Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lawrence County)

Default LTCW Application Question

I had a general question about applying for a PA LTCW permit. I just turned 21 and for my 21st birthday by dad gave me one of his Ruger Blackhawks. I have had a PA sportsman permit since i turned 18 by the way. I really dont intend to carry the gun concealed but would like the permit for transportation ect.My question is do i need to apply for a LTCF permit in the county in which my "perminant address" is? The county in which my permanent address is in is Lawrence county but for most of the year (11.5 months) I am in centre county where I go to school, have an apartment and work. The only time I go home is for holidays and specials occasians and the courthouse is ussually closed. Since I am still in college and will most likely not live where I am forever I have yet to change my address. Thanks for the help

Default Re: LTCW Application Question

Quote Originally Posted by psucivil View Post
    I had a general question about applying for a PA LTCW permit. I just turned 21 and for my 21st birthday by dad gave me one of his Ruger Blackhawks. I have had a PA sportsman permit since i turned 18 by the way. I really dont intend to carry the gun concealed but would like the permit for transportation ect.My question is do i need to apply for a LTCF permit in the county in which my "perminant address" is? The county in which my permanent address is in is Lawrence county but for most of the year (11.5 months) I am in centre county where I go to school, have an apartment and work. The only time I go home is for holidays and specials occasians and the courthouse is ussually closed. Since I am still in college and will most likely not live where I am forever I have yet to change my address. Thanks for the help
    You could apply at either one. What does your drivers license say? You still should be on winter break, go and apply now.

CL

(Mercer County)

I would use the address on your driver's license. If you move, you will have to call them and inform them. You should private message gnbrotz or IronSight to confirm this, though.

Why don't you consider buying a gun suitable for carry, and carrying it once you get the LTCF?
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

(Delaware County)

The answer is generally yes, you need to apply to the sheriff's department in the county where you have your permanent residence (e.g. where you vote, pay taxes, the address on your PADL, etc.). There may be some loophole that takes into consideration that you reside elsewhere in the state because of college. But, since they will ask for your PADL as ID, if that address is different from the county where you apply, they may not accept the application - a PITA, I know.

BTW, the LTCF "permissions" would supersede and enhance those of the sportsman's permit and afford you more carry and transport options while hunting.

(Lawrence County)

I read over the application instruction and it was vague about apply out of county. My address on my DL is in Lawrence county which is my parents address where i grew up.

I only went home for the christmas weekend im already back at school; when Im not in class I work as much as much as I can. This summer when ever I am working full time and dont have classes and have a little extra cash Im planning on buying either a M&P or an XD to carry. I would have bought myself one now but between christmas gifts, my $4500 tuition bill the $800 I just spent on books for the semester funds are a little low for the time being.

Ok, check this out, you need not apply in person. Fill it out, with a letter explaining you are at PSU, copy of school ID, and see if they will issue a non photo LTCF. Or perhaps, email them a picture. Most folks aren't complete jackasses.

Or, apply there in Centre county. You wouldn't be the first student from another county to apply. Your money goes in their coffers so I doubt they'll turn you down.
    Phone calls and emails my friend, good way to learn stuff. Hell, I would go in person sportsmens permit, hunting license, school ID, rental contract, electric bills, water, sewage etc...the more you have stacked in your favor the better. Gotta try my man, just try.

CL
    Last edited by customloaded; January 6th, 2012 at 02:28 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Looks like you have three possibilities.

1. See if the Centre county Sheriff will process your application.

2. Get it done when you are back home, whenever that is.

3. Change your address to where you live in Centre county.

Centre County LTCF Page:

http://www.co.centre.pa.us/sheriff/l...pplication.asp

Lawrence County LTCF Page:

http://www.co.lawrence.pa.us/sheriff...yMainPage.html

(Lawrence County)

I think what I am going to do is talk to the Centre country Sheriffs office first and see what they say. I can show that I have a residence here, by my lease, and different bills and also my work pay stubs. And see if they will issue and if they wont I will just have to wait until the courthouse back home is open. I really appreciate all the help you guys have gave me.

(Mercer County)

I read over the application instruction and it was vague about apply out of county. My address on my DL is in Lawrence county which is my parents address where i grew up.

I only went home for the christmas weekend im already back at school; when Im not in class I work as much as much as I can. This summer when ever I am working full time and dont have classes and have a little extra cash Im planning on buying either a M&P or an XD to carry. I would have bought myself one now but between christmas gifts, my $4500 tuition bill the $800 I just spent on books for the semester funds are a little low for the time being.
    Fantastic! I know you came here to have a very specific question asnwered, but I strongly encourage you to stick around. Lot's of good information here, and good people as well, for the most part.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

(Lawrence County)

I just sent an email out to the center county sheriffs office asking pretty much the same thing in my opening post (only with better grammar and spelling). I will see if i get an answer from them. I doubt I will today since it is friday but I will keep you posted on what they say.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast