Operator, NRA Pistol Instructor

(Lackawanna County)

i would have liked to see the before pics of that one! turned out great.

(Lackawanna County)

Colt series 70 FTW! If it ain't a colt it's only a copy! Sounds like the OP wants a nice collectible colt that he can shoot occasionally. Finds nice blue or nickel series 70 and you will love it!

(Lackawanna County)

Oh and deltaforce,that is a beautiful colt!

(Lehigh County)

+1 on "if you want a Colt, get a Colt"

I picked up a new Government model in December from Budsgunshop.com, no special features (it does say "100 years of service"). Shoots accurate right out of the box.

I LOVE this pistol. Colt 1911's have their reputation for a reason...

Around the time that Colt introduced the XSE guns they transitioned to CNC machines. Prior to the transition to CNC it took a room full of machines that each performed one, maybe two machining steps. It took a room full of qualified machinists to run those machines and those machines were getting pretty old so they tended to hold looser tolerances. I bought one of the first CNC guns, a Combat Elite. It's beautiful, reliable, and accurate. It's my EDC except when I'm doing chores, then I'll wear the P229. (mostly because I don't carry concealed and the Sig's finish will take anything.)

2011 is the anniversary yeary, so I'd find myself a 2011 model Colt.

Here's my Combat Elite,

That said, just bought my brother a Springfield Range Office for xmas. Beautiful workmanship.
    Last edited by ForwardAssist; January 11th, 2012 at 12:10 PM.

"X is what percentage of Y?" Divide the first number by the second, multiply the answer by 100. Add a percent sign. Think.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast