Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Need Your Opinions on Something Stainless

Hey guys and gals I need your opinions. I'm spending time in NJ before going back to school in SC and had to leave all my guns back home in PA after visiting for the holidays. (Living in 3 different states sucks.) I won't be able to get back to SWPA to pick up my guns, so I guess I'm just gonna HAVE to buy something new for home/car protection. Yes, I have my LTCF, but this gun doesn't have to be easily concealed.

Anyway, I'm thinking stainless and flashy and would like to know what your favorite models are. I'm open to any semi's in 9 or 45 and any revolver in .357 mag or bigger. I'd like to keep it on the cheaper side so I can still have money left to buy the Sig556 I've been wanting.

Thanks in advance.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Need Your Opinions on Something Stainless

Quote Originally Posted by Rydyth View Post
    Hey guys and gals I need your opinions. I'm spending time in NJ before going back to school in SC and had to leave all my guns back home in PA after visiting for the holidays. (Living in 3 different states sucks.) I won't be able to get back to SWPA to pick up my guns, so I guess I'm just gonna HAVE to buy something new for home/car protection. Yes, I have my LTCF, but this gun doesn't have to be easily concealed.

Anyway, I'm thinking stainless and flashy and would like to know what your favorite models are. I'm open to any semi's in 9 or 45 and any revolver in .357 mag or bigger. I'd like to keep it on the cheaper side so I can still have money left to buy the Sig556 I've been wanting.

Thanks in advance.
    You know PA LTC does not transfer to NJ right? And they don't mess around there when it comes to a loaded firearm in a car. Just asking to make sure, I saw you're from Pitts. area and didn't know how familiar you are with the dirty jersey.

Anyway if you want big and flashy the first thing that comes to mind is a taurus judge. I don't have one but they seem to be pretty popular and, for most models, cheap. The idea of being able to fire .410 buckshot out of a revolver seems pretty cool to me, although as funds are tight not very practical.

(Northampton County)

Also in NJ you need a firearms permit to purchase card that is obtained thru the local pd allow you to purchase so many in a certain time period . I am by no means up on jersey firearms laws. You need to get a copy of NJ firearms laws before you make any purchases .Also beware to transport firearms in NJ you must have ammo locked in one container, mags removed and in another container , and firearm in another with a proper trigger lock ,and having hollow points is illegal and a felony offense I believe. Check NJ laws before you do anything firearm related while in that state.
    www.EastonFirearmsRefinishing.com Owner/Operator, NRA Pistol Instructor

(Berks County)

Smith & Wesson 686, get yourself a used one.

Talking Re: Need Your Opinions on Something Stainless

Shiny and just plain awesome, S&W500.
    I've never shot one but would love to have one some day just for the sheer hell of having it.
    Seeing as that isn't on the caliber list I'd go with a stainless SW1911.

Like the others mentioned, make sure to read up on NJ's laws, PA gun laws do not apply in the Peoples Republic.
    Last edited by Chip W; January 6th, 2012 at 04:41 PM.

(Berks County)

Well you are going to get a lot of opinions .....there are quite a few of those on these boards.

Get a Taurus Tracker .44 in Stainless you can load up with .44 mags or down with .44 specials.

I have a 4" and it is my #1 carry piece ( loaded with .44 specials). Nice practicle pistol. You can use it to hunt,camp,HD/SD and CC. FWIW not that expensive either you can get a new one for @ 400.00.

IMHO ...the Judge/Govenor is a niche pistol that fits well for a nightstand "get off me gun" but really doesn't shine anywhere else.
    Last edited by Zeke2A; January 6th, 2012 at 04:50 PM.
    Fortuna audaces iuvat
    "Who is John Galt?"
    Deus Vult

Quote Originally Posted by silkworm View Post
    You know PA LTC does not transfer to NJ right? And they don't mess around there when it comes to a loaded firearm in a car.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ahearn View Post
    Check NJ laws before you do anything firearm related while in that state.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chip W View Post
    Like the others mentioned, make sure to read up on NJ's laws, PA gun laws do not apply in the Peoples Republic.
    Thank you all for your concern. I have become familiar with the NJ laws simply because I spend many/most holidays and summers there. (My girlfriend lives in NJ.) That is the reason I left ALL of my guns and ALL of my ammo in PA because I didn't want to risk anything after reading a few of the horror stories circulating around here.

I'll drive through PA to get back to SC, so I'll purchase it then. And actually, I've been working with the local gun shop at school because according to the ATF full time students are considered residents of SC. They talked to their ATF contact and it was decided that I can buy a handgun in SC even though I have PA Residency.
    Last edited by Rydyth; January 6th, 2012 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Adding the location of purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by silkworm View Post
    Anyway if you want big and flashy the first thing that comes to mind is a taurus judge. I don't have one but they seem to be pretty popular and, for most models, cheap. The idea of being able to fire .410 buckshot out of a revolver seems pretty cool to me, although as funds are tight not very practical.
    Quote Originally Posted by keystoneman 85 View Post
    Smith & Wesson 686, get yourself a used one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chip W View Post
    Shiny and just plain awesome, S&W500.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeke2A View Post
    Well you are going to get a lot of opinions .....there are quite a few of those on these boards.

Get a Taurus Tracker .44 in Stainless you can load up with .44 mags or down with .44 specials.

I have a 4" and it is my #1 carry piece ( loaded with .44 specials). Nice practicle pistol. You can use it to hunt,camp,HD/SD and CC. FWIW not that expensive either you can get a new one for @ 400.00.

IMHO ...the Judge/Govenor is a niche pistol that fits well for a nightstand "get off me gun" but really doesn't shine anywhere else.

These are good suggestions! Thank you! I probably would buy a S&W Governor if they made one in stainless. I emailed S&W about it a few months ago and they said it depended on demand. Well, no luck yet.

I've considered the S&W 500 in 4" but don't know that I want to spend $3/round, even though it might be totally worth it Plus I'll never be able to carry it if I decide to do that.

I'll look into the Taurus Tracker more now. I don't like their semi's but their revolvers seem pretty good.

The 686 suggestion is also a good one. I like revolvers with bigger grips. Can't stand the look or feel of the thin, wood grips on many older styles.
    Last edited by Rydyth; January 7th, 2012 at 02:54 AM.

(Cumberland County)

Cool Re: Need Your Opinions on Something Stainless

how about a nice little snubbie in the brand of your choice. .357, concealable, shiny. damn a nice little snubbie sounds petty good to me maybe i should get one. ooops sounds a bit personal don,t it ? my bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Rydyth View Post
    I don't like there semi's but there revolvers seem pretty good.
    That's too bad. The PT 917 is a known to be, super reliable, lightweight, chrome and stainless masterpiece of a handgun that can be carried easily and is very accurate. It has available a 19 rd. mag. with grip extension and accepts Pro Mag 32 rd. magazines. This pistol is the shorter PT 92 Beretta clone that is considered by some people to be better than the Beretta and by a lot of Taurus haters as a very good handgun. If you ever get to shoot one, it will change your mind about Taurus semi's, at least that one.

edit: Waht school in SC lets you yose "there" for their? Just kiden.
    Last edited by harold63; January 6th, 2012 at 09:27 PM.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast