Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

(Lackawanna County)

Default Loaded rifles in vehicle

I'm a bit rusty on the law for this one but someone recently told me that as long as you have your ltcf you can have a loaded rifle in the car. Now he didn't say at the ready but a loaded rifle in th range bag he claims is ok because of the lctf. I always have my sTuff unloaded a with the mags and ammo in a seperate container and will continue to do so because that's how I prefer it but if someone could post the statue or give a definite answer that'd be cool.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Loaded rifles in vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by mickey01023 View Post
    I'm a bit rusty on the law for this one but someone recently told me that as long as you have your ltcf you can have a loaded rifle in the car. Now he didn't say at the ready but a loaded rifle in th range bag he claims is ok because of the lctf. I always have my sTuff unloaded a with the mags and ammo in a seperate container and will continue to do so because that's how I prefer it but if someone could post the statue or give a definite answer that'd be cool.
    That someone is terribly wrong. You cannot have a long gun loaded inside a vehicle. You may have one in your car, but the ammunition must be stored in a separate container than the long gun.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    That someone is terribly wrong. You cannot have a long gun loaded inside a vehicle. You may have one in your car, but the ammunition must be stored in a separate container than the long gun.
    The closest you can get to a loaded rifle in a car in Pa is an NFA/AOW (edited to add NFA), a no-stock no VFG cut down AK or AR (or similar), or an FN Five SeveN.

Not only is it illegal to have a loaded long gun in the car, but it's illegal to even have the magazines in the same compartment of the case as the weapon, unless they are individually pouched up (and it must be a pouch that fully encloses the magazines)
    Last edited by Valorius; January 6th, 2012 at 02:11 AM.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Valorius View Post
    The closest you can get to a loaded rifle in a car in Pa is an AOW or an FN Five SeveN.
    Or an AR-15 or AK-47 Pistol, has all the hitting power of their rifle counterparts, just without the stock.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Or an AR-15 or AK-47 Pistol, has all the hitting power of their rifle counterparts, just without the stock.
    Yep, i was editing my post to include those as you were typing.

I think short barreled no stock/no VFG pistol/rifles are impractical, so i went the Five SeveN route.

(Allegheny County)

A popular option seems to be to get a rifle case that has external mounted magazine pouches. Keep your loaded mags in this pouch and the rifle in the separate main compartment. This way you only have one bag to grab and everything is kept close.

(Montgomery County)

The closest you can get to a loaded rifle in a car in Pa is an AOW, a no-stock no VFG cut down AK or AR (or similar), or an FN Five SeveN.

NO. wrong. no.... the following items are covered under the LTCF... this has been covered here MANY times:

Pistol or revolver with a barrel 15" or less
    Rifle with a barrel under 16" (SBR, OR MG, or LB/DD)
    Shotgun with a barrel under 18"(SBS)

so NFA items that fit the definitions above and legally possessed under the NFA Act of 1934 may be transported concealed on the person, loaded, or loaded in a vehicle.

Has to be registered as a handgun from it's inception, i believe. I researched this myself, some months back.
    no. again, no. "Registered as a handgun" crap, pleeeeeeeeeeeease, again see the definitions above as to what may be carried or possessed loaded in a vehicle under your LTCF.
    Last edited by JayBell; January 6th, 2012 at 01:58 AM.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

Quote Originally Posted by JayBell View Post
    NO. wrong. no.... the following items are covered under the LTCF... this has been covered here MANY times:

Pistol or revolver with a barrel 15" or less
    Rifle with a barrel under 16" (SBR, OR MG, or LB/DD)
    Shotgun with a barrel under 18"(SBS)

so NFA items that fit the definitions above and legally possessed under the NFA Act of 1934 may be transported concealed on the person, loaded, or loaded in a vehicle.
    That's what i (we- as Streaker said the same thing didn't he?) said? An AOW/NFA, or a chopped AR/AK type pistol.

If you feel i am disagreeing with you in some way, i defer to your expertize in whatever area we differ.
    Last edited by Valorius; January 6th, 2012 at 02:13 AM.

(Lycoming County)

The closest you can get to a loaded rifle in a car in Pa is an NFA/AOW (edited to add NFA)
    Or, meet one of the exceptions mentioned "The provisions of this section shall not apply to persons excepted from the requirement of a license to carry firearms under section 6106(b)(1), (2), (5) or (6) (relating to firearms not to be carried without a license)"

Be safe (and excepted (?).

Scott

(Lackawanna County)

Thanks for the clarification I was pretty positive you couldn't. I was also wondering how legal the tactical rifle cases were with the mags on the outside. Thats how I carry all of my ar15s but I also felt as though I was pushing it.

I keep the mags on the outside pockets and if I have more in another container like a box range bag or something and I keep the bolt open with no mag in case I do get stopped.

Can you keep mags in the compartment with the rifle loaded or not?

Since I got some people here answering questions, I know someone who walks around the streets with a loaded Ar or Ak. What's the deal with that?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast