Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lebanon County)

Default Holy 'POOP SKi' ! ! !

Today (it was cold) I took out my H&R .204 Ruger single shot to sight it in. Man was it cold (don't put your tongue on the barrel type of COLD). TWO PICTURES below.

Sand bags out. Single broke to peek down the barrel at 200yds. Make adjustments on crosshairs to line up with 3 inch fluorescent Circle. Chamber one and give it yank. I liked the chambering. It was snug. I haven't miced' the blown out case to compare with factory unfired, but it did not move much. When I roll my own I will only neck size. This H&R may be much better than the YANKER can ever be.

Recoil, like none. Good crack. 1st shot, 3 inches right and 2 inches low. Adjust hairs . I know it is a NO-NO, but IT WAS FRIGGIN" COLD. The book says 3 shots. Shots 2 & 3 cut the bottom of the circle. Adjust up and yank #4, 5 & 6 (OK, I did a threebie, but it is still friggin' cold). You can see the 6 empties in front of the H&R, but there is seven. We will get to that.

Factory ammo, 32gr VMax, freezin my #$$ off----This <$300 .204 is a shooter. OK, let's go back to 300 yds shooting at a 1 inch dot. Laying on ground, very cold ground and at 12X that dot is kinda small. Yank # 7. I hope it is on paper ?? One shot is enough. I am not walking back up this hill with sand bags.

HOLY 'POOPSKi' --- 3 inches low at 300 --- Can't be --- I did have a good hold. Maybe 7" or 5" not 3" ---The ballistic charts say 4 inches and change. I was skeptical. No way, but it matters not. That thing shoots.
    The property where I sight in, I can go back to 500+ safely and give that lil' single a workout. I will do that after my fingers thaw out.

As I walked back to my truck, Man o' Man did the weather warm up real quick.
    fossil
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ImAfossil; January 5th, 2012 at 11:22 PM.
    Do the eyes go first ?????? MAYBE NOT !

(Beaver County)

Default Re: Holy 'POOP SKi' ! ! !

Nice shooting ! Hope you have defrosted. I agree you have a heck of a shooter there.What kind of scope do you have on the H&R?
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

(Lehigh County)

We have something in common,(def. not our ages) although not the .204, the 20g ultra slughunter is one of my favorite guns. I will be cheating on this one a little when I get my Savage 220.
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

(Mercer County)

1. I only neck size in mine, works fine

2. Glad its a shooter after the hype I gave you about mine haha.

and 3. I know this is a given but do not touch that thing off without ear protection, I had a friend out shooting mine and I wasn't paying attention (didn't have my plugs in yet). When he shot the round I thought my ears were going to start bleeding. Worst noise I have ever experienced from a gun and Ive heard a few without protection.

Happy hunting, I got a porcupine yesterday with my Single Six.

(Delaware County)

Nice shooting, I always say being out in the very cold separates the men from the boys!
    hope you warmed up and had fun.

(Lebanon County)

Default Good Feedback

Ranger 5 0 --- It does crack and I wear ear protection. The problem : I started shooting an '06 when I was a teen. Gotta stuff your ears with cotton. I was into my 20s when I had this ringing in the ears. Close to 50 years later, that teapot whistling in my ears is non-stop.

I will make an astute assumption. The cotton hanging out looked like I knew what I was doing, but it worked not ! ! ! Hold on --- Gotta run to the kitchen the teapot is boiling. Damn.

GRUMPYB I have a Bushnell 4 x 12 40mm on that lil' single. If IT has the potential I am seeing, I am tempted, really tempted to mount up a 20X Unertl on that H&R. The Bushnell is really creamy with fine hairs. The focus, eye relief, even in cold weather, they rotate smoothly and seal up great (no fog). It even has inside threads to attach a tube (forgot the name) in head on sun conditions. I can really use that function in the late afternoon hunting Chucks.

I like to believe I am an anomoly----Different is good----The dairymen where I hunt chucks ; 'thers's the guy with the non-camo Camo, he has a thumbhole pistol grip gun and a scope (Unertl) that costs 3X more than his .204. I will ask my Chuck Hunter ' "has Doctor upped your Meds ???"

YOU ONLY LOOK LIKE YOU LOOK ! ! ! A 5 does not post his age. Pray tell. This is suspect. Older than me ?? NAH ! !, but still suspect.
    fossil
    Last edited by ImAfossil; January 7th, 2012 at 07:41 PM.

(Beaver County)

Glad to see that you thawed out.I agree that it probably has the potential to warrant putting the 20X Unertl on that H&R.Let us know what you decide,and of course we'll expect a range report with pictures.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

(Lebanon County)

Default YIKES & Another Holy 'POOP SKi' ! ! !

Today was a nice day to stretch the legs. Never leave home without your camera or your best friend. Yes, Toby joins me for Chuck Huntin' and just plain old 'havin fun together'.

C'mon Toby lets do some scouting. Off we go to the best 100 acres of Ground Grizzly hunting, that I have permission to hunt. I can never seem to gain any ground on population control for the property owner. Only about 150 yards from here, I took my biggest Chuck ever. That is almost 60 years of chasing the Ground Grizzly, Back Pastuer Grizzly ; whatever you want to call them.

1st pic) Hey Old Guy. Mark this spot for the spring. Me smells goodies down in there. Always trust your VP of Chuck sniffin', Mr. Toby.

2nd pic) Hey Old Guy. Am I a pointer or flusher ?? To quote Quint in Jaws "The Taxidermy Man is gonna' faint when he sees what we brung him". Yikes ! ! I just bought a .204 Ruger. I may now consider a .458 African.

If anything pops its head out of there, I will have the big one.
    fossil
    Last edited by ImAfossil; January 7th, 2012 at 06:19 PM.

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: YIKES & Another Holy 'POOP SKi' ! ! !

Boy that is the biggest swamp chuck hole I have ever seen.
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.