Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default worth fighting this Summary?

Hi,

Got a court summary for using a centerfire rifle in a special regulations area during small game season.

Long story short, bought a .22-250 on weds. (bought the hunting license a few weeks prior), went hunting on saturday, read the small game page the night before to make sure I was legal, and got caught by the PGC on Saturday while walking back to the truck.

My story would be that I now realize I was hunting illegally, but there is nothing on the small game page of the digest that links you to the special regulations page. Yes I know I'm suppose to read the digest front to back, but I didn't.

Is it worth fighting this? this was my first infraction.

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: worth fighting this Summary?

You just admitted you were guilty and you know the saying, "Ignorance of the law is no excuse, unless you're a leo". I'd just pay it and be done unless it came with a license suspension, then maybe plead stupid and hope a judge dismisses it or at least drops the suspension.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by rthompson87 View Post
    Hi,

Got a court summary for using a centerfire rifle in a special regulations area during small game season.

Long story short, bought a .22-250 on weds. (bought the hunting license a few weeks prior), went hunting on saturday, read the small game page the night before to make sure I was legal, and got caught by the PGC on Saturday while walking back to the truck.

My story would be that I now realize I was hunting illegally, but there is nothing on the small game page of the digest that links you to the special regulations page. Yes I know I'm suppose to read the digest front to back, but I didn't.

Is it worth fighting this? this was my first infraction.
    nope, pay it and learn from your mistake. Nobody is going to throw this out
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Jefferson County)

I concur with the above post^^.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Montgomery County)

Go to the court and state your case. Most judges aren't assholes and would understand why you got confused and would make life easier on you. It costs nothing to do (except your time and maybe that requiers time off work) and you will not end up worse off by begging for mercy. Just stick to facts and don't get all whinny about the money. If you admit you were wrong. And ask for whatever liency the judge could possibly see in his wisdom to give you. Well don't be surprised if he dismisses the case entirely. Of course he might not.. But if you don't go he definitely wont

I say go. I don't like these BS regulations in the first place.

(Northampton County)

Depending on the penalty, I'd likely go to court and at least explain that I didn't break the law on purpose. The judge may take pity on you and reduce the penalty. If it's anything like a traffic ticket, it's ABSOLUTELY worth at least showing up. Most people just admit they broke the law and pay up, but that's a pretty ignorant and expensive route to go. I've taken 3 speeding citations to court, and twice I was offered a small fine and no points by the officer before I even walked into the courtroom. The 3rd citation I beat in court and had thrown out. A little work saved me an awful lot of cash in the end.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by exceltoexcel View Post
    Go to the court and state your case. Most judges aren't assholes and would understand why you got confused and would make life easier on you. It costs nothing to do (except your time and maybe that requiers time off work) and you will not end up worse off by begging for mercy. Just stick to facts and don't get all whinny about the money. If you admit you were wrong. And ask for whatever liency the judge could possibly see in his wisdom to give you. Well don't be surprised if he dismisses the case entirely. Of course he might not.. But if you don't go he definitely wont

I say go.
    I agree,don't be whiny,state your case,offer your apologies,hope for leniency.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

(Berks County)

What were you hunting with a 22-250? Just curious ...

(Delaware County)

Go to court, explain your case {new rifle, anxious, read the book but missed it} and understand that in SE PA, special regs area, we had adeer hunter killed over his busck by a CF gun.

Best of luck,
    chalmitch
    "If you believe the term "militia" means the National Guard then you must believe that freedom of speech is reserved for the Government Printing Office." - Some guy, 2/2007