Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1911 help

(Cumberland County)

Default 1911 help

I have just purchased a new Kahr CM9 for my new concealed carry handgun, replacing my Ruger LCP. I have a Glock 19 and Smith and Wesson M & P 15for my home defense weapons. I recently commented to friends that i am now done buying firearms, and all stated that "you're never done buying firearms". They are right. I have been looking now at getting a 1911. For no rational reason other than they are cool and I want one. It is not for carry, just to have fun with. I am considering the Kimber Compact Stainless 2,but I am eager to hear from anyone out there who has a Kimber or any other 1911 for that matter. I am a Noob when it comes to 1911's so any and all advice is welcomed.

(Centre County)

Default Re: 1911 help

If you want one "just to have fun with", why do you want to spend that kind of money. You can get a 1911 to have fun with for under $500. The RIA Tactical comes with most of the bells and whistles people want, shoots great, and RIA has a great customer service if something were to go wrong (go to http://forum.m1911.org/forumdisplay.php?f=17) to see what a lot of people say about the RIA. Just sayin.

Here's one of my RIA's (Tactical Model, Cerakoted, Hogue grips, beveled mag well adapter, switched from the ambi safety to a single safety)

Last edited by Xringshooter; January 5th, 2012 at 02:05 PM.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Cumberland County)

that is a sweet looking gun, I have watched some youtube videos on RIA's. They are well-reviewed....Thanks I will look into them. Money isn't the issue, but i dont need to spend an arm and a leg, and with the money I save maybe I can buy another gun. Ha. Thanks for the reply.

(Berks County)

I have the 1911 bug bad. 1911's I would buy again: Remington R1, American Classic Commander (cheapie with great trigger, shorter, I carry it sometimes), Sig stainless(awesome), two Springfields (awesomex2). The one i would not buy again is my Taurus in stainless. Groups low left and poorly at that, moderate to bad mill marks inside the slide and frame. I had to file a bunch of stuff with jeweler files. I have since put the frame on a compensated 'no name' slide as a project.
    Heard RIA is decent and cheap.

R1 is good. Springfield and Sig are awesome. i shoot the Sig in 3 gun. The cheapo American Classic is good also, crisp triger, little shoddy on the machining quality. I had to polish the chamber to get her to eat my reloads.

There is tons of info out there...and opinions. Springfield has excellent customer service. Sig I heard good and bad. Same with Taurus.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by pokerguy005 View Post
    that is a sweet looking gun, I have watched some youtube videos on RIA's. They are well-reviewed....Thanks I will look into them. Money isn't the issue, but i dont need to spend an arm and a leg, and with the money I save maybe I can buy another gun. Ha. Thanks for the reply.
    Buy lots of .45 ACP to use in the 1911 instead!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Cumberland County)

Yeah I have heard good things about Sig, I am also looking at the S&W as well. Thanks.

(Cumberland County)

Yeah I actually just moved back to PA from Florida and I wanna start shooting IDPA. Like I said I am a Noob, but it is a great hobby/sport.

(Mercer County)

One thing is for sure, when it comes to 1911s, you have lots of options. As far as new options go, I really like Ruger's SR1911. It's a series 70 gun, meaning that it doesn't have a firing pin safety to hinder the trigger pull. I also like the look of Sig's new Scorpion 1911. That particular gun has A LOT of nice features for the money. S&W's E series is also a good option, if having an external extractor isn't a big deal to you. It is, however, a deal breaker for me. The Springfield Range Officer is also a really good option. It's a beginner competition grade gun, with many desireable features out of the box.

I'm not a big fan of Kimber. I have said it before, but I'll say it again. I think Kimber makes one of, if not the best looking 1911s on the market today. Due to the quality(or lack thereof) of their small parts and quality control, I feel that there are a plethora of better options out there for the same price.
    And remember, it's always a good option to go with the original: Colt.

It all comes down to one thing: how much are you looking to spend?
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

(Cumberland County)

Thanks for the info. I have heard that about Kimbers as well. The S&W's are nice as well, and you are right there are plenty of options. I watched a Youtube video on the Ruger and it looked like a nice gun at a not so unreasonable price. I would say I am looking at the top end $1000.

(Centre County)

Man, for $1000 you could get the RIA, a belt, a holster, extra magazines, a soft case and hard case and still have $300 for ammo
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast