Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Lackawanna County)

Default Loaded rifles in vehicle

I'm a bit rusty on the law for this one but someone recently told me that as long as you have your ltcf you can have a loaded rifle in the car. Now he didn't say at the ready but a loaded rifle in th range bag he claims is ok because of the lctf. I always have my sTuff unloaded a with the mags and ammo in a seperate container and will continue to do so because that's how I prefer it but if someone could post the statue or give a definite answer that'd be cool.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Loaded rifles in vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by mickey01023 View Post
    I'm a bit rusty on the law for this one but someone recently told me that as long as you have your ltcf you can have a loaded rifle in the car. Now he didn't say at the ready but a loaded rifle in th range bag he claims is ok because of the lctf. I always have my sTuff unloaded a with the mags and ammo in a seperate container and will continue to do so because that's how I prefer it but if someone could post the statue or give a definite answer that'd be cool.
    That someone is terribly wrong. You cannot have a long gun loaded inside a vehicle. You may have one in your car, but the ammunition must be stored in a separate container than the long gun.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Jefferson County)

It is illegal to have a loaded rifle or shotgun in, on, or upon your vehicle. It doesn't matter if you have a LTCF or not.

PA's LTCF is for "firearms"(handguns, SBS's, and SBR's). The LTCF only pertains to long guns during emergencies and in Philly.

Only loaded magazines must be in a separate container. Loose or boxed ammo can be anywhere, even duct taped to the gun.

18 Pa.C.S. § 6106.1: Carrying loaded weapons other than firearms
    (a) General rule.-- Except as provided in Title 34 (relating to game), no person shall carry a loaded pistol, revolver, shotgun or rifle, other than a firearm as defined in section 6102 (relating to definitions), in any vehicle. The provisions of this section shall not apply to persons excepted from the requirement of a license to carry firearms under section 6106(b)(1), (2), (5) or (6) (relating to firearms not to be carried without a license) nor shall the provisions of this section be construed to permit persons to carry firearms in a vehicle where such conduct is prohibited by section 6106.
    (b) Penalty.--A person who violates the provisions of this section commits a summary offense.

§ 6102. Definitions

“Loaded.” A firearm is loaded if the firing chamber, the nondetachable magazine or, in the case of a revolver, any of the chambers of the cylinder contain ammunition capable of being fired. In the case of a firearm which utilizes a detachable magazine, the term shall mean a magazine suitable for use in said firearm which magazine contains such ammunition and has been inserted in the firearm or is in the same container or, where the container has multiple compartments, the same compartment thereof as the firearm. If the magazine is inserted into a pouch, holder, holster or other protective device that provides for a complete and secure enclosure of the ammunition, then the pouch, holder, holster or other protective device shall be deemed to be a separate compartment.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    That someone is terribly wrong. You cannot have a long gun loaded inside a vehicle. You may have one in your car, but the ammunition must be stored in a separate container than the long gun.
    The closest you can get to a loaded rifle in a car in Pa is an NFA/AOW (edited to add NFA), a no-stock no VFG cut down AK or AR (or similar), or an FN Five SeveN.

Not only is it illegal to have a loaded long gun in the car, but it's illegal to even have the magazines in the same compartment of the case as the weapon, unless they are individually pouched up (and it must be a pouch that fully encloses the magazines)
    Last edited by Valorius; January 6th, 2012 at 02:11 AM.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Valorius View Post
    The closest you can get to a loaded rifle in a car in Pa is an AOW or an FN Five SeveN.
    Or an AR-15 or AK-47 Pistol, has all the hitting power of their rifle counterparts, just without the stock.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Or an AR-15 or AK-47 Pistol, has all the hitting power of their rifle counterparts, just without the stock.
    Yep, i was editing my post to include those as you were typing.

I think short barreled no stock/no VFG pistol/rifles are impractical, so i went the Five SeveN route.

(Allegheny County)

A popular option seems to be to get a rifle case that has external mounted magazine pouches. Keep your loaded mags in this pouch and the rifle in the separate main compartment. This way you only have one bag to grab and everything is kept close.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by QuackXP View Post
    A popular option seems to be to get a rifle case that has external mounted magazine pouches. Keep your loaded mags in this pouch and the rifle in the separate main compartment. This way you only have one bag to grab and everything is kept close.
    This ^^^^ is one of the easiest ways to do it, especially for a EBR or AK. "Tactical" case can be had from inexpensive to very expensive, depending on what you want to do with them.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(York County)

Are short barrels rifles like the ak and ar class three guns or need any extra paperwork beside that of a standard handgun?

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by StonewallRabbitry View Post
    Are short barrels rifles like the ak and ar class three guns or need any extra paperwork beside that of a standard handgun?
    They are not sbr's (short barreled rifles) unless you make them that way and then you need the tax stamp to do it. As long as they meet the requirements for legal barrel length and legal overall length, they are just rifles that happen to look like military rifles.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast